Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Cooper made up most of his stats. History has shown that 45 FMJ gets the job done quickly with one shot about 2/3 of the time. Since most of us will NEVER have to actually shoot someone, and only a handful may have to do so once or twice in their life the odds are pretty good FMJ will get the job done. FWIW I have no doubts that York did exactly as described. But modern HP loads in any of the common handgun cartridges have shown to work somewhere between 85%-90% of the time. Given a choice I'll play the odds.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
I’m sure 230gr FMJ would work. I’ve been carrying Speer GD 200gr +P.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve not had to stop any fights with my 45s. But on deer and pigs I’ve found a 200 SWC to give much quicker results and far better wound channels than 230 ball. Shot through the lungs with ball they just kind of shudder and run off, need to break some bone to get much of a reaction.

230 gr JFP works better.

Would rather hunt w/ .357/158-180 gr. HP or .357Sig/147 gr HP.

GR

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by JMR40
Cooper made up most of his stats. History has shown that 45 FMJ gets the job done quickly with one shot about 2/3 of the time. Since most of us will NEVER have to actually shoot someone, and only a handful may have to do so once or twice in their life the odds are pretty good FMJ will get the job done. FWIW I have no doubts that York did exactly as described. But modern HP loads in any of the common handgun cartridges have shown to work somewhere between 85%-90% of the time. Given a choice I'll play the odds.

What proof do you have of this?

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
IF your HPs don't expand, they will still work like a FMJ.

Nobody's right if everybody's wrong.
Getting into reloading to save money is like getting married for free sex.
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ve not had to stop any fights with my 45s. But on deer and pigs I’ve found a 200 SWC to give much quicker results and far better wound channels than 230 ball. Shot through the lungs with ball they just kind of shudder and run off, need to break some bone to get much of a reaction.

Yeah, but if you could hit the sternum (breast bone) of a human target with a 230G FMJ it might splinter that bone, the main purpose of which is to protect the heart. It is also connected to the rib cage and clavicle so would probably cause shock. Then again might just drill right through and not be an immediate stopper. Big word is if.

A JHP OR SWC HP might be more effective. Might, hope I never have to actually find out. I have shot a lot of deer through the lungs and some heart shots with expanding rifle bullets and only a couple of times have they dropped on the spot. Usually it's a short dash averaging about 25 yards. They seem to run farther when heart shot...might not get much blood trail from a 45 fmj

MAGA.

"an armed society is a polite society"
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

A FAT fmj….😁

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaveinWV

True but, a lot of the JHP are better than the older ones were. They seem to expand better these days.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
You get hit in the torso with a 45, ball or hp, you having a bad day. I carry both and don't give it much thought.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I keep a 1911 as a bedside gun but am not impressed with its killing power. I shot a javalina and 2 antelope with the 45 ACP cartridge with little traumatic effect. Elmer Keith tells of shooting jackrabbits with 230 grain ball and watching them run for great distances before piling up. A cop friend shot himself through the kneecap with a 45 one night and had to walk back to the squad car and pull up his pants to confirm he had actually shot himself. A Marine Raider armed with a Reising shot a Japanese soldier in the face from feet away and the Jap just stood there, stunned. The Reising jammed and the Marine had to wrestle the Japs rifle away from him and use his bayonet to finish him off. Then there is the officer that had to shoot a suspect 17 times, 3 in the head, to stop a fight using a 45 ACP. Then there are the success stories and there are as many as there are failure stories. Pick your poison.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I love the .45ACP. The couple trapped pigs I’ve shot with it died right now (granted, one was a head shot, the other was dead through both shoulders. Both with H&G 68’s heat treated and loaded to 950fps.

That factory FMJ beer can ammo (or .gov bid spec ammo) can give lackluster performance ain’t a shock.

I clocked some Winchester 158LRN .38 Special ammo a while back that chrono’ed a whopping 620fps out of my 4” mod.15. I’d not be surprised if white box Winchester .45 ammo was equally unimpressive.

RN FMJ’s aren’t designed to expand, but yet don’t really penetrate that well either (brother in law shot a doe below the eye close up with a .40fmj, it didn’t exit). Given the low launch velocity, I’ve never been a big fan of HP’s either. Big cast RNFP’s or SWC’s for me. Bullets matter…..(wait for it😀)…..more than headstamps.

