DF

GB1

E
eblake Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
I got it for a little under $700. It isn’t perfect but sure looks nice to me. I had a very short range session with it right after I brought it home. It has a great trigger and did well by my open sight standards.
I’m at camp with the rifle but without my technology consultant so will try to post some pics but may have to wait until she gets here.
The sight was adjusted close to where I want it but I would like to lower the poi a little. The adjustment knob on the Lyman sight would not turn readily and I did not want to force it. Is there a locking screw for the vertical adjustment? Suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do you have the 57 E or 57 EW sight? If so, there is a very small screw right behind and inboard of the vertical adjustment screw that acts as a down stop. I believe it is to act as zero stop once you are sight in and get the side plate adjusted . You would need to use a very small screwdriver- think eyeglass screw size - to adjust it a bit or push the release button on the rear of the sight and release the bridge portion of the sight and remove it. Then, if necessary grind or file carefully the end of the screw until you have the right height adjustment. I'll see if I can find a picture of one on the net to show the parts I'm trying to describe.

[img]https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/LYMAN57B[/img]

Last edited by Sheister; 05/17/23.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Looks like a keeper to me!

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

E
eblake Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
Thanks for the info. I’m not sure of the model number. I had assumed sight adjustments just required turning the knobs. The sights are so close now that I’m reluctant to screw things up by not knowing what I’m doing.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Nice!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Model number should be on the rear of the sight, right below the push button release for the bridge.

Very nice rifle as all of these are IMO.. the first one I bought had been drilled and tapped by some Bubba and the holes weren't well aligned so I bought some Leupold gunsmith bases and made some custom bases to fit the action and the misaligned holes. Came out great and looks factory to me. If it were mine, it would never be leaving so I wouldn't be worried about D&Ting the action for bases even if it did hurt the value a little. The added usefulness of the rifle with a scope on it would be worth every penny and mine shoot bugholes at 50 yards and beyond with ammo it likes.
The second one I got is like yours- not grooved for a scope and not drilled and tapped, but the stock was a bit rough so I refinished it and recut the checkering a bit to clean up some damaged diamonds and it looks great. I bought it for a great price to refinish and flip but I'm having a hard time letting it go. Then a buddy gave me a 57EW just like the one on yours for mine so I'm in good shape with it. I may have to get some use out of it before passing it on but time will tell.

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats, great find. Good looking rifle, Nice to see a rifle stock made for iron sights with iron sights.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The grooved receiver for a 75 sporter as is the winchester 63 and 61 bring a very high premium as they are desired for scope mounting. Seek these out rather than drilling and tapping for bases for scope mounting. I consider doing this as heresy to a fine rifle. Plenty of Bubba jobs out there to buy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice. I’d not fret over what was paid. The pleasure of using it and pride of ownership will last long after the pain of paying for it.

Congrats!

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The Model 75 Sporter is a truly fine Winchester rimfire. I kinda think of them as a Model 69 "Super Grade" (which is, in its own right, one of the most accurate 22s II've ever owned.
I concur that drilling and tapping isn't the best way to mount a scope with due to the the value drop.

Enjoy it.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (16penny, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 17Hunter, 163bc, 1234, 69 invisible), 2,041 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,828
Posts18,496,595
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.