Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I came into a bone stock Interarms Mark X 308 sometime ago. I put a scope on it and sighted it in about 25 years ago for the owner and I recall it shot quite good. Its a heavy barreled rifle and would probably make a good rifle use out of a climbing stand. I’m interested in hearing
about synthetic drop in replacement stocks and replacement triggers. I got scopes on the shelf so just looking for a few upgrades. I interested in customizing it not keeping it like it is. Gunsmiths are hard to come by around here and while I hate to admit it I’m not all that handy. The rifle has a small amount of sentimental value but not enough not to customize. I would keep the stock parts in case I would want to convert it back to stock. Its summer and just looking for a small project.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Start off by replacing the trigger with a Timney or Jard, replace the safety with a two or three position one, have it bedded

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
If the trigger is one of their adjustable ones with side safety, they’re actually pretty good. My late brother dumped a bunch of cash on a custom from Brown back in the 80s, Shilen SS barrel, Kevlar stock, S&B 1.5-6. They kept the stock trigger, but adjusted it to a good pull. A replacement may just drop in, but not necessarily.

For my money, the best things you could do for your rifle would be a first-class stock and an M70-style safety. That safety will likely require some modification to the bolt, but the improvement in function and ease of bolt take-down are worth it. If I were me, I’d send it to Bansner for a stock and hopefully the trigger/safety work. Cry once and then enjoy the results for the rest of your life.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
If the trigger is one of their adjustable ones with side safety, they’re actually pretty good. My late brother dumped a bunch of cash on a custom from Brown back in the 80s, Shilen SS barrel, Kevlar stock, S&B 1.5-6. They kept the stock trigger, but adjusted it to a good pull. A replacement may just drop in, but not necessarily.

For my money, the best things you could do for your rifle would be a first-class stock and an M70-style safety. That safety will likely require some modification to the bolt, but the improvement in function and ease of bolt take-down are worth it. If I were me, I’d send it to Bansner for a stock and hopefully the trigger/safety work. Cry once and then enjoy the results for the rest of your life.
Thanks.
Its got a side safety. I have Timneys is all my other deer rifles. I like the idea of sending it out for a banser stock. I’m not all that hung up on 3 position safeties but I have a few rifles that have m70 style. I dont have a preference between those and anything else.

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
I don't think Bansner is making a Mark-X stock at this time. My GS will fit one to a Mauser, but it definitely isn't drop in. Your best bet would probably be Brown or McMillan for a lightweight stock if you want a drop in, there is also MPI but I have no experience with them. However, I doubt you'll get a stock before fall.

Trigger, I'd try adjusting the one you have if possible. If it can't be made to something you like, then replace with a Timney. I just like Timney for Mauser rifles.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
They list one for 98s. I’d call and find out anyway. They’re within driving distance for me, which is a big plus given all the shipping nonsense these days. Not sure what other work they’ll take on.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by taylorce1
I don't think Bansner is making a Mark-X stock at this time. My GS will fit one to a Mauser, but it definitely isn't drop in. Your best bet would probably be Brown or McMillan for a lightweight stock if you want a drop in, there is also MPI but I have no experience with them. However, I doubt you'll get a stock before fall.

Trigger, I'd try adjusting the one you have if possible. If it can't be made to something you like, then replace with a Timney. I just like Timney for Mauser rifles.
I already ordered the Timney. My favorite rifle wears a Mc Millan edge. I have many deer rifles so I’m not needed this one for this year.
I have a bit more time than most as our rut doesnt start until middle of January. No time pressure at all.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For around $500 you could buy a Timney trigger and a B&C stock.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Boarmaster123

Thanks.
Its got a side safety. I have Timneys is all my other deer rifles. I like the idea of sending it out for a banser stock. I’m not all that hung up on 3 position safeties but I have a few rifles that have m70 style. I dont have a preference between those and anything else.

I'd leave the safety alone. No good reason to mess with it. I'd replace the trigger with a Timney, if you don't like the trigger that is in it or it can't be adjusted. The Trigger on my H&R 340 is just fine and that is basically built like an Interarms MKX. However, the trigger may be different, as it looks similar to a Timney and all adjustable. If you are not in a big hurry, keep an eye on ebay and the likes for a good synthetic stock. I see them from time to time. Sounds like you don't want to do anything too extreme to the rifle. That is the route I'd take. Also make sure you have someone that knows what they are doing when they fit the stock and glass bed it. Should end up with a great rifle when done.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ahhhhh, the good old days when Interarms Mark X rifles were everywhere..........

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
They list one for 98s. I’d call and find out anyway. They’re within driving distance for me, which is a big plus given all the shipping nonsense these days. Not sure what other work they’ll take on.

My buddy is building a custom .25 Nosler on the Mark-X. Our GS told him to order a Sheephunter IIRC in a M700 SA to modify. I might of been assuming something I shouldn't have.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Looks like B&C is only building stocks for Interarms Mark X for long actions.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Which McMillan would you guys go for on the Mark X? Surprised they still make something for it at all with the recent cuts frown

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Igloo;
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope your part of our country has clear skies and tolerable temps today.

Since you're on this side of the medicine line, we can order stocks from Stuart at Wildcat Composites.

As far as I know he's still making them and if you go to the link and look at the Mauser/FN Browning photo - well I happen to know the guy who did that one up.... wink

http://wildcatcomposites.com/index.html

Here it is a couple paint jobs and a different barrel later.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Anyways I've used a couple of his stocks and been very impressed.

All the best.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/27/23.

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Dwayne,

Things are well, thank you! Enjoying good times and a break from the lovely pall of forest fire smoke haha. Hope all is well for you too!

Thanks for the info and pictures, that looks like it makes for a very good rifle

Cheers

But I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier,
The last of Barrett's Privateers
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T

Your Mark-X is a long action.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Igloo
Which McMillan would you guys go for on the Mark X? Surprised they still make something for it at all with the recent cuts frown
Originally Posted by taylorce1

Your Mark-X is a long action.
Good to know. I sort of wondered if they were the same do to the size of the port.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1006745453

These are a great stock, natural pointing, and well made stock for the dollars. They are discontinued but can often be found on Ebay or in classified ads.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I have a B&C Medalist on an FN and it’s solid, but also heavy. Now that I’m older with more cash on hand, I’d pony up for something lighter if I was going to hunt it.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Jericho
Ahhhhh, the good old days when Interarms Mark X rifles were everywhere..........
And so affordable. I always planned on buying one to rebore or rebarrel but never did

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (1100mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 16,104 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,206
Posts18,543,643
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.