Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have 4 of these scopes and they are very tuff and a good price too Burris 1-6 x 24 , 30 tube matte black /illuminated , i also plan on putting a couple more on 1 on a 338 Win. mag. and 1 on a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 . trust these are fantastic scopes for the money. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by erich
I bought on of the sightron 1.75-5 scopes it was nice except on the lowest power where it had enough fisheye that the sage seemed to bend when following a coyote waiting for an opening to shoot.

I don't normally recommend something I haven't had some experience with. The one I put on an AR15 calling rifle just a month ago showed no such behavior.

Weird...... -Al

Forbidden Zoner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine was one of the first releases, maybe they fixed them, I might have to try one again the next time they have a sale as I liked everything except the very bottom end and that is where my scopes stay most of the time.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by OGB
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag
Originally Posted by OGB
As to usable reticles.....

I have a Bushnell Elite 3200 3-9X40 that has the tiered duplex reticle. Very fat to medium to fine in distinct steps. Perfect for where I primarily hunt in heavy brush.

I've never had a problem at close range on 3X but I think they made the 2-7x with the same reticle.

To address the question though, I agree, It seems target style scopes (complex reticles, lots of magnification and weight) have taken center stage in the hunting world.
That Bushnell is the 3-2-1 reticle. May even glow if you charge it with a flashlight.
It does glow if you "charge" it with a flashlight but I never do.

Glow is redundant. The Firefly triplex is blacker than black before and after legal shooting. It’s a shame more mfgs haven’t filled that niche instead of going all in on wannabe sniper recticules. I just don’t buy the arguement of less precision with a bold crosshair at less than 300 yd distances on game.

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Really like my 1.5x5 Leupold on my 45-70
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
1903 Sprinfield 30-06 wit Denver Redfield I bought new abiut 1972. Have used that scope a lot and love it just as much today as ever! Scope is 2 3/4x widefield 4 plex cch

Last edited by DonFischer; 07/18/23.
Fotis Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by pete53
i have 4 of these scopes and they are very tuff and a good price too Burris 1-6 x 24 , 30 tube matte black /illuminated , i also plan on putting a couple more on 1 on a 338 Win. mag. and 1 on a 35 Whelen Ruger #1 . trust these are fantastic scopes for the money. Pete53

Are you talking the RT-6? I like that one. Have one on my Ar

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Fotis
Originally Posted by pete53

Are you talking the RT-6? I like that one. Have one on my Ar

yes the Burris RT-6 sure has been a good scope for me !

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually have a couple of variables, but the vast majority of my glass was made in El Paso. 2.5x fills the bill. Yeah, I know, ya can't hit chitt with a scope without dials and whistles. I keep on trying to make them work....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Trijicon Credo HX 1-6

+1 for the Trijicon Credo 1-6

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by shootem

Glow is redundant. The Firefly triplex is blacker than black before and after legal shooting. It’s a shame more mfgs haven’t filled that niche instead of going all in on wannabe sniper recticules. I just don’t buy the arguement of less precision with a bold crosshair at less than 300 yd distances on game.

I like a bold outer reticle but prefer thinner inner plex...not a wide inner plex but a narrow opening. I certainly prefer the finer inner plex for accuracy on targets but several years back I started noticing that some of the heavy duplex scopes I was using made it tougher to pick out small twigs and limbs when I was shooting through small openings in woods. I didn't use the firefly enough to remember how fine the innermost plex was but I like the concept of bold outer with steps down in width.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Never paid much attention to these when sold new, but have since used several on muzzleloaders, shotguns and as backups in QD mounts. These are Scopechief VI, marked Bausch & Lomb. Nice ones can be had for under $100.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I've got a half dozen of the Firefly reticle scopes in 2-7 and 3-9 on guns ranging from a H&R 20 ga. Ultra to my 700 Classic 35 Whelen. That reticle does such a good job in dim light that I've never bothered to charge the reticle. In the dark woods of Vermont and Mississippi that I hunt, darkness comes early and that bold reticle helps.

Unfortunately, the 2-7 is almost an orphan in today's rifle scope world. There's a reason that my favorite 2-7s, Nikon and Bushnell 3200, frequently sell for more used than they did new. I try to buy them when I can get a good deal on them.

O
OGB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I really do like the 3-2-1 reticle in the dark woods. It works.

As to precision, that scope on my RAR 308 turns in sub moa groups with boring regularity.

Cheapest set up in my safe!

Bore size is no substitute for shot placement and
Power is no substitute for bullet performance. 458WIN
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leupold 4x compact

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve got an SII 1.5-6x42, a couple of Leupold 1-4s (HD and G1 reticles), Zeiss 1.8-5.5, Vortex LH 1.5-8 and 2-10, Trijicon Accupoint 1-4 w/green triangle, and probably some other lower power stuff I can’t recall at the moment. I like every one of them for given purposes, or I wouldn’t have kept them. I had a couple of the 3200s in 2-7, and the eye relief was too short. I should have kept them for light kickers, because it was more than fine at low mag….just shrunk to dangerous short at the top end on those. I probably like the green triangle Trijicon and G1 1-4 VX2 the best on semis and levers for ‘fast’, though I’ve gone well past 250 with both. For deep dark woods, the Zeiss and Sightron are very good. For general purpose, those razor LHs are a nice package of light, bright, and reticle. Not much new out there that compares to most of those….especially without illum.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by TeeBone
Never paid much attention to these when sold new, but have since used several on muzzleloaders, shotguns and as backups in QD mounts. These are Scopechief VI, marked Bausch & Lomb. Nice ones can be had for under $100.

Very good old scopes and glass that compares well with much newer and higher priced scopes IMO.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by TeeBone

I have two of the 1.5-4.5 early 80's Japanese Bushnell Scope Chief VI's. Great scopes. 10oz, nice duplex reticle. I bought the first one with paper route money brand new. My dad liked it so much he bought one the next year.

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Dre
Vx3i 2.5-8
that or the 1.5-5x20 with a german #4.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My big game rifles have leupold heavy duplex reticles on them, very fast to use. And for load development and such I just make a target that fits the reticle. With my hunting rifles with that reticle I have no problem shooting sub MOA groups. My Barret 270 win prints sub 3.4 in groups all the time 6x42 leupold with heavy duplex.

MOLON LABE
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (BALLISTIK, BamaJoe, Anaconda, 300_savage, Aero, 6 invisible), 1,198 guests, and 864 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,995
Posts18,481,139
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.