Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
jnyork Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My USAA homeowner's insurance went up over 75% after we renewed. We can no longer afford it.

What company should I be looking at to get good insurance for a reasonable price? What has been your experience?

All help appreciated. Thanks

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
I'd check Farm Bureau

FJB & FJT
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Visit your local independent insurance agent. Be prepared to also shop out your auto/boat/umbrella coverages too, as getting the best rates often requires multi-policy discounts.
Compare apples to apples. Watch the coverage amounts and stated values closely.

All homeowner/landlord policies have increased significantly in every market. In my market alone, my primary residence has increased $1000 over the last two renewal periods without claims activity.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
We've had Erie for over twenty years. I'd also try Amica. I usually get quotes every couple years, Erie has been consistently competitive. They also get reasonable customer service ratings, though I don't think as high as USAA.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by WTM45
Visit your local independent insurance agent. Be prepared to also shop out your auto/boat/umbrella coverages too, as getting the best rates often requires multi-policy discounts.

All homeowner/landlord policies have increased significantly in every market. In my market alone, my primary residence has increased $1000 over the last two renewal periods without claims activity.

Sound advice here. I just did this and saved $4600 a year for same coverage on auto, home and umbrella.

IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D

Do the above.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had Erie Insurance for 40 years. Moved to Progressive and saved almost half on cars and house. Same discount at Gieko. Felt like a fool paying too much for years. I guess you have to switch every few years so they don’t slowly raise the rates. Shop around. It was easy to get quotes, somehow all my info in shared by insurance companies, so all my deductibles and coverage automatically popped up. That was a little creepy.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Good advice, but, I am an independent broker.

I find many people have very low deductibles, and by increasing the deductible, you can usually save a good amount of money. Consider raising your deductibles on the cars as well, then put the savings in the 'cookie jar'.

If you look at the last time you had a claim, you night find that you would have saved a lot of money going with a higher deductible on everything.

Most insurance companies will also pay the homeowner the same rates they pay a pro, such as a plumber, painter, etc., so with some 'sweat equity', you can justify a higher deductible, especially if you are handy.

And, yes, here in the Front Range of Colorado, I am seeing double digit increases, especially on homes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My local agent is a good friend and he shops our policies every August at renewal. Not unusual for us to change insurers often. Our renewal was going to go up 1200. He shopped our policy, bundled with auto and our home policy is going up 675 instead.

Last edited by philgood80; 07/11/23.

Government is like a baby: An alimentary canal with a big appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. - Ronald Reagan

For why should my freedom be judged by another man's conscience? - 1 Corinthians 10:29
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Raeford
I'd check Farm Bureau

This.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My rates doubled last year and that was after I quadrupled my deductibles

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have had Shelter for both auto and home. Never another but I have shopped.

Auto for 32 years and homeowners 26 years.

Never an issue with crazy rate hikes or hang ups with the only 3 claims I have had.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by k22hornet

Good advice, but, I am an independent broker.

I find many people have very low deductibles, and by increasing the deductible, you can usually save a good amount of money. Consider raising your deductibles on the cars as well, then put the savings in the 'cookie jar'.

If you look at the last time you had a claim, you night find that you would have saved a lot of money going with a higher deductible on everything.

Most insurance companies will also pay the homeowner the same rates they pay a pro, such as a plumber, painter, etc., so with some 'sweat equity', you can justify a higher deductible, especially if you are handy.

And, yes, here in the Front Range of Colorado, I am seeing double digit increases, especially on homes.

Funny how insurance pretty much tracks housing increases, my house more than doubled in value over the last 2 1/2 years and so did my insurance.

Swifty
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by jnyork
My USAA homeowner's insurance went up over 75% after we renewed. We can no longer afford it.

What company should I be looking at to get good insurance for a reasonable price? What has been your experience?

All help appreciated. Thanks
USAA rates have gotten very expensive and are no longer the competitive rates they used to be. The service too is nowhere near as good as it used to be.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I’m not even sure what is a high rate for home owners insurance anymore. We own a 2218 square foot brick home, built in over sized garage, and a 1,000 square foot workshop that is finished as nice as a home, inside and out. Our annual premium is $1400.
High? Low? Average?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
"Funny how insurance pretty much tracks housing increases, my house more than doubled in value over the last 2 1/2 years and so did my insurance."

Did your Dwelling Coverage A go up 2 1/2 times, or just the annual premium?

Most insurance companies have the Dwelling Coverage A increase on auto-pilot, using whatever matrix they have. They don't want you underinsured anymore than you do, but, most insurance companies are using 1-2 year old Replacement Cost figures, so they are behind the times to begin with.

In December, 2021, in the span of about 24 hours, the Marshall Fire in Superior/Boulder County, Colorado, wiped out about 1,050 homes and buildings. After the smoke cleared, many of the homes were under-insured. That is one conversation I never want to have with my client.

If your house costs $300,000 to rebuild, but you insure it for $350,000, you will pay a few bucks more each year for coverage.

On the flip side, if it costs $300k to rebuild and you have $200k in coverage, that will cost you ten's of thousands of dollars.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
I’m not even sure what is a high rate for home owners insurance anymore. We own a 2218 square foot brick home, built in over sized garage, and a 1,000 square foot workshop that is finished as nice as a home, inside and out. Our annual premium is $1400.
High? Low? Average?

Where you are located has a huge impact on rates, as does age of home, age and type of roof, distance to FD, and much more.

For example, I just had a client move from the Front Range (Denver Metro area) over the Divide to Grand Junction.

We insured his Denver home for $461,000, and the cost of insurance was about $2,300 Per Year.

We insure his Grand Junction home for $592,000, and the insurance cost is $1,028 Per Year.

Grand Junction has very little damaging hail, whereas the Front Range, from Cheyenne, Wy down to Pueblo CO, has more damaging hail storms than anywhere on the planet.

We were in our last house for 21 years, and my neighbors on each side of me replaced the roof 3 times in those years. I waited until we got the golf-ball sized hail in 2018, and then replaced the roof. If it's not leaking, and I was not going to sell, I saw no reason to replace the roof for minor hail damage, which, of course, saved me from paying multiple Deductibles.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I own a disaster cleanup company. I don't buy insurance based on price. USAA is probably the best insurance carrier you can find. I can't get their insurance. but my typical insurance rates are 7-900 on a home. 75% would still be less than $1300, thats not going to break me. all the carriers have raised insurance prices quite a bit. Your replacement cost has probably went up or should have went up like 35% in the last 3 years.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Absolutely agree with going through an independent. Most of them work extremely hard to keep their clients rates down, to keep the clients happy.

Some states like California and Florida only have a few companies willing to write any new homeowners policies with greatly reduced coverages.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
A big part of the increase nationwide is the costs of reinsurance is going way up. I have heard 300% in some cases. High inflation is destroying the value of existing bonds in insurance companies portfolios. There’s big losses in commercial real estate also. Money is much more expensive at the higher interest rates. This is getting passed on to consumers.

‘TO LEARN WHO RULES OVER YOU, SIMPLY FIND OUT WHO YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO CRITICIZE’

Conspiracy theorists are the ones who see it all coming…

You are the carbon they want to eliminate !

I’m Uber Deplorable Ultra MAGA !
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (1minute, 2500HD, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 67 invisible), 2,153 guests, and 1,031 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,486
Posts18,508,944
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.