-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A Clark Custom 1911 Long Slide 45 landed in my lap recently. I don't know much about them and was hoping for a little more information if anyone has some? I did see their websight, but was hoping for more "Secondary market" thoughts. Are they still popular? approx. value? Thoughts?
It appears to have a Colt Frame with no markings on the slide, and the bottom of the slide is engraved "Clark Custom Shreveport, La". It also has wood grips that appear a little "swelled" or larger towards the top of the grip for a better feel Its a really nice gun in minty condition other than the hated light idiot scratch, but just not what I typically collect.
Thanks in advance,
Ed

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe that at one time they were well thought of and highly regarded. My guess is that you have a very nice shooting custom 1911 in your hands. Pictures would be great if you get the time to share them with us.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jimmy Clark made the long slides by cutting two slides and welding the pieces back together. He started making them before custom parts were available. I would think it would fairly valuable to collectors.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the replies and information Fellas.
I do appreciate it. Ill try to get a few pictures up in the next day or so.
Thanks again,
Ed

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
When I hear Clark Custom 1911. I think of there Clark Meltdown compact. Awesome pistol.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim Clark's pistols are built right, you got a great one. I have a Clark bullseye upper that I'm just waiting on the right frame to fit it to.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My grandfather knew Jim Clark, Jr., and he used to take me to Clark's when I visited him as a kid. Their shop has been in three north Louisiana locations: I believe Shreveport was first, then Keithville, and now Princeton.

They focused on Colt 1911s for bullseye and S&W revolvers for PPC. Along with Hoag and Pachmayr, they were among the top builders of super-accurate match guns in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. They may have also done some hybrids using a Colt Python barrel on a K-frame S&W or Ruger Six series guns before the L-frame S&W came along but I don't remember them being a leader on those. In the 70s they built a few guns for IPSC and Bianchi Cup, but Wilson and others displaced them. Later in the Kiethville years, they started doing more work on Ruger products.

They were a custom shop so they made any number of variants. The two main 1911 versions were softball guns, built for a 185-grain SWC at 650-700 fps, and hardball guns, built for match-grade ammo loaded to GI ball standards. Don't go by the weight of the springs. Call them and (https://clarkcustomguns.com/) and ask.

Shooting hot ammo in a softball gun will quickly ruin it and hardball guns may not run with lighter loads. Both types are found with solid steel ribs from either Bo-Mar or Aristocrat. Some ribs ran the length of the slide, others went from the rear sight to the rear edge of the ejection port. These ribs add significant weight to the slide, so they can affect how the guns function, what loads and springs to use, etc. Good luck finding holsters.

Gunbroker.com has several Clarks. Per the "Completed" page, it looks like they're going for $1,500-3,000.

I owned a couple of Clark 1911s, including a long slide, back when I was shooting bullseye. If I still owned them, I'd probably set them up for cast bullets and use them to hunt small game and deer.

Okie John

Last edited by okie john; 07/27/23.

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I shot Clark 1911's in Bullseye competition for 25+ years. I don't know exactly how many rounds but likely in 6 digits. Still have a longslide. One of the best perks was that for a nominal fee you could send the pistol back in for a re-tightening and tune-up which I did several times. It was like getting a new pistol for a very small fee. Jim Sr built all 3 of mine.
Phil

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My shooting partner, whom just passed in March had a 38 Spl Clark 1911 wadcutter gun. They are a piece of art. Just an original Clark 38 Spl mag for a 1911 is worth more than most guns.

Colt stopped making the Python, then started making them again at an increased price tag, the next generation snakes were not well received and many were returned for a rework by Colt. My 1950s 8" nickel snake was a thing of real beauty.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I truly appreciate all the information,thoughts, knowledge, and feedback.
I think I'll check with JSClark and see what they have to say. Then, hope to find the right buyer!
Thanks for all the input,
Ed

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As you may know Jim Clarks daughter Kay Clark is married to champion shooter Jerry Miculek. Their daughter Lena Miculek iis also a chapion shooter

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here's a Clark. Forget the 'Hardball" mark on it, it shoots everything well. S80 Colt.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 1911a1
As you may know Jim Clarks daughter Kay Clark is married to champion shooter Jerry Miculek. Their daughter Lena Miculek iis also a chapion shooter
Yep.

Have been to their compound east of Shreveport. Nice set up.

Good folks. Jim Clark was an innovator and master smith. He’s gone but not forgotten.

DF

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
When we all shot iron sights the longslide provided the advantage of a longer sight radius. Now days since most bullseye shooters use red dot sights the longslide has lost favor. Furthermore, adding a dot to a long slide mades a heavy gun just that much heavier and offers no real advantage over the 5" models. Still neat pistols and I still get mine out once in while for a shooting session. By the way, if you pull the slide off and look inside you will see the year yours was built.
Phil

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.