Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
RAM, do you not see those laptops in about every LE car in America? LE runs all sorts of items to see if they are stolen, cars, guns, ect. and they do it from the patrol car usually in less than a five minutes time frame.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
To run the serial, means the firearm must be "in hand" in most departments.
Why?
If it is a "hit" paper will be taken on it. Most chiefs have that as a departmental standing order.

ANYTHING found should be run through local LE. Especially firearms and suspected drugs.
I won't touch a vehicle, a purse or a wallet either.
Let the on-duty officer take the report. Call it in.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I'd clean it and probably hunt with it. I certainly wouldn't turn it over to any law enforcement. I might drop by a pawn shop and ask if they could tell me if it was reported stolen. I'm buds with a retired state trooper so I'd probably ask him.

You will have then committed "Conversion".

It's taking and keeping someone else's property for your use. It's no defense that you don't know who owns it. You don't.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Don't call the sheriff. They'll take it and you'll never get it back.

I found a loaded 45acp at our family graveyard when I was mowing the grass. I checked with my immediate family who all said it wasn't theirs. So, I called the Sheriff office and they ran the serial numbers and it didn't come back stolen. Deputy took it with them anyway and refused to let the landowner have it, even though they confirmed it wasn't stolen and it was on his property and when I asked them they admitted that they didn't know WHO the rightful owner was.

My best guess, the owner of it now was one of the three deputies they sent to run the number.

I won't never be making that mistake again.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I once found a transom saver lying in a ditch in Bumfuct, Alabama. What should I do with it?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hotsoup
I'd clean it and probably hunt with it. I certainly wouldn't turn it over to any law enforcement. I might drop by a pawn shop and ask if they could tell me if it was reported stolen. I'm buds with a retired state trooper so I'd probably ask him.
Here it is a problem for pawn shops to run a hot gun for any reason. If it turns up cold they can buy or sell it or make a loan on it. If hot they have to call the police and hold it. And they have to explain it to the police.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by RAM
Originally Posted by 7mmbuster
I would be very careful of this situation. Nobody leaves a gun laying around in the woods!
I’d get ahold of law enforcement right away after clearing the gun!
You can bet they can track down the rightful owner, and go from there.
7mm
Never underestimate the stupidity of the weekend "hunter"

Hiker, snowmobiler, boater, 4wheeler.........
Well, if your name was Hunter, you’d probably skate.

DF

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by RAM
What makes you think they will run it? They have better things to do. They are'nt FFL's so they can't access NICS legally, and to run thru NCIC as a low priority will take months.
I lost a revolver to a break in, called PD filed report. A couple years later a fisherman tripped on it in a river.
ATF came a knocking (don't think for a second we don't already have Natiobal Registration) and inquired about the gun.
I informed them is was stolen. Instantly "good cop" turned to " bad cop" and I was the bad guy. "Why didn't you report it stolen"?
I had. Fortunately I kept a copy of the Police report, and my insurance papers.
The local PD never entered the data into NCIC/stolen Guns.
Suddenly I was poor "Mr. Nice Guy victim" again and their investigation was closed.
NOTHING happened for the PD dropping the ball.

There are some good Cops, god love em', I don't know how they do it, but far too many are lazy, detail sucking, donut eaters and sadly their hierarchy is infested with corruption and Marxists.
Here you go on another fantasy run! NICS DOES NOT CHECK GUN INFO, PERIOD! The info is on the 4473 only and the only part transmitted to them is about the firearm is "type." Of course that is changing with electronic records, which is why I stick to a physical bound book and hard copy 4473s.

This state does not use NICC.
It's done through the State Poleese.
And they keep all data forever.
And it's been to the Supreme Court. On an equal protection challenge.
They found in favor of The State.
It is equal because they do it to everyone.
No shìt, that was the F'n ruling!
Ponder the possibilities of that!

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim1611
Originally Posted by gregintenn
What happened to the old adage “Finders keepers, losers weepers”? grin

How many of you would take a $20 bill you found in the Walmart parking lot back in the store and turn it in?

