Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I have access to land in Illinois but I've never hunted there.
It's family land with plenty deer.
As a non resident, what are the rules,regulations and do I have to be drawn?
I did notice it's legal to hunt with single shot straight wall centerfire rifle.

Thanks in advance.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You won't be using that remington 280 lol. Ain't bad. Lots of public. I went to college there for a year. Awesome bow hunting. I was near pike co.. lots of big timber on rolling hills and crops. Actually choked on a 160s typical at 30 yards. I had to hunt hard and it gets cold.

Last edited by Coyote10; 07/29/23.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Read regulations for sure. Short answers are yes, you do have to "apply" for a county specific gun tag. Residents already had 1st shot. Second lottery is for residents who haven't applied yet and non residents. It may be open now.

Gun season is three days in mid November and 4 days in early December. Certain straight walls are legal. Tags are about $350 and you need a $50 non resident license and a habitat stamp.

Watch yourself and stay legal. Illinois gets a lot of non resident hunters and the wardens love to check out of state hunters.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by scottf270
Watch yourself and stay legal. Illinois gets a lot of non resident hunters and the wardens love to screw over out of state hunters.

Fixed

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scottf270
Read regulations for sure. Short answers are yes, you do have to "apply" for a county specific gun tag. Residents already had 1st shot. Second lottery is for residents who haven't applied yet and non residents. It may be open now.

Gun season is three days in mid November and 4 days in early December. Certain straight walls are legal. Tags are about $350 and you need a $50 non resident license and a habitat stamp.

Watch yourself and stay legal. Illinois gets a lot of non resident hunters and the wardens love to check out of state hunters.

I think the third lottery is open now. Pretty rare for them to be filled.

Rem280- if you need a +1, drop me a line. 😀

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I read over regulations but yalls advice is very helpful...going up in Sept to check things out. All this is new to me, heck all I do in TN is buy my sportsman license and go kill within state /county limits..lol

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
IL used to be a worldwide destination for deer hunting. Some very impressive bucks have been taken here. But the money game got the better of the "outfitters" here and their influence over the DNR became very apparent. Up in the NE corner of the state, where I am, there's just about zero public land available and it's archery only here as well. Though not common, you do get to occasionally see bucks approaching 200" here. Vehicles are the most dangerous thing to them. Also, because of the very limited hunting opportunities, poaching is a real problem. I was an IL DNR Hunter Safety Instructor for a very long time and got to know some of the DNR CPO's very well and some of the stories they told me were just incredible...

Best to you Remington280, there are some real bruisers running around here!

It isn't what happens to you that defines you, it's what you DO about what happens to you that defines you!

NRA life member

Illinois State Rifle Association member
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Monroe county is where I'll be hunting....not sure how popular that county is.
My wife's cousin owns the land, hes too busy making money to hunt.
I'll be headed up soon to check it out, it's just a 4 hr drive from my house.

Last edited by Remington280; 07/30/23.

HMM-161, HMM-364
Semper Fi Brothers
Z
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Z
Originally Posted by DeanAnderson
IL used to be a worldwide destination for deer hunting. Some very impressive bucks have been taken here. But the money game got the better of the "outfitters" here and their influence over the DNR became very apparent. Up in the NE corner of the state, where I am, there's just about zero public land available and it's archery only here as well. Though not common, you do get to occasionally see bucks approaching 200" here. Vehicles are the most dangerous thing to them. Also, because of the very limited hunting opportunities, poaching is a real problem. I was an IL DNR Hunter Safety Instructor for a very long time and got to know some of the DNR CPO's very well and some of the stories they told me were just incredible...

Best to you Remington280, there are some real bruisers running around here!

Same issue here in the EC part of the state... land access is the real rub these days. So much acreage has changed hands and been built on or bought up as vacation playgrounds over the past couple decades that it's dang hard to find anywhere to hunt anymore unless you own a plot, or have family that does. The odds of draw for firearm tag on the few bits of public within a reasonable driving distance of my place are slim at best, closer to none.

To the OP - the way the law is worded you can also use a repeater in a legal cartridge, but the magazine has to be capable of holding zero rounds. I've made mag plugs for a couple of my lever actions, and I know a couple guys who will be using bolts in 300 Blackout with single shot box magazines this year.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You might want to get one of these if you want to use an AR15.
https://originalbobsled.com/arsleds.aspx

Politics is War by Other Means

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

64 members (Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 308ld, 4 invisible), 1,419 guests, and 721 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.