Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
I’ve found the JDS QuickMeasure to be very good at precisely throwing both stick and ball powder.
I have had a JDS for around 10 years, but have never set it up. I may have to do so as loading hundreds of varmint rounds gets old with an electronic scale and trickler setup I use.

Agreed. In addition to a full QuickMeasure setup I have a variety including a Little Dandy with an aftermarket weight although a roll of quarters is said to work and a Harrels to say nothing of RCBS and Hornady with micrometer screws and assorted sizes of drums and baffles. Lee has a good reputation for pistol size loads of flake powders. Searching this board on QuickMeasure will find many posts in praise for large drops of log powders. For large lots of varmint rounds I go with the Harrels and powders that work to include for ease in the field.

GB1

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Lee Perfect Powder Measure. I've tested these against RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and Dillon 550 powder drops, and they are much more consistent with extruded/stick powders....and considerably cheaper. I *really* like them with Varget, so much so that I have two of them set up for 5.56 and .308 loads.

C
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
I am using my Lee Perfect Powder Measure now. Good idea for having two.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Also a good idea to have another measure for spherical or flake powders.

I have at least half a dozen powder measures, and used a bunch of others over the years. Many work better with some kinds of powders, or larger or smaller charges, than others....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
One of my measures, which I built around 10 years ago. Modeled after the old Pacific pistol powder measure, it dispenses small charges of flake powders very accurately.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Al_Nyhus
The silver duct tape is an 'undocumented feature'. grin

It’s documented now…….😎

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

You do as I do, set your load station up on an adjacent bench. I have gotten some nasty attitudes from it. When it gets that busy I don’t want to be there anyway.

Seriously jealous of that stock!

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I all but forgot about my Lee Perfect measure. Introducing my future son in law to reload and will break it out again. The dippers were driving him nuts.

I did discover that 20-somethings may not have the patience to focus on singular tasks for the purpose of recreation.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
chargemaster 1500

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I've thrown about 9,000,000,000 charges of 4350 and Varget with a Redding.

If that ain't working for you, nothing will.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Reloder28

You do as I do, set your load station up on an adjacent bench. I have gotten some nasty attitudes from it. When it gets that busy I don’t want to be there anyway.

Seriously jealous of that stock!

If it's busy, I do my loading off the tailgate and clean on the bench. We just had a new 80' long over head cover done and later this month the concrete guys will be back. There will be an 8' apron at the rear and a 6' apron to the front. With the rear concrete apron, there will be room for loading/cleaning tables. The front apron will clean things up for mowing and help the gas gunners find their brass.

Thanks for the stock comments...the purple/white gel coat is my favorite combo. smile

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks to Creekside's mention I pulled out the Lee Perfect Powder measure and loaded up some H4350 for my 260 Rem using new PRVI brass. I partial resized and that stuff was tough.

Once I calibrated I would say somewhere around half of the dumps were close to spot on. The remainders were shy and I used a trickler to get them up to weight. Overall it did cut down my weighing times over using scoops by a fair amount.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the stock comments...the purple/white gel coat is my favorite combo. smile

I'd dub it the "Flying Purple People Eater" grin

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Creekside0423
Best powder measurer for H4350/varget types of powder? These are giving me fits. I always go back to my basic Lee.

Your hand and a spoon is quite bullet proof.

Otherwise, RCBS Chargemaster with tube baffle works great with those two powders.

Robert E. Lee
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Once I calibrated I would say somewhere around half of the dumps were close to spot on. The remainders were shy and I used a trickler to get them up to weight. Overall it did cut down my weighing times over using scoops by a fair amount.

The trick to these measures (pretty much all of them) is doing the same thing consistently with each powder throw. I tap mine a couple times, and found it would stay within 0.1-0.2gr with Varget in 5.56 (24gr) or .308 (somewhere around 44gr). I've even read where some guys would strap *ahem* small vibrating cylindrical devices to the side of the hopper, which supposedly makes them even more consistent.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've liked my Redding BR30 for over 40 years.

MOLON LABE
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
boatammo,

That's probably the powder measure I use the most--and as hinted at earlier have used (and still own) a bunch.

As mentioned earlier (and Al Nyhus agreed with) playing with the baffle depth makes a "measureable" difference.

Also have a Redding 10x handgun measure, and an LR-1000 for large rifle charges. They work just as well.

But have several other powder measures which also work ver well, as mentioned in a previous post--including a Lyman 55 with the Culver conversion that Ken Oehler gave me some years ago. It's extremely accurate, especially with lighter rifle load typical of short-range benchrest rounds, and smaller varmint cartridges such as the .204 and .223.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jason280

The trick to these measures (pretty much all of them) is doing the same thing consistently with each powder throw. I tap mine a couple times, and found it would stay within 0.1-0.2gr with Varget in 5.56 (24gr) or .308 (somewhere around 44gr).
I think there is something to what you say. Being as I hardly have ever used it I think I could improve consistency a bit. I still weigh each load for rifle but this is taking a little of the most frustrating parts away,

. Confucius
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think many folks would be very surprised if they tested thrown vs trickled charges.

I tested both at 600yd with 20 round groups (hunting rifle - not F-class) and stopped weighing charges after that. With RL16, need to test H1000.

Sean
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by SeanD
I think many folks would be very surprised if they tested thrown vs trickled charges.

I tested both at 600yd with 20 round groups (hunting rifle - not F-class) and stopped weighing charges after that. With RL16, need to test H1000.

Hear, hear!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (300_savage, 69sportfury, 17CalFan, akpls, AKislander, Akhutr, 11 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 981 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,547
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.