Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When Henry VIII had gout, and by all accounts, he suffered like a dog, he was prescribed:

“Eye of newt and toe of frog, Wool of bat and tongue of dog…”

Thank God for Modern Medicine! lol

KB

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
GoDogs-

Do you take blood pressure medication? There’s one that can bring on a gout attack, but don’t recall the name.

To touch on what others have already said… water water water to help flush the uric acid out. I get attacks more often when I’m not drinking as much water as I should. Ibuprofen 800mg 3x a day as soon as I even think I feel an attacked coming on, and that usually nips it in the bud. If it doesn’t- have a Rx of prednisone on hand. Prednisone has made me go from unable to walk, to putting my boot on and off to work in 12 hours.

When your toe stops hurting- have your PCP refer your to a rheumatologist and get your uric acid level checked.

You’ll probably start taking allopurinol and repeat your labs as you increase the dosage of allopurinol until it’s at a desired level.

Regarding diet- a simple google will tell you what to avoid… shrimp, crab, scallops, pork, beef… can’t help you there. It sucks. But I find everything in moderation works well enough.

Sugar is very bad for gout, but specifically fructose. So obviously high fructose corn syrup is horrible. When your body metabolizes fructose the byproduct is uric acid. (I’m a little fuzzy on the specifics of this next part) However if there is fiber present the fiber neutralizes the uric acid… so things like sweet drinks are horrible- regardless if it’s soda or apple juice. Stay away from sweet drinks. Also try and pay attention to what fruits your eat- high sugar/low fiber fruits like melon and grapes should be avoided.

Good luck

Last edited by robertham1; 06/30/23.
X
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
X
I am the poster boy for gout unfortunately. So listed below are a few things to consider.
I finally got an appointment with a rhumatoligist (sp) and he finallly got me on the road to
being able to live with it.
Cochitine works! When you feel a twinge start taking it.
Dont stray far from a toilet and carry an extra pair of undies.
It will flush it out
I am on a daily dose of Alpurinal and it keeps my Uric acid below 6 nearly all the time.
He indicates that diet only influences outbreaks at less than 10 percent of the time.
Yes try to eat right just everything in moderation.
Prednisone is the elixer of the gods but.......if you are diabetic it will blow your blood sugars thru the roof.
Tramadol with the little bitty rat turd cochitine will knock it down quick then the Alpurinol will kick in and control it.
I have permanent damge in joints from trying to be the tough guy.
Go to the doctor.
YMMV i am not a Dr.
X

How can I tell you bye if you wont leave?
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Go to your doctor and ask for prendisone if you can take it. You will be up and moving within 24 hours. Been suffering from it for 10 years. Now on Alpurinol which helps. You can also try a daily combination of tumeric, cherry and celery seed supplements

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Tart Cherry juice and Colchicine / colcrys.

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I had it about 5 years ago. It hit me at Christmas time which is also late muzzle loader season. I missed about 3 days of hunting because I couldn't walk.

There's one thing to note, your uric acid levels peak in the middle of the night and the gout is at it's worst in the mornings when you wake up. Red meat, shell fish, asparagus, creamy rich sauces, beer, other alcohol, and pretty much everything you put in your mouth will cause it if you already have high uric acid levels. Deer meat is the worst of the red meats evidently. Chicken is the best meat that you can eat and cherry juice.

The doctor put me on prednisone to help clear it up and now I take Allopurinol every day. My uric acid levels hang around 4.5. When I got gout, my uric acid levels were over 8.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 06/30/23.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Deer meat is the worst red meat? Damn! Deer, elk and pronghorn are our only sources of red meat. We haven’t bought a package of plain ol ground meat in 35 or so years. Cook out steaks? It’ll be elk or deer.

My bp is fine. I’m 120-130/70 just about 99% of the time.

Need to lay off Cokes though….that’s my “cocaine”.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Alopurinol= how to chit though a screen door 101

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Black cherry juice ...not from concentrate. About the only home remedy that kind of works.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Colchicine 0.6mg tabs.... Kicks it's azz, there's a reason it's prescription > it'll cause major organ failure darn near all of them ! There's an episode of forensic files where some punk ass gives a bunch to his stepmother who is a fitness fanatic and works at a doctor's office and she has all her stuff shut down and they don't know why end up being the above shocked

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Oh yeah change your diet and your weight cauliflower is out orange juice is out, just about anything that tastes good is out in my opinion oh yeah beer ...goodbye lol

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
A few things I know to avoid are too many beef sticks and grouse. I take indomethacin and I get a bottle of Prednisone from Mexico. Take 2 indos at the very onset. I don't care if it's 2a.m. get your butt up and do it. If you wait till the morning, it's probably too late and the battle rages. High doses of ibuprofen can help. I don't drink a lot of beer anymore but I have a whiskey/sprite most nights. I drink probably close to a gallon of water daily. I never eat a breakfast and my other meals have no set time. Maybe a light lunch and supper around 10. Farmer's hours.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Deer meat is the worst red meat? Damn! Deer, elk and pronghorn are our only sources of red meat. We haven’t bought a package of plain ol ground meat in 35 or so years. Cook out steaks? It’ll be elk or deer.

