Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I did some searching and didn't find a more recent thread on this topic than 2021, but just noticed this on my Ruger American .308. After reading other threads and seeing plenty of other pictures of broken talleys, what's good out there for a more rugged setup? I'm fine with a rail and rings. Also, these rings weren't lapped but everything was cleaned and torqued to spec.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Didn't toss it into a rocky stream for a picture did you? Not sure they're designed to bounce off rocks.

I like Warne bases and rings. Their vertically split or horizontally split steels rings are very good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have used a lot of Talley LW rings over the years with no issues, but thats not to say issues don’t occur.

DNZ has good rings and Hawkins is also coming out with rings shortly that are a lot like Talleys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've only puked (9) sets of LW's thus far. Hint.

2wks ago. Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

They are obviously an easy pass,if you actually shoot. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
My understanding is that the Talley LWs are basically a copy of Melvin Forbes ULA rings, which you never hear anything bad about. Talley must have changed something with the design or metal used. I really like their steel QDs but I've had two sets of the LWs break.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've only puked (9) sets of LW's thus far. Hint. Slow learner?

2wks ago. Hint.

They are obviously an easy pass,if you actually shoot. Hint................

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If one is going to use Talley lightweights, they must understand their limitations. Talley LWs unlapped are not round. Torque them down and you impart stress. Eventually this happens. Especially with excess torque and or heavy scopes and heavy recoil. It’s not from any one traumatic event. Chucking off of a cliff will not cause this. Fatigue of the material does. If you are going to use these things, lap them, bed them, and don’t use with heavy scopes and magnum rifles.

Last edited by SDHNTR; 07/25/23.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
If one is going to use Talley lightweights, they must understand their limitations. Talley LWs unlapped are not round. Torque them down and you impart stress. Eventually this happens. Especially with excess torque and or heavy, scopes and heavy recoil. It’s not from any one traumatic event. Chucking off of a cliff will not cause this. Fatigue of the material does. If you are going to use these things, lap them, bed them, and don’t use with heavy scopes and magnum rifles.

So they are weak and poorly designed, got it. I tend to agree after this failure, seeing as they were installed per the manufacturer's instructions and seeing all the other failures posted on this site. I want something strong that won't break. This is my go to deer rifle for NH, so I don't need 20moa bases or quick change anything. I want to bolt the scope into place, leave it sighted in, and shoot deer at NH woods ranges (never shot a critter at more than 75 yards). It's a .308 in an American compact, so it's not a heavy kicker or anything, but I don't have patience for stuff breaking.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NH_Sharpshooter
I did some searching and didn't find a more recent thread on this topic than 2021, but just noticed this on my Ruger American .308. After reading other threads and seeing plenty of other pictures of broken talleys, what's good out there for a more rugged setup? I'm fine with a rail and rings. Also, these rings weren't lapped but everything was cleaned and torqued to spec.

They are alloy, not steel, and light-weight ta boot.

I like them, and have never had a problem with then.

KNOWING - that they are light-weight alloy, and, therefore, will have poor tensile strength compared to steel?

I line the rings with a layer of vinyl electrical tape, top and bottom in ~ a 120 deg. arc.

Then adjust the crosshair, torque to snug on greases screws/threads, wait a few hours, and then torque again.

The vinyl will flow, and the contact will be complete and intimate, like they were painted on.

But the stress will be mitigated, the screws will hold tight, and the rings will pop off clean when disassembled.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

GR

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Why not put on the Picatinny base it came with and use any number of good rings?

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mathman
Why not put on the Picatinny base it came with and use any number of good rings?
It might not have come with one. Not to discount the notion of using one.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I guess I am assuming the OP bought it new. Ruger's website says factory installed, one piece Picatinny base.

N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
It aould be interesting to see if they’re all breaking in the same spot.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by SDHNTR
If one is going to use Talley lightweights, they must understand their limitations. Talley LWs unlapped are not round. Torque them down and you impart stress. Eventually this happens. Especially with excess torque and or heavy, scopes and heavy recoil. It’s not from any one traumatic event. Chucking off of a cliff will not cause this. Fatigue of the material does. If you are going to use these things, lap them, bed them, and don’t use with heavy scopes and magnum rifles.

So they are weak and poorly designed, got it. I tend to agree after this failure, seeing as they were installed per the manufacturer's instructions and seeing all the other failures posted on this site. I want something strong that won't break. This is my go to deer rifle for NH, so I don't need 20moa bases or quick change anything. I want to bolt the scope into place, leave it sighted in, and shoot deer at NH woods ranges (never shot a critter at more than 75 yards). It's a .308 in an American compact, so it's not a heavy kicker or anything, but I don't have patience for stuff breaking.
You can get a zero cant rail and pic rings and have solid with many quality manufacturers. Just don’t go cheap and you’ll be fine. Or there are other similar style rings like Hawkins that are better. The only Talleys I trust are the Screw Lock Detachables. They are bomber. Lots of choices for good set ups these days.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by navlav8r
It aould be interesting to see if they’re all breaking in the same spot.
Not exactly same spot, but all out towards the end of the ring somewhere, where the flex from stress occurs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I guess I am assuming the OP bought it new. Ruger's website says factory installed, one piece Picatinny base.
In the beginning, they came with two-piece Weaver-style bases. Being a SS model, it's got a bit of age on it so may predate when rails started.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Garandimal

KNOWING - that they are light-weight alloy, and, therefore, will have poor tensile strength compared to steel?

I line the rings with a layer of vinyl electrical tape, top and bottom in ~ a 120 deg. arc.

Then adjust the crosshair, torque to snug on greases screws/threads, wait a few hours, and then torque again.

The vinyl will flow, and the contact will be complete and intimate, like they were painted on.

But the stress will be mitigated, the screws will hold tight, and the rings will pop off clean when disassembled.

GR
Originally Posted by Garandimal

GR
It’s not just aluminum vs steel that’s the issue. There are plenty of aluminum mounting systems that are very strong.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Two piece Weavers aren't a bad way to roll. A lot of good rings fit those too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Two piece Weavers aren't a bad way to roll. A lot of good rings fit those too.
Agreed. Another option if the factory supplied mounts aren't available are the Burris XTB. Any two-piece that fits a Savage round rear will fit the RAR.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Safe Queens all. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

94 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 8 invisible), 1,444 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.