Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
So
Dumb construction worker from off the farm in the lower 48 here, was wondering if the fires are so bad because the government says you can't cut down dead tress without them doing some sort of study and or paperwork?
We have beetle killed pockets of Nat'l forest that loggers, ranchers, and other people with common sense can see and report to the feds, but they will not allow any cutting until the paperwork and permits are issued.
I was told usually 3 to 5 years.
By then the trees are rotted, not worth cutting for even firewood, and then they go poooooofffffff at a lightning strike.
Good luck by the way with them fires and any hardships they are causing up there.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
GB1

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
False.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Monkeymaster
So
Dumb construction worker from off the farm in the lower 48 here, was wondering if the fires are so bad because the government says you can't cut down dead tress without them doing some sort of study and or paperwork?
We have beetle killed pockets of Nat'l forest that loggers, ranchers, and other people with common sense can see and report to the feds, but they will not allow any cutting until the paperwork and permits are issued.
By then the trees are rotted, not worth cutting for even firewood, and then they go poooooofffffff at a lightning strike.
Good luck by the way with them fires and any hardships they are causing up there.

I thought you were describing California lol

KB

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by KillerBee
Originally Posted by Monkeymaster
So

I thought you were describing California lol

Nope, well maybe. Sounds like Oregon to me!

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought you were referring to Canadian fires and the laws regarding dead trees etc....
otherwise why post in the Canada forum?
Do you have a query regarding our forest practices?

IC B2

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All I know is BC..... its the Provinces that manage the forest, not the Federal government....I doubt very much (positive) that the forest is managed in BC better than anywhere in the the USA, that would be impossible.

Bugs in a Jackpine/lodgepole forest will kill the tree's and they will be dead in 2 years, making them mostly useless for lumber, but they will be good for firewood for perhaps 30 years, even after they fall down. The Province has no issue's offering a variety of permits for the cutting for firewood.

A Fir forest is abit different, it stays good for lumber abit longer, but when they start falling over they are going to be no good for firewood after only a few short years, Fir rots fast when its laying down.

Our Federal parks are a ridiculous testament to the stupidity of government, zero management, then when it burns they are surprised LOL. We could do so much better in every way regarding our natural resources, after all, the forest and animals/insects that dwell therein are all integrated.

M
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
Just wanting to know if Canadian government bureaucrats are causing you more headaches then they cure.
That is what the USA government does ALL the time.
Wishing our neighbors to the north the best.

Let him grow, Shoot a doe !
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The responsibility is to the Provinces.

Yes they bungle everything.............they created a shortage of fire fighters when there was no shortage of fire fighters, how does one fugg that up? and why does one fugg that up?

They told us all we weren't going to be fighting fires anymore, and then they bring in foreigners from all over the globe, without any knowledge of the terrain, timber etc....many cannot speak english.

For some reason they don't want locals doing it, one can only wonder why?
We have been threatened with huge fines if we don't stand down on some of these fires, then they take off and become out of hand. They have threatened local logging companies who have all the equipment needed, including lowbeds to get the equipment to a fire immediately, 30 minutes from a fire and they are told to stand down.

Then they light backburns and they go sideways and burn another mountain down.
Its almost like they want to bring the attention to climate change, rather than the bungling that is clear to those of us who work in the bush.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Enviromental groups tend to protest most any potential logging or salvage sales. They have nothing better to do and deep bank accounts. Everything get protested and tied up in court around here and out West.

Local help is always appreciated but when you are under EXTREME burning conditions (like are being seen in Canada), using volunteers is just asking to get them hurt. People spend an entire career and may only see fire behavior like this once during that time. In all honesty, in a sustained crown run TEN guys with D8 Cat's is still like a fart in a whirlwind.

Last edited by 160user; 07/24/23.

I am always looking for factory wood stocks!
673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are allowing and even creating the extreme burning conditions.
The 200,000 acre fire near me has a giant sign put up by the locals, on the side of a C-can..."government arson" tells you all you need to know.

IC B3

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 160user
Enviromental groups tend to protest most any potential logging or salvage sales. They have nothing better to do and deep bank accounts. Everything get protested and tied up in court around here and out West.

Local help is always appreciated but when you are under EXTREME burning conditions (like are being seen in Canada), using volunteers is just asking to get them hurt. People spend an entire career and may only see fire behavior like this once during that time. In all honesty, in a sustained crown run TEN guys with D8 Cat's is still like a fart in a whirlwind.
Were not talking about "volunteers" who don't know what they are doing, we are talking very experienced men who have been fighting fires all their lives, and have the experience in the bush. They also have "skin in the game" as its their backyard, so they make a living in their backyard, or they did until the bush burned, 4 generations...not anymore.

So we just had a young lady 19 years old that was killed here recently, (tree landed on her) how much experience could she of had? Things happen, but they have taken "inclusion" to a new level of stupid.

Bringing fallers or saw-men to work in BC from anywhere else other than BC is ridiculous.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

Were not talking about "volunteers" who don't know what they are doing, we are talking very experienced men who have been fighting fires all their lives, and have the experience in the bush. They also have "skin in the game" as its their backyard, so they make a living in their backyard, or they did until the bush burned, 4 generations...not anymore.

