-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
went on a 7 mile hike back in 2019 - In May , the temp was 82 degrees, did the hike without stopping

went again in July same year, the temp was 96, I thought I was going to die - I ended up laying down on a rock in the sun for about 20 minutes because I couldn't go on , trying to hydrate myself. Eventually I trudged my way out 100 yards at a time.

That was an eye opener for me.

I've done the hike multiple times since then but never above an 85 degree day.

Last edited by KFWA; 07/17/23.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
F
They pulled another one off Mt Shasta yesterday afternoon with the CHP chopper. Non heat related injury. Peloton machine doesn't prepare you for the real world of rocks, 14,000 ft, and snowbanks.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
We send billions and bilions of dollars to foreign countries that doesn’t do us a bit of good yet you clowns want someone to pay for being rescued. I’m glad you aren’t my neighbors.

Last edited by ridgerunner_ky; 07/17/23.
E
ERK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
An accident is one thing. Being stupid should cost ya. Edk

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by ridgerunner_ky
We send billions and bilions of dollars to foreign countries that doesn’t do us a bit of good yet you clowns want someone to pay for being rescued. I’m glad you aren’t my neighbors.

Should you pay for bypass surgery?

Insurance yes?

I am MAGA.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RMiller2
Not everyone wants to live to 100 with their ass in a couch.

Yepper, at 66 that’s where I’m at.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
At least he wasn’t sitting on a couch watching reruns of gunsmoke.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I agree but I think it's a different thing to die doing your normal activity that you enjoy VS dying because you vastly overestimated your ability. I don't want to die knowing I F'ed up and should have known better.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by RHClark

I agree but I think it's a different thing to die doing your normal activity that you enjoy VS dying because you vastly overestimated your ability. I don't want to die knowing I F'ed up and should have known better.

I’d have to know the guy’s background/experience before passing judgement. IME if you’re dressed properly and have enough salt and water on hand one can function in surprisingly hot environments dependent on your physical conditioning.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J

I’d have to know the guy’s background/experience before passing judgement. IME if you’re dressed properly and have enough salt and water on hand one can function in surprisingly hot environments dependent on your physical conditioning.

Well....he was obviously very well prepared.....

I am MAGA.
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Getting a rescue bill is complete BS. Isn't rescue a job they are all already getting paid for?

I kind of agree. I worked for LA County fire for 31 years. At one point they tried charging for paramedic rescue transport. Some prominent people pointed out that the FD budget included all air operations and that taxpayers shouldn't be paying twice. It was a flat rate of something like $1300. It got shut off before there was even a chance to try it.
As far as know what they signed up for? Agree with that too. If I didn't want to stand on a hillside doubled up in nomex in 100 degree weather, I could transfer into another assignment that didn't go on wildland fires. Nobody gets drafted into the fire service/EMS.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Darwin Award.

I don't care how well you're prepared, going for a pleasure hike in the desert when it's 118* doesn't sound like a good idea or fun for that matter.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I guess you guys never heard the expression "no such thing as a free lunch".

Sheesh.

I won't ask about college loans and socialized health care......

I am MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The first thing they taught us in college level economics 101 is that there are no free lunches. Somebody has to pay for it. It got easier to understand after you grasped that very important fact. One student mentioned he thought it was a great concept. The prof corrected him right away and said it wasn't a concept it was a fact. The next lesson was that the government doesn't produce income , they can only redistribute it. People need rescuing enough when they find themselves in trouble at no fault of their own without stressing the resource because they are stupid. I live by the gulf of mexico. I know all bout people doing dumb crap out on the water and needing rescued.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by RIO7
This is a everyday thing with Illegals here in S.Texas, so far this year they have found 58 dead from the
heat in Starr County. Rio7

58 that won’t be getting government handouts

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Darwin Award.

I don't care how well you're prepared, going for a pleasure hike in the desert when it's 118* doesn't sound like a good idea or fun for that matter.

Just to add context, roofers and highway paving crews probably encounter such temperatures regularly.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123
The first thing they taught us in college level economics 101 is that there are no free lunches. Somebody has to pay for it. It got easier to understand after you grasped that very important fact. One student mentioned he thought it was a great concept. The prof corrected him right away and said it wasn't a concept it was a fact. The next lesson was that the government doesn't produce income , they can only redistribute it. People need rescuing enough when they find themselves in trouble at no fault of their own without stressing the resource because they are stupid. I live by the gulf of mexico. I know all bout people doing dumb crap out on the water and needing rescued.

Yes, somebody has to pay for everything. That's not the point. If the service is already in the budget and it's not a private company then it's already paid for by everyone. It's not like any money recouped would go back to the taxpayer and it's not like every dollar is spent wisely. What we are really talking about is a fine on the individual and no specification or accountability of the money collected. It's just a way for somebody to line their pocket. That's what I'm against.

Now you are all correct that extra dumb should cost something. That's where laws come into play. If you so wished by enough people, you could make it a law that you couldn't hike on such and such place in such and such conditions. If we have to go rescue you then, you get fined.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Line their pocket......

Does the budget money get conjured?

I am MAGA.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Line their pocket......

Does the budget money get conjured?

Is the department budgeted by the charge imposed on the victim, or is it already funded before whatever arbitrary charge is imposed? If the charge is expected and already added into the budget, then it should be public knowledge exactly what that charge is. The public should know what that charge is and what level of stupid triggers it. I would say that sounds like a fine, which I said I wouldn't object to.

Last edited by RHClark; 07/17/23.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I don't know about this instance specifically but Phoenix closes some of it's hiking trails in hot weather so it's possible that he may have been hiking illegally.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (10Glocks, 219 Wasp, 21, 1minute, 1OntarioJim, 56 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,432
Posts18,489,277
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.