Wasn't at walmart but the local grocery store and more than once. Took it into the store and left the money with them. Teaching my grandkids to do the same. That's my small part in MAGA!

I managed to lose/drop my wallet in a food lion parking lot one morning a couple of years ago... as i was tracing all my steps later and losing my mind in the process, a black couple was returning it to my house and left it with the wife........there are some dam fine folks still shopping at food lion.....they wouldnt accept a cash reward......but after they finally gave me a mailing address i sent them some gift certificates to a family restaurant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gregintenn
I once found a transom saver lying in a ditch in Bumfuct, Alabama. What should I do with it?

Steal the scope off it and throw the rest away.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
This state does not use NICC.
It's done through the State Poleese.
And they keep all data forever.
And it's been to the Supreme Court. On an equal protection challenge.
They found in favor of The State.
It is equal because they do it to everyone.
No shìt, that was the F'n ruling!
Ponder the possibilities of that!
Sounds like Oregon. OSP records make, model, & serial number in a forever database.

I know not how many states do likewise.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
O
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
O
I knew of a novice "big shot" hunter hunting the big woods (Adirondacks) of northern NY and became lost. After spending the night in the woods he was found the next day. He was walking in the wrong direction and could have walked for 30 miles and not hit a road... When he was found he had lost his rifle, a nice Weatherby, and his hunting jacket... Fortunately for him it was early in the season and not very cold. He was never seen at that hunting club again...

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I did not have a problem leaving my rifle and my camera on a mountain overnight.

After killing a bull at 400 yds, from a ridge line, I carried my camera, Knife, and rifle off the ridge through the buck brush to the carcass. If the bull had not stepped out of sight before falling over, I would have left the rifle with the horse.

After field dressing the bull, I had to climb, often on hands and knees, back up that steep 400 yd ridge to my horse. But I did not have to carry the rifle (Ruger #1 in 7 STW) or the camera (cost as much as the rifle and scope). They were placed behind a tree not far from the carcass.

My hunting partner was a little miffed a couple hours later when we managed to meet up. I had no camera to take pics of the bull killed by his 14 year old son.

We got the boy's bull back to camp after midnight, and retrieved mine, along with camera and rifle the next day.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Nimblehunter: Turn the Rifle over to the appropriate law enforcement agency and tell them that the young man who found it wishes to claim it after the legal time has come about.
Hope no Hunter is missing in those woods.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'd call the local law enforcement official and turn it in.

Then, I'd go home and pour a glass of wine and ask my partner to hold me.

“Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.”
― Ernest Hemingway
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
a couple of years ago, my brother in law shot a deer on his Alabama lease. He leaned his SS Weatherby against a tree and tracked down the animal. When he went back to get his rifle, it was gone. We all thought it had been stolen.
Almost a year later, he was scouting on the lease, and found his Weatherby Vanguard leaning against the same tree he left it leaning on a year earlier. All he did was mistake which tree. Dummy. lol A trip to the gunsmith found nothing really wrong, and he has continued to hunt successfully with that rifle. He is more careful about where he sets it down though.

Sam......

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hmmmm, so I guess Weatherby rifles are easier to lose than other rifles? smile

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Just last weekend at the laundromat I found a driver’s license in the washer. Google said he only lived five minutes away so while my stuff was running I drove over and dropped it off. His brother was out front so I gave it to him. Saved some guy a big hassle. OTOH when I dropped my wallet in the road in Illinois those good folks mailed it home intact with more’n $100 in cash in it, so I still owe some karma.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
RAM, do you not see those laptops in about every LE car in America? LE runs all sorts of items to see if they are stolen, cars, guns, ect. and they do it from the patrol car usually in less than a five minutes time frame.

Did you already read why you were wrong?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What idiot tracks a allegedly wounded animal WITHOUT their gun ?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 10ring1, 12344mag, 62 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,011
Posts18,500,261
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.