Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
Well, this is the second question thread I will have posted today so bear with me.

The good woman has decided that she does not like using my beloved cast iron pans for when she cooks, so the search is on for a general use pan that meets the following criteria:

Nonstick
No teflon
Not as heavy as cast iron
Ideally made in USA but fat chance of that
Economically priced (Not a Williams-Sonoma $150 pan)
Must have a lid

I appreciate any useful and user based input that you may have. Thank you all in advance.

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Well, this is the second question thread I will have posted today so bear with me.

The good woman has decided that she does not like using my beloved cast iron pans for when she cooks, so the search is on for a general use pan that meets the following criteria:

Nonstick
No teflon
Not as heavy as cast iron
Ideally made in USA but fat chance of that
Economically priced (Not a Williams-Sonoma $150 pan)
Must have a lid

I appreciate any useful and user based input that you may have. Thank you all in advance.
Even we lovers of traditional cast iron need one good nonstick pan. What I use, and highly recommend, is the Ninja Foodi NeverStick. Mine is the 12 inch version. I use it frequently, and it has retained its nonstick surface for a couple of years, with little if any sign of wearing out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
last nonstick i bought was a cookie sheet on the advice of a friends wife... washed it, put in oven @350* per instructions... house stunk like chemicals, wouldn't quit... washed & heated it 4/5 more times, still stunk!... took that sumbitch back for a refund... food grade stainless & cast iron for me!...

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did the cast iron work for you except for the weight?

IC B2

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Don't get a Blue Diamond!

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The holy purists of the 'fire will recommend divorce (if not stoning).

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Not much help here. I gave up on nonstick decades ago...the ones that "flaked" off after a few months. Not sure what's available these days. Stainless and CI for me.

There can be a wide range of weights for different brands of CI. What brand of CI were you using?

U.S. government was established to represent citizens, NOT TO RULE OVER THEM.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 5sdad
The holy purists of the 'fire will recommend divorce (if not stoning).

This is correct!

But seriously folks, there have been several threads recently regarding carbon steel pans.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The wife has a scanpan. Made in Denmark. It's PFOA and PFOS free. The company's pans are made using a proprietary product they call Stratanium. They do contain some PTFE. Totally safe? Probably not.

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Go to Sam's Club and go to the restaurant supply section and get one of their commercial pans. They're very heavy aluminum and come with an excellent non-stick. I've had one several years and it holds up better than any consumer grade pan. They're not pretty, just utilitarian and made for restaurant kitchens. Don't go to the regular cookware aisle where they have the consumer cooking pan sets, go to the section where they have the restaurant supplies.

Alternately a restaurant supply store locally if you have one, or a web-based one like this:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/2705/fry-pans.html

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Don't buy expensive ones because they all last about the same in my experience.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
This has become a favorite around our house.

My wife is a serial abuser of cast iron. She thinks it needs to go through the dishwasher. And cast can be a bit hard on a glass range top. So I keep the cast seasoned and hid away from her. She uses non-stick, until they are not any more and then replaces them. We have had some fairly spendy nonstick from Caphalon and Analon. But this moderately priced frying pan serves better than any we have tried in the past. And it has not warped yet as so many of our others have.

The honeycomb SS protects the teflon. Eggs, bacon, and pancakes slide right out of ours.
Available in 8 in, 9 1/2 in, 10 in, and 12 in.

ETA:I see you said no teflon. I do not know what the nonstick surface on these actually is. We have not had any "Teflon Problems" with ours.

They make "Ceramic coated pans. Our experience is: Ceramics suck donkey dick!

Scratch Resistant & Metal Utensils Safe - With this stainless steel pan, you can stop worrying about toxic kitchen gear that leaches chemicals into your food, bubbled and melted plastic and wooden spatulas accumulating harmful bacteria or burning. Use a metal spatula or spoon with rounded edges.

https://www.amazon.com/MICHELANGELO...eycomb+pan&qid=1689029967&sr=8-4

[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]
[Linked Image from m.media-amazon.com]

Last edited by Idaho_Shooter; 07/10/23.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
V
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
V
I appreciate all of the replies thus far.

To answer a few questions:

-The cast iron works great. I love it. However, my old lady does not like the weight or upkeep when she cooks, hence the thread.

-I use Lodge cast iron for almost every, except for the largest dutch oven, which is at least 70 years old and I do not know the brand.

I will look at everything that has been posted in this thread, and again I very much appreciate the information.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
That [bleep] Gordon Ramsey promotes Hex Clad.

They are spendy though.

Probably be money ahead if they last though.

I am MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
We bought one of these for my sister in law.

I did a little research and they had good reviews. It has some sort of ceramic coating that is supposed to be safer than the synthetic types.

https://www.carawayhome.com/products/fry-pan/?color=navy

Just see that you need a lid, not sure if the one we bought came with a lid but I bet they make a lidded version.

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/10/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We have le creuset’s nonstick pans and they are excellent but I believe they are on the upper end of the cost spectrum. But from a performance standpoint, they are like new after 1yr+ of daily use and my wife is pretty rough on cookware.

Edit: I forgot you mentioned lids. I don’t think they’re available for these.

Last edited by Gypsy_Wind; 07/10/23.

Fear the crabcat.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Caphalon is what I am using right now. They are better than most.

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by SamOlson
We bought one of these for my sister in law.

I did a little research and they had good reviews. It has some sort of ceramic coating that is supposed to be safer than the synthetic types.

https://www.carawayhome.com/products/fry-pan/?color=navy

Just see that you need a lid, not sure if the one we bought came with a lid but I bet they make a lidded version.

Sam, those are very pretty.

Our problem with ceramics (or so called granite) has been that the sugars from cured meat glazes onto the ceramic and then eggs stick to that glaze.

Nothing I like better than eggs fried in bacon grease, but we could never do that with a ceramic clad that we tried.

Are yours different in this regard?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
The wife is a little nutty about chemicals from the non-stick getting into the food, so it's either cast iron or stainless.
She cleans the cast iron with salt and cooking oil. It does pretty well for clean-up that way.
The stainless can be hard to clean at times.

B L M - Bureau of Land Management
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 63 invisible), 3,496 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,744
Posts18,535,426
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.