Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Dick, please tell the rest of the story about the shootout with the bad guy.

I have been after Dick to write a book, if even a compilation of all his short stories for at least 10 years. Probably more like 15 years now. He is a wealth of knowledge and has been doing what so many only talk about, handgun hunting on public lands, and doing so successfully. Stories like the one above are only icing on the cake!

Very cool. Would love to see that too, MacKay.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
GB1

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My first 29-2 (and first Model 29) was a 6.5". I have put many thousands of rounds through that gun. For a long time it was my only centerfire revolver, so it filled a lot of roles.

After years of reading articles by Ross Seyfried, John Taffin, Elmer Keith, etc, I contemplated for considerable time on what would be my ideal "Perfect .44".

I finally decided to have it built.

My favorite 29-2 is my 5" that was built from an 8 & 3/8ths" gun. The barrel was cut back and set up with the same interchangeable front sight system as the Classic/DX revolvers. The wide serrated trigger was narrowed and polished.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

From experience I found that the 5" was the sweet spot.

4" barrels were outstanding for a gun carried on the belt in a traditional holster. There was no reason to go shorter either as it did not gain you anything. With a 4" gun, with typical .44 Mag loads, recoil was still quite considerable. The sight radius was a disadvantage as compared to a 6.5" gun, but with practice you could still turn in some good accuracy.

The 6.5" guns, without question were the tops (for me) for hunting. Bear in mind that this is all in the pre-red dot sight days. As far as iron sight shooting, the 6.5" barreled Model 29 was perfect for getting optimal accuracy, especially at any decent distance. The downside was that it was not great for a belt carried gun, and getting into and out of a pickup truck on a regular basis. Great for hunting, but not great for a daily carry type gun.

The 5" gun was the ideal spot between. It was short enough, that when paired with a high quality holster like a 55BN from Milt Sparks, it was comfortable to carry all day on the belt, and was not a hinderance getting into and out of vehicles. The sight radius was such that I definitely shot it better than a 4" gun. As far as recoil goes. That extra 1" of barrel was notable. The 5" barrel really is the ideal barrel length for N Frames for me. It may not be for others, for various reasons such as height, or build or other reasons, but for me, it is perfect.

I would agree that I prefer my unlugged 5" M29 to the lugged one mentioned above.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Plab Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Plab: You are welcome and indeed your Model 29 does have the "target trigger, target hammer and target stocks (the "3 T's")" so it can be called "target model" if you wish.

Others: I heard from a "Hollywood type" that Clint Eastwood actually was "packin" a 41 Magnum during filming - that was declared to be a "44 Magnum revolver" in the movie.
The rumor was they could not readily obtain a 44 Magnum - IDK?
I look down the bore every time I watch the movie and I think I agree with that "rumor" though.
By the way the movie cost $4,000,000.00 (four million dollars) to make and initial theater release brought in $36,000,000.00 (thirty six million dollars) for the producers!
Thus some sequels.

I used to buy and sell S&W Model 29's VERY regularly!
Never was much for shooting them just seeking "profits".
I am down to just 5 Model 29's today some of which are new unfired in presentation boxes.
(2) Model 29-2's with 8 3/8" barrels
(1) Model 29-2 with 6 1/2" barrel (nickel plated)
(2) Model 29-6's with 6" barrels
Long live the pre-lock Smith & Wesson revolvers!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

target trigger. target hammer and grips ? I cant 'tell it apart from other 29's I've looked at what am I missing

plab

Gotta love them 303's
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The widest hammer and trigger are referred to as “target” widths and the stocks that enclose the area behind the trigger guard and the front of the grip frame are targets. I believe the hammer and trigger widths were .500”.

At the time your gun was produced I believe the only stocks S&W was marketing were the Magna, the smaller stocks that follow the outline of the grip frame, and the Targets. Targets we’re standard on M29s

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I bought my Model 29 6 inch new early 80,s very accurate and have shot it a lot have not shot it in years carry a 10mm with 220 grain cast bullets for bears. Shot the 29 with hard casts and the 10 mm side by side and found I could shoot it faster and with a lot more accuracy than my old favorite the model 29. Plus I can go out the door faster with the 10mm. Going for a boat ride or WE trip
its easier to grab the 10 and 3 loaded mags. Than round up the revolver and right ammo, could be a factor of too many birthdays also!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Plab asked " target trigger, target hammer & grips I can't tell them apart from others I've seen"

Because apparently you've not seen the standard model. They didn't even come in the mahogany box. Sort of rare after "The movie" & everybody wanted a Dirty Harry gun which was full optioned. So, S&W shipped most with a full set of options, at extra cost of course, & those options so common that they became pretty much standard. Sort of like pickups these days, the plain standard model rarely seen.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by gunzo
Because apparently you've not seen the standard model. They didn't even come in the mahogany box.