Here ya go, read the whole article, but here's a list of foods to avoid. Hope this helps.

It is recommended that people diagnosed with gout follow a diet that does not include the following purine-rich foods:

Seafood: Although it is recommended that a healthy diet includes a lot of fish, people who have gout should be aware that some seafood can increase levels of uric acid in the blood, and may make gout worse.

High purine content: Anchovies, codfish, haddock, herring, mackerel, mussels, sardines, scallops, trout

Medium purine content: Crab, lobster, oysters, shrimp.

Meat: Though no longer part of a common diet in the United States, organ meats, such as liver, sweetbreads, and brains, are most dangerous for those with gout.

High purine content: Bacon, turkey, veal, venison

Medium purine content: Beef, chicken, duck, ham, pork

Vegetables: Studies do not show an association between high-purine vegetables and gout to the same degree as with animal-based purines, suggesting other factors than purine content also play a role. However, there are some beans that are particularly high in purines, so people with severe gout may want to avoid them.

Purine-rich vegetables: Asparagus, dried beans (especially fava and garbanzo), mushrooms, peas, spinach

https://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatic-diseases/purine-rich-foods-and-gout.aspx

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by StoneCutter

Here ya go, read the whole article, but here's a list of foods to avoid. Hope this helps.

It is recommended that people diagnosed with gout follow a diet that does not include the following purine-rich foods:

Seafood: Although it is recommended that a healthy diet includes a lot of fish, people who have gout should be aware that some seafood can increase levels of uric acid in the blood, and may make gout worse.

High purine content: Anchovies, codfish, haddock, herring, mackerel, mussels, sardines, scallops, trout

Medium purine content: Crab, lobster, oysters, shrimp.

Meat: Though no longer part of a common diet in the United States, organ meats, such as liver, sweetbreads, and brains, are most dangerous for those with gout.

High purine content: Bacon, turkey, veal, venison

Medium purine content: Beef, chicken, duck, ham, pork

Vegetables: Studies do not show an association between high-purine vegetables and gout to the same degree as with animal-based purines, suggesting other factors than purine content also play a role. However, there are some beans that are particularly high in purines, so people with severe gout may want to avoid them.

Purine-rich vegetables: Asparagus, dried beans (especially fava and garbanzo), mushrooms, peas, spinach

https://www.everydayhealth.com/rheumatic-diseases/purine-rich-foods-and-gout.aspx

Phew, I just bought Swordfish steaks for dinner this weekend, happy it was not on the list! lol

KB

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

No Cokes, elk, deer or pronghorn meat for you anymore young man! So sell your guns and buy your chicken with all of the "Smelly" Walmart Shoppers lol.

Actually, It's true about venison Deer more so than moose or elk. It was the only red meat I used to eat for years, now I eat it in limited amounts. Sucks!!!

Last edited by KillerBee; 06/30/23.

KB

C
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
KillerBee and others are spot on re gout. I’ve suffered from it since my mid 30s. It’s usually the right big toe but I have had it in the elbow and ankle. It is very painful to the point that you cannot stand air from a fan or the pressure of a cotton sheet on it. Walking to the restroom was out of the question. You had best invest in a urinal. My doctor puts me on colchicine or prednisone when I have an attack. I take 300mg of Aullipurinol daily and have done so for over 20 years for preventive measures. Diet plays a big part. My triggers seem to be red meat and organ foods like chicken livers and some processed lunch meats as souse, liver cheese salami,and the like. Gravy also seems to aggravate it. I have eaten fresh cherries and cherry and cranberry juice to assist. You have to be sure that the juice is real and not apple juice with flavor. I keep meds on hand as you don’t want to be without over a long weekend or holiday.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And high fructose drinks cause gout.

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Berry. He is the Donald Trump of medicine.

Anyway, I can tell from the replies that most people did not watch his video on gout that you were nice enough to link.

I hear gout hurts pretty bad and if I were hurting I would at least kill 20 whole minutes to listen to what Berry has to say.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My grandpaw said it feels like a horrible tooth abscess in your toe, must fuggin suck.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Absolutely. And anything else with sugar in it. And watch the Dr. Berry video. The good news is that the deer meat is most likely not a problem.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by RJY66
Originally Posted by jaguartx
And high fructose drinks cause gout.

I'm a huge fan of Dr. Berry. He is the Donald Trump of medicine.

Anyway, I can tell from the replies that most people did not watch his video on gout that you were nice enough to link.

I hear gout hurts pretty bad and if I were hurting I would at least kill 20 whole minutes to listen to what Berry has to say.

You dont have it, but are expert enough to comment and recommend. Are you a Dr?

MAGA
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 76 invisible), 2,933 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,735
Posts18,494,938
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.