Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I just picked another 1899F SRC locally for cheap. Probably just a parts gun or will need to become another caliber since I can't bring myself to strip a gun for parts. WTF went on wth 25-35s back in the day? There is basically no rifling left and the bore is in horrible, like very bad, shape. Almost every 99 in 25-35 I've seen is like this. I have one that has an okay-ish bore and then Roy's numrich barrel are the best ones I've seen. It's like everyone shot black powder rounds out of them and never cleaned them.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
38-55's too.Sewer pipe's.

D
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have 11+ 30-30s from 1899 - 1920 and all the bores are great. Some of them are unbelievably good considering their age. So maybe 25-35s were more utility rifles and 30-30s were mainly deer guns and shot only couple times a year. That would not explain 38-55s. But the only 38-55s I have are rechambers from JES and the bores are spectacular. LOL.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very true observation on the bores and most of the rifles are bad on the outside as well. From riding in horses scabbards?

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a group of 1899 B's. All 5 calibers. There is one missing from the picture. It is an engraved model 1899B In 303Sav
The bottom one is a 25-35 with an almost pristine bore, and it came with a pristine price, but it resides in the stable now. Ah, what the heck, I will add it to the post. Fire away.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

IC B2

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Steve that's a group photo that makes me drool.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE

Big plus one!

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BIG_JOE

Thanks Ol' friend. I am happy you are checking in from time to time even though the place is pretty well slipped.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Black powder would erode the bore.
The transition to smokeless powders in all calibers may have taken a long time and plenty of black power was available?

"Every day above ground is a good day."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The .25-35, .30-30 and .32 Spl were introduced as smokeless powder cartridges so unless they were loading their own with black should not have been the problem. The .32-40 and .38-55 was the reverse.

Savage...never say "never".
Rick...

Join the NRA...together we stand, divided we fall!

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Very nice set of "B's"
Steve

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SomisSteve
Very nice set of "B's"
Steve

Thank you sir. They go very nicely with a certain Crescent

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
...even though the place is pretty well slipped.

Slipped? Or evolved, like everything else in life?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by damnesia
I just picked another 1899F SRC locally for cheap. Probably just a parts gun or will need to become another caliber since I can't bring myself to strip a gun for parts. WTF went on wth 25-35s back in the day? There is basically no rifling left and the bore is in horrible, like very bad, shape. Almost every 99 in 25-35 I've seen is like this. I have one that has an okay-ish bore and then Roy's numrich barrel are the best ones I've seen. It's like everyone shot black powder rounds out of them and never cleaned them.

Corrosive primers will rust a barrel overnight if not properly cleaned right away.

.22 HPs and 25-35s do tend to have, on average, poorer bore conditions in 1899/99s than those with larger bores.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I think it was due to the mercuric primers used at the start, followed soon by the early chlorate primers. Both were nasty rust-buggers. Add to that the soft cupro-nickel bullet jacket material that left more and more jacket fouling as velocities increased, and trapped the corrosive priming compound underneath it making it difficult to eradicate. (Not as big a deal with early .30 bullets moving slower and fouling less. Exceptions being high-vel .30 military rifles where users were indoctrinated in intense bore cleaning protocols, and .22HP's which were by-and-large the province of knowledgeable riflemen who stayed ahead of the corrosion.)

A lot of .22 and .25 caliber target rifles from the period have survived with decent bores so why not them too being sewer pipes like the .25-35's? Answer: they were shot with lead bullets and black powder, and their users were holdovers from the strictly black powder era who were anal about cleaning after shooting. No bullet jacket fouling, and little leading at their low velocities, so little chance for hot soapy water cleaning protocols to not eradicate corrosive primer residues.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Corrosive primers will rust a barrel overnight if not properly cleaned right away.
.22 HPs and 25-35s do tend to have, on average, poorer bore conditions in 1899/99s than those with larger bores.

Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I think it was due to the mercuric primers used at the start, followed soon by the early chlorate primers. Both were nasty rust-buggers. Add to that the soft cupro-nickel bullet jacket material that left more and more jacket fouling as velocities increased, and trapped the corrosive priming compound underneath it making it difficult to eradicate. (Not as big a deal with early .30 bullets moving slower and fouling less. Exceptions being high-vel .30 military rifles where users were indoctrinated in intense bore cleaning protocols, and .22HP's which were by-and-large the province of knowledgeable riflemen who stayed ahead of the corrosion.)

A lot of .22 and .25 caliber target rifles from the period have survived with decent bores so why not them too being sewer pipes like the .25-35's? Answer: they were shot with lead bullets and black powder, and their users were holdovers from the strictly black powder era who were anal about cleaning after shooting. No bullet jacket fouling, and little leading at their low velocities, so little chance for hot soapy water cleaning protocols to not eradicate corrosive primer residues.
Welp, I guess that pretty well explains it. Thanks fella's!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
This rifle is probably worthy of its own thread. Certainly more pics Steve.... smile

Originally Posted by Longbeardking
It is an engraved model 1899B In 303Sav

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 58 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,245 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.