Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very nice!!!!

That cargo chair is one thing on Kifaru packs that absolutly rocks!

LC

GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Another picture..
All the stuff pictured is in the pack. I since have used a large dry bag in the center and it simplifys things a bit.

[Linked Image]

LC

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Thanks for the reply, Lefty. I think MR is what I am going after whenever I save up the money. I'll probably have to get just the NICE frame with the cargo hauler first and use a dry bag to carry everything. $250 for the crewcab! Are you kidding me?!

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
If those pic's won't sell a Siwash , I'd guess nothing will...

Congrat's and nice pic's!...

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
SpenceG, any experience with the MR crew cab?

Is that the Siwash? How did it feel all loaded up? What weight?
Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
CL,
That is a Siwash. I have no experience with MR products, but have only heard good things. The load with the elk was right about 110 lbs, because there is meat inside also. I've done the same load with a Kifaru Spikecamp, and it did remarkably well also, that's what sold me on them. The Siwash just makes it that much more comfortaable. I really like the panel load design, since it packs down small for a daypack with easy access to gear. Just make sure everything is strapped down tight, and they carry like a dream.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Chawn I can't help w/ the thinner belt but I have rigged my MR belt to have a power pull on the belt and it works great. I just run the excess back through the 3-bar and walla--Allen--

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Well here are the pack pictures complete with dead deer. Wore this pack about 4 hours still hunting for the last day of the Pa. deer season. Not mutch weight but the pack was compact and quiet and worked fine as a daypack. Photos could be better but I was serious frozen.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

LC

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
Sorry don't mean to hijack your tread but does anyone have any pics
of the siwash all packed with gear sleeping pad,tent,scope,etc.

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by goph707
Sorry don't mean to hijack your tread but does anyone have any pics
of the siwash all packed with gear sleeping pad,tent,scope,etc.

Bump

IC B3

V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Mtn Hunter
I have a Long Hunter which compresses quite well. I believe without the top pocket the Long Hunter and Siwash are very close in size. I think the main difference would be the Long Hunter is top loading and the siwash a panel loader. If you want to check it out let me know. I think we might be in the same neck of the woods. Don't think you will go wrong with either.
Later
Greg

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Found this pic of Ken999's Siwash:
[Linked Image]

Hoping folks would post some more pics, a pic is worth a thousand words, right?

MtnHtr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
huh?

Which pic?

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Here is my Longhunter Guide with 1/2 a deer and the rack on it. It is a bit bigger than the Siwash, but IMO it packs down pretty darn small. I've used this pack for exactly what you are intending it for, 3-5 day excursions, but I also use it for day hunting which hasn't been a problem yet.

As also stated above, I prefer a top loader to a panel loader.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
oh...I see it now...

I'll get some more pic's together for you...I'll toss in a Nalgene for comparison's sake.

As you can see...the Siwash swallows a 0 deg MOB pretty well.

Last edited by ken999; 12/13/07.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
How late/cold is it going to be ? I don't have a Siwash, but I do have both the Late Season and the Spike Camp. I have used both the Cargo chair and the extra, add on pouches.
First off, I much prefer the heavy stuff, like meat etc. inside the pack and close to my body, not in the cargo chair. If you load one up with sand bags, boxes of shot shells, etc. and try it in steep country, I think you will agree. If you do that, then the camp gear can go pretty much in the extra pouches, which on the way up can be carried on the inside, etc.
If the weather is pretty cold, then I'd say use the Siwash because you'll need the extra room for clothing, heavier bag, etc. But for the milder weather hunting, I find the LS works well.
One of the things I'm really impressed with is how light and comfortable the Kifarus are while maintaining the ability to handle heavy loads. E

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Eremicus
How late/cold is it going to be ?

Good to hear from you E!

Down to the lower teens at the coldest but don't forget about the wind chill factor. The ZXR is winning the race so far..............

MtnHtr

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I think I'd prefer a Longhunter if the Siwash wouldn't do. It would depend on if I could get everything into the pack. I've learned not to hang much, if anything, on the outside for hunting. Thick brush and doing off trail walking makes that a good idea. The bottom line would be which will carry the load and weigh the least.
I'm seriously tempted to get a Siwash myself. That's because I like the LS and my Sike Camp so well. If I need more pack, I suspect it will be first on my list.
Yeah, it's good to be back. Nice to see you in there posting too, MH. E

M
MtnHtr Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
E,

I spent some time perusing the Kifaru message boards, I think the Siwash with an XTL lid will meet my needs for the length of hunt I have in mind. If I need a larger pack then I will order a LH too. In fact I'm thinking about ordering both a Siwash and then a Late Season to replace my current daypack!

Thanks,

MtnHtr

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Does the XTL lid retro fit to a Siwash?

I thought the XTL was for the MMR, EMR and Zulu but I could easily be wrong.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

516 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 43 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.