Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Got a Savage 220A in 410 and a Remington 742 30-06. Both for 400 out the door. Both cleaned up very nice and work as they should. Really just wanted the 410 for grandson but the owner said you need this one also. I thought it was a deal. So another 06 in the safe.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My condolences.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All the boys in my family got single shot 410's when we turned 14.

Good tradition.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
2-12's, 1-11 yr. old. Good to go now. 3-cases of 6 shot and 2- cases of slugs. Should be alot of killing happening this fall.

Thanks; Longbeardking. LOL

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
My condolences.
My Dad grew up pretty poor. A new gun from Sears was a big deal. In 1968 he won a 760 in 30-06 from the Deep Creek Lake VFD fund raiser. Shot my first deer with it. After Dad passed I kept it just because it was his. Finally sold it a couple years ago. I have his 03A3 with the original bill of sale, $14. I don't shoot it much, but I'll never sell that one. The 760, I don't miss.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
My condolences.
My Dad grew up pretty poor. A new gun from Sears was a big deal. In 1968 he won a 760 in 30-06 from the Deep Creek Lake VFD fund raiser. Shot my first deer with it. After Dad passed I kept it just because it was his. Finally sold it a couple years ago. I have his 03A3 with the original bill of sale, $14. I don't shoot it much, but I'll never sell that one. The 760, I don't miss.

This deserves a good 760 story. cool

I learned a lot about hunting bears from a fella that was crippled up pretty good. He'd worked for the railroad and some thieves wanted him to help them steal from the company and when he refused they worked him over with some iron pipes. Years later when we hunted together he was always setting up so he could intercept a bear crossing a two track dirt trail somewhere. Somewhere he could hopefully drive to since he wasn't able to get out in the steep ground well.

Well, he shot a 760 in 270. I thought that old pumpgun was just a novelty. Then one day we had our evening hunt planned and he showed up with that 270. He wanted to watch a piece of road where we had determined there was a good bear crossing at 5 every evening on his way to water. I dropped him off there and went down the canyon a mile or so to a spot where there was a monster bear. We had seen this bear twice and I had taken some hair off him at 236 yards with a 300 Winchester magnum, but he made good his escape.

Partway through the evening I heard Steve shoot so I climbed in the old Toyota and buzzed down to where I'd left him. He was huffing and puffing and told me the story of how the bear had come to the edge of the dirt road and looked down the bank and Steve had shot him with that old 760, THREE times! I swear he fired that old corn shucker so fast all three shots blended into one sound. We found the bear about 100 yards below the road piled up, deader'n hell.

I was so impressed with his ability with that old 760 I tried one the next season. It weren't for me but I can see how in the right hands those things are deadly.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by LazyL0228
2-12's, 1-11 yr. old. Good to go now. 3-cases of 6 shot and 2- cases of slugs. Should be alot of killing happening this fall.

Thanks; Longbeardking. LOL

Glad you can accept humor. That's how it was meant.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I was so impressed with his ability with that old 760 I tried one the next season. It weren't for me but I can see how in the right hands those things are deadly.

There's a lot of folks out there that don't like the 760s. Most of them haven't seriously used one.

At least you tried. smile

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Grandpaw always said it will hurt on both ends if you don't know how to shoot it.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by Fireball2

There's a lot of folks out there that don't like the 760s. Most of them haven't seriously used one.

At least you tried. smile

An Amish elder, a Remington collector, and an Oregonian walk into a bar. The bartender says, "Who brought the 760?"....

LOL
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those 760s make more noise than a coffee can half full of ball bearings on the back of a horse drawn lumber wagon bouncing down a dirt road.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by 99guy
Those 760s make more noise than a coffee can half full of ball bearings on the back of a horse drawn lumber wagon bouncing down a dirt road.
And for all these years I just said it rattled? Like all other pump guns! smile

Last edited by JoeMartin; 07/03/23.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I never said Dad’s didn’t shoot. It was plenty accurate out past 200 with the Redfield 2X7. I just knew I’d never hunt it again, and I wanted the Redfield for my 99R in 250.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My condolences.

That's a great one. It is also the truth........🤣😂🤣

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
And for all these years I just said it rattled?

They don't rattle any more than any other pump. Pretty popular in states where ginny grinders aren't legal for deer hunting.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My best friend was my late FIL. When he was 75, took him to the range with a beautiful Remington 760 in 270. He shot 3 times at 100 yards. Could cover the group with a nickle. Put it back in the case and said "thats all I need to know".

"Its easier to fool people......Than convince them that they have been fooled." Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I collected Remington Model 14s for a while.

As much as I loved the guns, I just couldn't take one hunting.

Carrying them through the woods makes more noise than a baseball card clothes pinned to the spokes of an old banana seat Schwinn with a sissy bar and the stick shift on the cross bar.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I collected Remington Model 14s for a while.

As much as I loved the guns, I just couldn't take one hunting.

Carrying them through the woods makes more noise than a baseball card clothes pinned to the spokes of an old banana seat Schwinn with a sissy bar and the stick shift on the cross bar.

You mean people actually carry these things?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
^^ WOW !! ^^

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Put a new O-ring on the forend and problem solved.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

245 members (264mag, 1_deuce, 204guy, 260Remguy, 31 invisible), 1,947 guests, and 1,120 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,755
Posts18,476,352
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.