So we just had a young lady 19 years old that was killed here recently, (tree landed on her) how much experience could she of had? Things happen, but they have taken "inclusion" to a new level of stupid.

Bringing fallers or saw-men to work in BC from anywhere else other than BC is ridiculous.

Contract fallers are widely used on Western fires and this works very well. That is what these men do for a living is drop large, complex trees exactly where they want them to go. Sort of the same as firefighters, that is what they do. The 19 year old gal? Everyone was new once and I will guarantee that she was working with a Crew Boss and Division Supervisor that likely had 20-30 years experience each. Even using the military to fight fires come with a big risk and you still need the Supervision to use them. If nothing else, communication by radio with the local loggers is tough. Different radio systems and there aren't 500 spare radio's "laying around" when there are this many fires. When things go South, it happens quick and you need to account for all the people immediately and be able to communicate with them. It is great that you want to help and I am sure there will be things that you CAN help with but sometimes sitting on the sidelines is where you need to be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
The responsibility is to the Provinces.

Yes they bungle everything.............they created a shortage of fire fighters when there was no shortage of fire fighters, how does one fugg that up? and why does one fugg that up?

They told us all we weren't going to be fighting fires anymore, and then they bring in foreigners from all over the globe, without any knowledge of the terrain, timber etc....many cannot speak english.

For some reason they don't want locals doing it, one can only wonder why?
We have been threatened with huge fines if we don't stand down on some of these fires, then they take off and become out of hand. They have threatened local logging companies who have all the equipment needed, including lowbeds to get the equipment to a fire immediately, 30 minutes from a fire and they are told to stand down.

Then they light backburns and they go sideways and burn another mountain down.
Its almost like they want to bring the attention to climate change, rather than the bungling that is clear to those of us who work in the bush.
Hah, almost...

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673

Contract fallers are widely used on Western fires and this works very well. That is what these men do for a living is drop large, complex trees exactly where they want them to go. Sort of the same as firefighters, that is what they do. The 19 year old gal? Everyone was new once and I will guarantee that she was working with a Crew Boss and Division Supervisor that likely had 20-30 years experience each. Even using the military to fight fires come with a big risk and you still need the Supervision to use them. If nothing else, communication by radio with the local loggers is tough. Different radio systems and there aren't 500 spare radio's "laying around" when there are this many fires. When things go South, it happens quick and you need to account for all the people immediately and be able to communicate with them. It is great that you want to help and I am sure there will be things that you CAN help with but sometimes sitting on the sidelines is where you need to be.
You miss the point, it has FA to do with communication and the availability of radio's, everyone has one or more that works in the bush.

It has everything to do with keeping the local workforce that works in the bush...out of the bush, I can only explain that so many ways lol.

Its about control. Where there were 100 workers, there are now 10 workers.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Originally Posted by 673

You miss the point, it has FA to do with communication and the availability of radio's, everyone has one or more that works in the bush.

It has everything to do with keeping the local workforce that works in the bush...out of the bush, I can only explain that so many ways lol.

Its about control. Where there were 100 workers, there are now 10 workers.

While I respect your opinion, communication is EVERYTHING. Let me ask you a question. With the fires raging what if they asked you to "help" by making Ham sandwiches or hauling cans of gas to the guys on the ground? Would you help then? There will be plenty of work rehabbing line, installing water bars and planting trees later on. Once the smoke is gone doesn't mean the work is done.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I respect your opinion too, and thank you.
I'm not looking for work on any fires or otherwise, I have enough to keep me occupied.

I guess I do have another way to explain it.....People around here think that the government fugged up a perfectly functioning system because they wanted control. They wanted to control which fires to stop and which ones to not stop. Also I think that these Provinces have made deals with other countries to provide firefighters on an international level, which may not be a bad idea, it just isn't necessary.

Then we have a media feeding the climate change narrative. That is pretty much what people think around here, and it isn't about anything else, control of the narrative.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Then we have a media feeding the climate change narrative. That is pretty much what people think around here, and it isn't about anything else, control of the narrative.
Indeed, communication is everything.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by 673
Indeed, communication is everything.

Yes, not about efficiency ( it’s government for gods sake) or anything BUT control

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 673
Also I think that these Provinces have made deals with other countries to provide firefighters on an international level, which may not be a bad idea, it just isn't necessary.

Yes the US and Canada has a "Reciprocal Fire Fighting Agreement" as well as international ones. I believe Ontario and Manitoba sent Air Attack Officers to New Zealand under that agreement last year.

673 Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They are inefficient and bungle everything, but because they are government, they will not be proven wrong about how to do "things", even if the Citizenry does know.

Lets not forget about a carbon tax that hinges on climate change being "real bad" and in our face bad, not the USA, not Mexico, just us.....that should make it abit more clear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

115 members (10gaugemag, 35, 44mc, 10Glocks, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 7887mm08, 12 invisible), 1,508 guests, and 895 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,152
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.