Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Originally Posted by Morewood
I had no idea helicopters can't operate in high heat.

RIP hiker man

More cold more power....something like that. Basically the colder the better if you want a helo to come get you.

But if it had been cold, he wouldn't have needed the helo so your theory is invalid.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by smokepole

RIP hiker man

More cold more power....something like that. Basically the colder the better if you want a helo to come get you.

But if it had been cold, he wouldn't have needed the helo so your theory is invalid.

Speaking only from a mechanical perspective. Never know though, old folks have a hard time thermo regulating....could've got hypothermia just as easily as heat stroke.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Or could have had a stroke or heart attack lacing up his boots, he was at the trailhead.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by JoeBob
…it is thought that exposure to wet bulb temperatures of 95°F or greater for at least 6 hours is the threshold for human survival

Wait, what? Someone needs to tell everyone who works outside in the summer around here that they are dead.

Wet-bulb temperature is the lowest temperature that can be reached under current ambient conditions by the evaporation of water only. It is very different than ambient temperature.

It is calculated by combining atmospheric pressure, amount of moisture in the air, and ambient air temperature. It is lower than ambient temperature under nearly every commonly-encountered circumstance in the USA during the summer months.

For example, on a typically humid day with 95 degree temps in the south, wet bulb temp is about 88 degrees. To achieve a wet bulb temperature above 95 degrees with typical midwest or southern humidity levels, you generally have to have ambient temperatures well over 100 degrees. If it's dry, like in Death Valley, temps are probably more like 110 or even higher for a wet bulb over 95.

Ain't nobody working outside for long with ambient temps like that.

Kipling wrote of an (Eastern) Indian saying, "Only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun."

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by smokepole

RIP hiker man

Speaking only from a mechanical perspective. Never know though, old folks have a hard time thermo regulating....could've got hypothermia just as easily as heat stroke.
Old folks? He was only 71. I'd like to be a mere 71 again. But maybe I picked up some smarts since then. I thermo regulate by staying the hell home when it's 100+. There are plenty of places to vacation and hike that are a lot cooler than that. Death Valley during the winter solstice is a better choice.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
No offense Jim, but it’s called density altitude. It’s a combination of actual altitude, heat, and humidity. The colder and drier the air, the better the aircraft performs. Airplanes are affected by it too. The more powerful helicopters (Chinooks, Blackhawks, Apaches) can fly in high density altitudes. The medevac helicopters used these days are loaded down with gear and personnel making it an iffy proposition. An unfortunate fellow was killed in New Mexico a couple days ago in a Cessna 310 (small twin engine plane) after losing an engine during takeoff. The density altitude was high and he couldn’t maintain or gain altitude on one engine.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Never had the heat curtail my outdoor activities until we moved to SC. In my nearly forgotten and largely wasted youth, I spent several exciting years in hot, humid SEA. I could keep going all day and all night. In my 60’s,, still living up north, I liked nothing better than distance running in summer temperatures in the 80’s (But it was a dry heat.) Now, down here and in my mid-70’s, when it gets above 90, I’m not outside for long. It just wipes me out. I’m starting to get my mind around the reality of it. Last Saturday I went out to the gun club to set up for the monthly IDPA match, but given the projected temperatures for the day, withdrew from the match, along with several other “old guys.”

Mathew 22: 37-39

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Life took a long time to weed that one out.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ohio7x57
The density altitude was high and he couldn’t maintain or gain altitude on one engine.

He couldn't but the airplane could have.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I can say from experience that some old guys will defy the calendar to the bitter end. It's a no win battle. This guy could have possibly stayed in the game for lots more years if he'd planned his battle tactics better. The calendar will always win, though.

― George Orwell

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Going to Death Valley to say you experienced that kind of heat seems to be the touron fad of the moment.

High, hot, and heavy is death. So every pilot knows. Or should. Now Death Valley is the opposite of high, but the hot and heavy parts of the equation can (pun intended) outweigh that.

Lastly, I have come to realize that the older I get, the narrower my band of temperature allowance. Both heat and cold affect me more now than ever before - and it is progressive.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
About 10 years ago we were hunting elk when the truck thermometer said -16 and the wind was blowing hard. It didn't bother me all that much. Now? There's no way I could do that now. The same goes for the high end of the scale. There's no way I'd go hiking at 100+, or maybe 90+ either.

― George Orwell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AU338MAG
They suspect heat may have been a factor???

What clues do they need to figure that out?

Morons...

71 isn't ancient anymore, but....

I worked for a logger who keeled over at 44.
Active, carrying a few extra pounds, but worked hard.
Sitting beside his brother in the pickup, he grabbed his chest and died.

Take away the heat and everyone would assume that's what happened with this guy.
Certainly the heat will be blamed. No matter what. But people go toes up suddenly,
everyday.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Morons...

Take away the heat and everyone would assume that's what happened with this guy.
Certainly the heat will be blamed. No matter what. But people go toes up suddenly,
everyday.
It was probably covid that got him, says Dr. Fauci.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Morons...

everyday.
If he got dehydrated or if his body temperature got elevated much above 98.6, then the heat IS to blame. Heat stroke is a killer and when it hits, it can take you out in only a few minutes. He obviously was in a situation where heat stroke or dehydration are a strong possibility but a heart attack or aneurism are also very possible. They can't call it until his body is examined by a professional.

― George Orwell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was 39 I spent some time in Mexico during an El Nino summer, I remember it got up to 126 F a couple of days. I remember doing very little during the day. I am not 71 yet but I can imagine the toll it takes on a person.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I can say from experience that some old guys will defy the calendar to the bitter end. It's a no win battle. This guy could have possibly stayed in the game for lots more years if he'd planned his battle tactics better. The calendar will always win, though.

Defying the calendar to the bitter end ain’t a bad option.

Passing out and dying at age 71 while challenging yourself outdoors sure beats a lot of alternatives.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Challenging yourself to the bitter end sounds great - until it greatly hastens the bitter end.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Yep. Time takes no prisoners. cry

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
In years prior, I spent a fair amount of time in the northern section of Death Valley. I would go to that area in July or September during the major holidays. I would spend three days out in the heat. How did I do it ? I would move into my stand, early in the morning, and stay there all day in the shade. Got to see and snap pics of some really cool wildlife.
Any experienced "desert rat" will tell you " Don't fight the desert." George Patton, when he was attempting to train his men for Africa, learned that if you force march a solider for four hours or more in that kind of heat/dryness, you can kill him. The body looses water and salts fast than they can be replaced. You must know your limits and not push them. Or the desert will kill you and not even blink. E

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

436 members (10Glocks, 222Sako, 17CalFan, 160user, 12344mag, 1lesfox, 40 invisible), 1,850 guests, and 1,172 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,754
Posts18,495,418
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.