Last edited by Potsy; 07/21/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Potsy
I love the .45ACP. The couple trapped pigs I’ve shot with it died right now (granted, one was a head shot, the other was dead through both shoulders. Both with H&G 68’s heat treated and loaded to 950fps.

That factory FMJ beer can ammo (or .gov bid spec ammo) can give lackluster performance ain’t a shock.

I clocked some Winchester 158LRN .38 Special ammo a while back that chrono’ed a whopping 620fps out of my 4” mod.15. I’d not be surprised if white box Winchester .45 ammo was equally unimpressive.

RN FMJ’s aren’t designed to expand, but yet don’t really penetrate that well either (brother in law shot a doe below the eye close up with a .40fmj, it didn’t exit). Given the low launch velocity, I’ve never been a big fan of HP’s either. Big cast RNFP’s or SWC’s for me. Bullets matter…..(wait for it😀)…..more than headstamps.

I chronoed some of the cheap Tula .45 ACP 230 FMJ at 21 feet. They only averaged around 790 fps. It's good shooting ammo but, slow. Most 230 gr FMJ is closer to about 830 or a little more. I've loaded to 850 fps and it's a normal pressure load.

Why do I have to press 1, for English?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TreeMutt
This seems to support 230 ball effectiveness as a stopper since he supposedly killed all six in real combat.

What's good about it? Round noses just poke small holes. Are you comparing to a sharp stick? Better to go with a 9mm JHP.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Goosey
This seems to support 230 ball effectiveness as a stopper since he supposedly killed all six in real combat.

What's good about it? Round noses just poke small holes. Are you comparing to a sharp stick? Better to go with a 9mm JHP.

The resident anti gunner.
Lol

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I like the 230 grain Golden Saber, myself. Fortunately, I have a reasonable supply that I managed to get before Remington hit the skids, though I believe it is available again (more or less).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot only 147gr HP +P+ in my nines. I put two quick rounds in a 300lb plus boar from 12 yards and he never flinched, just trotted off.

I don’t carry a nine outdoors no mo.

Originally Posted by Goosey

Last edited by JohnnyLoco; 07/21/23.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Lots of stories about bullet performance.

IF York actually killed 6 Germans with his 1911 he did it with mil issue 230 grain ball...this would prove that this bullet is superior as a man stopper, no? Would he have done the same with modern JHPs? Where were the hits? Did they all just fall over dead like the movies?

Don't know how much this story was embellished but stuff never loses imagination in the retelling. Not to denigrate a great American hero as his exploits would have earned him the Medal of Honor without the killing of 6 Germans with his 45.

OK, lets say you are being attacked by six thugs, all are armed and you have a 1911 with at most 8 230 fmj rounds in the mag. You kill all six!

Is there evidence of six kills using JHPs of any caliber? Probably is but I haven't heard it. But there is always what Jack OConnor called "the hot stove set" so who to believe?

MAGA!

"an armed society is a polite society"
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
LSWC / RNFP / TCFP > JHP > ball

Last edited by Distridr; 07/22/23.

Save our kids - shoot your local drug dealer.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There is not replacement for displacement...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I keep a 1911 as a bedside gun but am not impressed with its killing power. I shot a javalina and 2 antelope with the 45 ACP cartridge with little traumatic effect. Elmer Keith tells of shooting jackrabbits with 230 grain ball and watching them run for great distances before piling up. A cop friend shot himself through the kneecap with a 45 one night and had to walk back to the squad car and pull up his pants to confirm he had actually shot himself. A Marine Raider armed with a Reising shot a Japanese soldier in the face from feet away and the Jap just stood there, stunned. The Reising jammed and the Marine had to wrestle the Japs rifle away from him and use his bayonet to finish him off. Then there is the officer that had to shoot a suspect 17 times, 3 in the head, to stop a fight using a 45 ACP. Then there are the success stories and there are as many as there are failure stories. Pick your poison.

Through the kneecap?!

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (257_X_50, 7mm_Loco, 264mag, 280Ackleyrized, 14 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 868 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,538
Posts18,531,063
Members74,039
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.