Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
When I go to goggle several headlines come up from various news sources. Due to my limited computer skills and unwillingness to take on the learning curve, I can’t link to the story but CNN has a story about the Israeli government passing legislation to limit the authority of the Supreme Court to overturn legislation.

I know CNN means Crap News Network but in this case it fits the agenda and there are probably plans to do the same in this country. Fits in with another thread on here about university professors urging bidet to ignore the US Supreme Court rulings.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by 45_100
When I go to goggle several headlines come up from various news sources. Due to my limited computer skills and unwillingness to take on the learning curve, I can’t link to the story but CNN has a story about the Israeli government passing legislation to limit the authority of the Supreme Court to overturn legislation.

I know CNN means Crap News Network but in this case it fits the agenda and there are probably plans to do the same in this country. Fits in with another thread on here about university professors urging bidet to ignore the US Supreme Court rulings.

Now you know why the turds are encouraging biden to ignore the SC.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

it's actually the opposite.

Israel doesn't have a constitution. So while the US Supreme Court's authority, as well as that of Congress and the President, are clearly set out in the Constitution, Israel has no such authority that sets out checks, balances and separations.

What's happened over time is that the Israeli Supreme Court has given itself all sorts of powers that are unchecked. For example, each justice can choose his successor, and they always do that on an ideological basis. The Supreme Court in Israel skews left while the population as a whole is to the right, and getting more conservative with each generation. So what has been happening is the Supreme Court overrules the executive/Knesset (the analog to Congress) whenever it feels like it and sets the country on an extreme leftist direction.

Imagine if the US Supreme Court named its own successors and had the ability to change laws and overrule the President without limitation, simply by saying the law or the act of the President is unreasonable. That's what the system was in Israel and it is what was just changed so there is accountability in the judicial branch.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Remsen

Israel doesn't have a constitution. So while the US Supreme Court's authority, as well as that of Congress and the President, are clearly set out in the Constitution, Israel has no such authority that sets out checks, balances and separations.

What's happened over time is that the Israeli Supreme Court has given itself all sorts of powers that are unchecked. For example, each justice can choose his successor, and they always do that on an ideological basis. The Supreme Court in Israel skews left while the population as a whole is to the right, and getting more conservative with each generation. So what has been happening is the Supreme Court overrules the executive/Knesset (the analog to Congress) whenever it feels like it and sets the country on an extreme leftist direction.

Imagine if the US Supreme Court named its own successors and had the ability to change laws and overrule the President without limitation, simply by saying the law or the act of the President is unreasonable. That's what the system was in Israel and it is what was just changed so there is accountability in the judicial branch.
Great explanation Remsen. I know I appreciate your input on issues like this, especially if it involves Israel.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Remsen

Thank you!

My first thought: But they do not have COTUS.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
So what happens when their Supreme Court wants to rule on that law?

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mathman

Now that is interesting.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If thy can rule on all laws, how do they handle a law that says they can't?

It's like one of those set theory paradoxes. Consider the set of all sets that are not members of themselves.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
It used to be that the Supreme Court had the final say on any law, and whatever they did, no matter how ridiculous, was the final say.

Now, they no longer have the sole authority. For the most part, if a law is challenged and the Supreme Court rules against the law, the Knesset (Israel's Congress) can overrule the Supreme Court's decision.

At that point, what Knesset said will be law and the Supreme Court can't review it.

This is what some people don't like, but it's a better situation than existed before. The Knesset is elected, the Supreme Court isn't (just like here), so the ultimate expression of accountability now rests with the voters rather than a select, elite, leftist group of judges. The argument is that now that the Supreme Court is finally accountable to the people, it will moderate its actions. If it doesn't, the people will act through their elected representatives.

It could end up a mess...think about what would happen here if Congress had the power to overrule the Supreme Court and the Supreme Court didn't take the hint that it better not act outside the will of the majority. You'd have Congress doing things like voting to striked down the Bruen and Dobbs decisions (not likely with the current makeup of Congress, but if the Dems take Congress again it would be right up their alley).

It's the problem with having no Constitution. But even in the US, where there is an incredible Constitution, we have courts ruling in violation of what is clearly written, so it's simply a problem with any non-authoritarian system.

Eliminate qualified immunity and you'll eliminate cops who act like they are above the law.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman

How big is their army?

IC B3

45_100 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Remsen’s explanation is pretty much verbatim what I am reading in other news reports that seem to be less biased than CNN. The Israeli Supreme Court is now prepared to declare this law unreasonable.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Courts have way too much power today, they can override the will of the people simply by their interpretation.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same thing they're trying to do here. Check their passports.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

130 members (470Evans, 44mc, 7887mm08, 35, 338rcm, 15 invisible), 1,523 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,453
Posts18,507,958
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.