I've been shooting Model 29s for most of my adult life and I had no idea that a factory non-3T version existed. Can you point me to pics?

Genuinely curious, not busting your chops.

Thanks,

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
No, just seeing them in person in the mid 70's at the huge gun shop & police supply that we used to visit to dream of such things. Their police supply department may have been the source there.

But... before the gun control act of `68, & somewhat past that, S&W's could be had various ways, or special order. Much like American made vehicles of the day. Find one on the lot or not uncommon was to sit down & check of a list of offered options & wait a month or 2 longer & get exactly what you wanted.

I have a 1975 Outdoor Sports Headquarters master catalog that was a giant distributor in the day that used to list some of the more popular options of Smiths & others, seems the blue book of gun values would list the value of a gun & have adders for certain options. But by '75, Smiths were so scarce they stopped doing that. A dealer took what they could get & options weren't asked for, just a bonus if a gun came with some. For instance, a dealer might have to buy 10 model 10's to get a model 19, or the like.

Googling might find old S&W catalogs or option list. I didn't have much luck, but know they existed.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gun Digest also listed much of the kind.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I bought my first M/29-2 6.5" in 1976, it was used and I paid $240.00. Over the years I have owned several M/29's, I have had two shortened to 5" by Jim Stroh of Alpha Precision. One was an 8 3/8" M/29-2 and the other was a pre-29 4" that came with a correct vintage 6.5" barrel. I sold that S & W a couple of years ago for $2,500. Skeeter Skelton was my inspiration for creating the 5" M/29's, he knew what h was talking about they balance just right. My current S & W .44 Magnum is a pre-dash M/629 4", the second of these that I've owned. It would be that last S &W that I'd ever sell.

IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by okie john
Because apparently you've not seen the standard model. They didn't even come in the mahogany box.

I've been shooting Model 29s for most of my adult life and I had no idea that a factory non-3T version existed. Can you point me to pics?

Genuinely curious, not busting your chops.

Thanks,

Okie John

One of mine had a Patridge front sight. I sold it to Travis.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
No, just seeing them in person in the mid 70's at the huge gun shop & police supply that we used to visit to dream of such things. Their police supply department may have been the source there.

But... before the gun control act of `68, & somewhat past that, S&W's could be had various ways, or special order. Much like American made vehicles of the day. Find one on the lot or not uncommon was to sit down & check of a list of offered options & wait a month or 2 longer & get exactly what you wanted.

I have a 1975 Outdoor Sports Headquarters master catalog that was a giant distributor in the day that used to list some of the more popular options of Smiths & others, seems the blue book of gun values would list the value of a gun & have adders for certain options. But by '75, Smiths were so scarce they stopped doing that. A dealer took what they could get & options weren't asked for, just a bonus if a gun came with some. For instance, a dealer might have to buy 10 model 10's to get a model 19, or the like.

Googling might find old S&W catalogs or option list. I didn't have much luck, but know they existed.

Very true, a neighbor of my folks owned a small 5 and 10 in northeast Ga. He had the most S&W’s I’d ever seen. I mean dozens and dozens back in the early 70’s. He told me he had to buy a truck load of S&W shotgun shells (maybe Alcan) to get N frames like a 29 and 57. They were boxed and were $500 each. Model 60’s we’re the same $500.

I was able to buy a 3 1/2” nickel Model 27 from another dealer for $168 which was list price at the time.

I have a 1970 catalog that lists a bunch of options.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by EdM
One of mine had a Patridge front sight. I sold it to Travis.

I still got it!

Need to snap some new pics of my .44's.

I got one for each kid but some days these new prices are tempting. LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
[/quote

I have a 1970 catalog that lists a bunch of options.[/quote]

I've seen it, but would love to see it again, not to mention the younger guy could see how neat Smiths were in the day.

Any chance of a few photo's of that catalog?

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've seen it, but would love to see it again, not to mention the younger guy could see how neat Smiths were in the day.

Any chance of a few photo's of that catalog?

I’ll get a few photos, I looked for quite a few years to find one in good condition. Looking through it brought a tear or two….K-32 Masterpieces were still listed.

The only stainless listed was the Model 60. There were no autos other than the 39, 41, 52, and 61….those were the days.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]

url=https://flic.kr/p/2oNjPWf][Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com][/url]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 52 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,631
Posts18,474,346
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.