Hop To
H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Looking for ring options.

I see Tally and Warne both make a 40mm tube. Has anyone used Tier One? Any other options someone would like to recommend?

HaYen

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Although that scope is illegal to hunt within Colorado, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it once you get things sorted out.

H
HaYen Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Lee_Woiteshek
Although that scope is illegal to hunt within Colorado, I'd appreciate your thoughts on it once you get things sorted out.

After talking to Fierce, the base will be the Remington 700 EGW Hunter with the 8-40 screws. After speaking with Swaro, the rings are going to be Tally dS40. Both Fierce and Swaro recommended a one-piece base for this scope / rifle combination.

As far as the scope goes, this is the second one for this person (I can't afford a $5k scope). His first scope was mounted by someone else for a equally pretty penny. I sighted in the scope, programmed it for his load (Weatherby 6.5-300 ammunition), and showed him how to use it. I also helped him with the finer points of longer shots. This guy has been hunting for nearly 40 years but never had to take a shot longer than 100 yards. My recommendation to him was carry spare batteries in his pack, on his stock bag, in his pocket. Like other electronic devices used in the field, there is not where you want to have a dead battery. A lesson he learned he hard way when his battery died when i was showing him how to shoot at longer ranges.

He got within 380 yards from a cow Elk last season and "squated" to take a shot. He missed and realized that was not one of the positions I showed him. On his second shot, he took a knee and leaned against a tree (my favorite). He put a perfect dbl lung shot on her. From the video that was shot, she took two steps and rolled down a hill for about 100 yards.

The entrance hole that the 127gr Barnes TTSX left was big enough for a Red Bull can slide into. Her inside were a complete mess. I love the fact that he put a quick and decisive kill on this animal but me / myself / personally I will stick to my non-electronic Vortex scopes (sorry folks). And bonus, I get to keep the existing Vortex Razor Gen II coming off the Fierce Fury 300 RUM as payment for helping shoot longer ranges and mounting his scope. SCORE!!!

Remember, not everyone has a happy ending, so be happy when you can

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

456 members (117LBS, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 2,732 guests, and 1,161 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,972
Posts18,499,375
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.