Print Thread
Hop To
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Many years have passed since I bought a fiberglass stock for a pre-64. Used to be either Banser or McMillan for the most part. Who else is making a semi-inlet to drop-in stock for M70 these days? I’ve also heard that Banser has changed things up? Anybody with recent testimonies?

Stuck in airports, Terrorized
Sent to meetings, Hypnotized
Over-exposed, Commercialized
Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd take a Brown Precision over a Bansner any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I'd take a Brown Precision over a Bansner any day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Likewise.
But only because Mark isn’t currently inletting for the p64. wink

I love browns, but the new Bansners are very nice, and a heck of a value.

If/when he inlets for a p64, I’ll buy a few.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Tom I recently got a Bansner "Miller" model for a .270 EW build, the inletting was spot on and IIRC it came in at 24oz. or so with 1" pad.
I do like my McM's but the Bansner is certainly a good option now days.
The Browns are nice stocks but never seemed to fit me well.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Of the available options for a pre-64 what is a good one that doesn’t cost its weight in gold?

I don’t mind paying for quality and I’m of the buy once cry once mindset but I have a tough time justifying $800+ for machine milled fiberglass.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks fellas, sound like I’ll be keeping an eye out for Banser to start offering a Pre-64 option.

I hear ya Aces! I used to have a hard time justifying them when they were $550

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not sure when Bansner stopped inletting for the pre 64's?

Anyway, about a year ago I restocked a friend's pre '64 338WM into a Bansner stock. He provided the stock and said he'd had it for a couple years. The inletting was very nice and didn't need too much massaging before I pillar bedded it and did the center screw upgrade.

The Bansner made a big difference in the shootability of the gun.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Of the available options for a pre-64 what is a good one that doesn’t cost its weight in gold?

I don’t mind paying for quality and I’m of the buy once cry once mindset but I have a tough time justifying $800+ for machine milled fiberglass.
Is there a reason you guys insist on buying new? I buy used and don’t pay over $400.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus

After LAW when he upgraded his stocks. Last I spoke to him he still intended to offer it in the future - not sure of timeline.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Anyway, about a year ago I restocked a friend's pre '64 338WM into a Bansner stock. He provided the stock and said he'd had it for a couple years. The inletting was very nice and didn't need too much massaging before I pillar bedded it and did the center screw upgrade.

Good shootin' -Al
Sorry, but there’s no need for your center screw “upgrade”. Properly glass bed the rifle in any stock and it’s going to shoot a lot more consistently. I’ve pillar bedded pre 64’s myself and freefloated the barrels, add a dummy screw in the stock (if it’s a std wt), where the barrel tension screw is, and you are golden. Trying to tell guys otherwise is a shameless tactic.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good shootin' -Al
Sorry, but there’s no need for your center screw “upgrade”. Properly glass bed the rifle in any stock and it’s going to shoot a lot more consistently. I’ve pillar bedded pre 64’s myself and freefloated the barrels, add a dummy screw in the stock (if it’s a std wt), where the barrel tension screw is, and you are golden. Trying to tell guys otherwise is a shameless tactic.

BSA, shouldn't you be looking for your 1000 yard targets you promised to post over a month ago, or was that just a shameless tactic? 🤔

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MikeS
BSA, shouldn't you be looking for your 1000 yard targets you promised to post over a month ago, or was that just a shameless tactic? 🤔

Mike, I imagine you've stopped holding your breath by now. wink

The center screw modification, along with proper floor plate fitment, latch pin/spring and mag box tweaks all work together to not only improve accuracy consistency but also to insure against accidental floor plate opening in a hunting situation....which is not uncommon when stocks have been changed with two piece bottom metal 70's. Much of this is subtle in nature and not easy to describe or photograph. Sometimes it takes a bit of work on the mill to correct how everything fits and works together. It's definitely not for the bubble pack types or those that lack the ability to examine things thoroughly and look beyond the obvious.

While this is lost on the show-and-shine types, collectors, or those that run a box of ammo a year through a nice pre '64 (nothing wrong with any of those scenarios, of course) it does make a difference to guys that actually hunt these guns hard....like they were meant to be used.

Hope it wasn't too hot for you at Ben Avery yesterday!

Good shootin' smile -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Spot on as usual Al.

Only 4 of us at Ben Avery yesterday. Saw 97 on my truck thermometer when taking down the flags. About as hot as I want to shoot in!

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I ordered a Bansner stock yesterday for a commercial FN Mauser build. Asked the guy when they were going to offer stocks for Pre-64s and he said six to eight weeks. They are going to start with the standard rifle barrel contour, then the featherweight followed by the express. Hope this helps someone out...

He did say inletting for the cloverleaf tang was going to be a bit down the road, though...

Kansan

Last edited by Kansan; 09/14/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Great intel. Thank you.

Semper Fi
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great intel. Thank you.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MikeS

Good shootin' -Al

It was only 200-19x on lrfc he only post 200-20x lrfc targets. So maybe next time.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
TomM1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks for the update!

Handle me with Care...
-Traveling Wilbury's
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is all well and good, but I have extra pre-64 and pre-war stocks.

My last 1954 M-70 in 270 WCF was rescued with B&L scope-for $431 (US)...it now wears a period Lyman Alaskan.
Like figured burl stocks....work on elk and deer.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1badf350, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 61 invisible), 2,622 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,591
Posts18,473,436
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.