Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I was out chasin guns yesterday and came across what I thought was a great deal on a 99% condition Ruger #1-Varminter in caliber 223 Remington!
The gun is in superb condition - it is the walnut blued model with black recoil pad. The wood is VERY attractive and it has a Vortex 4x12 scope on it in Ruger rings.
The asking price is $950.00 (no sales tax in Montana).
The ONLY flaw or wear I could find on the Rifle was a small mar indent in the left side of the buttstock - this was very small and would make NO nevermind in a classy Colony Varmint Hunting Rifle.
My borescope inspection showed no noticeable wear.
The shops number is 406-683-9844 (Tuesday through Saturdays 9:30 AM to 2:30 PM).
Let me know if I can be of any assistance.
I have SO many 223's right now or I would have bought this handsome Rifle myself.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
i have this exact rifle and its a fun rifle to load and shoot . that is a very good price for someone .thanks for posting ,Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Pete53: I own a number of Ruger #1's and just love their styling, looks and the ones I have kept all shoot well. Among my #1's are four Varmint models in Varmint calibers - again all of which are rather accurate.
The VarmintWife gives me $1,000.00 at the end of every month as "mad money" (gun money!) and if that Rifle is still there on the 31st I may just buy it for myself and add it to the collection.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did they 12 or 14 twist those rifles?

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Very good price. I had three #1 varmint rifles, a 223 and two 22PPC. Sold all of them for lack of accuracy.

NRA Patron
IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
First off, does the varmint wife need another husband ?

I have 6 no1’s 4 of them needed a little attention to be good shooters. By little I mean 10-20 minutes of tweaking. Load development takes a bit longer but isn’t difficult

"We don't rent pigs"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I am .22 and .224 pour at the moment, have more that enough. But it sounds like a good price.

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
WeimGuy: There are times when I think she is considering trading ME in!
The VarmintWife does the "books" as she long ago learned I am NOT to be trusted with a checkbook. She does give me my mad money in hopes that that I will be shamed into NOT using my debit card so often.
I have relayed the following story a few times over the last 20+ years on here.
At the Portland, Oregon Gunshow decades ago I bought an extremely beautifully stocked new Ruger #1-B in caliber 22 Hornet - I mounted a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and had a particular use in mind. A friend had close to a ranch house Prairie Dogs I was asked to thin.
I carefully made some handloads and disappointment ensued accuracy wise - for several years I tried different bullets/powders/primers in that Hornet. Nothing worked, on a good day I could get 5 shots in 2" at 100 yards.
My frustration grew and if that #1-B was not such a great looking Rifle I would have sent it down the road after a year or two.
Then a fellow CampFirer heard of my troubles with that Ruger #1-B and made two suggestions:
#1: Switch to nickel plated Hornet brass (neck tension consistency?)
#2: Try the then new Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets
One of those two suggestions (I tried them both at the same time!) worked.
It began shooting 1" five shot groups there at 100 yards. And I went to town on those close in Prairie Dogs.
Long live the Ruger #1's
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
WeimGuy: There are times when I think she is considering trading ME in!
The VarmintWife does the "books" as she long ago learned I am NOT to be trusted with a checkbook. She does give me my mad money in hopes that that I will be shamed into NOT using my debit card so often.
I have relayed the following story a few times over the last 20+ years on here.
At the Portland, Oregon Gunshow decades ago I bought an extremely beautifully stocked new Ruger #1-B in caliber 22 Hornet - I mounted a Leupold 6x18 variable scope on it and had a particular use in mind. A friend had close to a ranch house Prairie Dogs I was asked to thin.
I carefully made some handloads and disappointment ensued accuracy wise - for several years I tried different bullets/powders/primers in that Hornet. Nothing worked, on a good day I could get 5 shots in 2" at 100 yards.
My frustration grew and if that #1-B was not such a great looking Rifle I would have sent it down the road after a year or two.
Then a fellow CampFirer heard of my troubles with that Ruger #1-B and made two suggestions:
#1: Switch to nickel plated Hornet brass (neck tension consistency?)
#2: Try the then new Hornady 35 grain V-Max bullets
One of those two suggestions (I tried them both at the same time!) worked.
It began shooting 1" five shot groups there at 100 yards. And I went to town on those close in Prairie Dogs.
Long live the Ruger #1's
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I was sure at the beginning you were going to be forced to do something against your will.
I’ve had to open a channel in the forend on two, one of those also needed a rubber washer. Having the time and patience to play with various OAL’s has been helpful on all of them. I went through all this and more on a contender several years before I could afford a #1. I’ll try some nickel plated brass on an 06 when I can get some. Things can always tighten up 😀

"We don't rent pigs"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

680 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 74 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,567 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,610
Posts18,492,482
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.