Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Have a scoped mounted in QD rings but would like to have a bbl mounted rear sight. The exisiting rear sight is pretty useless. It's a horrible sight as is and then if you raise it enough to see over the weaver bases it just looks stupid.

Don't want to go the on/off route with the rear sight mounted on the base.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 07/09/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My thoughts? I have always thought the sights on BLR's were some of the best open sights in existence.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
we are talking about this one, correct?

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004930941

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve had good results with Skinner peep sights, the factory rear sight is a non starter for me. My eye placement naturally sit’s higher and Skinner,s peep sights do well for me particularly when putting the bead on a jumped Varmint or game.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
My thoughts? I have always thought the sights on BLR's were some of the best open sights in existence.

This

Grumpy old man with a gun.....Do not touch .
Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Don't bother my monument and I'll leave yours alone.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I got 348srfun (past gunsmith, now just a Campfire member) to put a receiver sight along with a weaver scope mount base on a Marlin 336. It works great. I don't see why a gunsmith couldn't do it to a BLR too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Harry
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Yep

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Originally Posted by EddieSouthgate
Originally Posted by Triggernosis

This
This

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I guess that's what makes the world go around becuase I put the in the category of useless as compared to all the other open sights out there.

Question - if there are so great, why does no other rifle maker or even sight company use anything close to it.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mike,
How about adding a picatinny rail and a peep or ghost sight?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Snowwolfe
Mike,
How about adding a picatinny rail and a peep or ghost sight?

I was just looking at that direction a few minutes a go. I hope I can find an aluminum rail. The takedown model is alreayd heavy enough.

Thanks

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 08/06/23.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Because its is/was proprietary. Why doesn't Ford run a small block Chevy? Am I going too fast?

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by RAM
Because its is/was proprietary. Why doesn't Ford run a small block Chevy? Am I going too fast?

Sure their abomination of a rear sight is proprietary to them, but there is nothing proprietary about the basic technology of a rear sight and attaching a rear sight to a rifle barrel. Browning could have chosen from two or three existing sight mfgs and probably spent less money than the design and production costs of that sight. But I am probably going to fast.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You do realize the best sighting is as close to over the center of the bore as possible? Sounds like your willing to erecting a bridal cake to get sight options.
When was the last time you had a scope fail? Me? Never. I'm 60. If I'm away on a hunt I bring two rifles not multiple sights on one.

America is (supposed to be) a Republic, NOT a democracy. Learn the difference, help end the lie. Fear a government that fears your guns.
RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I like their open sight choice. And apparently most others do to. They used it on several rifles and shotguns.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Originally Posted by RAM

Sure their abomination of a rear sight is proprietary to them, but there is nothing proprietary about the basic technology of a rear sight and attaching a rear sight to a rifle barrel. Browning could have chosen from two or three existing sight mfgs and probably spent less money than the design and production costs of that sight. But I am probably going to fast.

Because, all the other Makers offer 2 or 3 sight options? Not!
Sounds like you have an axe to grind with Browning. Why I don't know.
All makers design for the masses. Not just YOU.

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know son, I'm guessing your a young hot head full of juice. Word to the wise. When seeking help with an issue, its best not to kick the door in and start making derogatory comments about something you are not qualified to speak on , especially from one of the oldest and most respected arms makers in the World .
There will come a time in your life when you will no longer be a young bull, and appreciate the wisdom of the old bulls.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ram,

You should not make assumptions.

1) I am older than you.

2) This has nothing to do with scopes failing. It has to do with wanting useable iron sights. I enjoy using iron sights from time to time.

3) The patent ran out on that sight years ago. Given, nobody else makes a rear sight anything close to the Browning BLR style, its mass appeal would seem questionable. Standard rear V or U blades and apperature/peeps are pretty universal. Like Browning chose to use on its 22.

4) Browning chose not use this sight on the their BPR and BAR which were produced while this sight was available best as I can tell.

5) A quick review of Marbles and Williams shows ~ a 1/2 dozen sights that would have likely been easy to accomodate and less expensive than designing and mfg a sight from scratch.

6) An axe to grind with Browning? Hardly, given I have owned at least 1/2 dozen of their rifles, pistols, and shotguns and liked them except for the issue of the rear sight on the BLR.

I could go on but I have already wasted enough of my time. Mike - Out

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I totally agree.

BLR sights are………weird.

I get the triggers fixed……..but the sights……

I dunno

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

RAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1, if your over 60, get some help. Cuz your weave is too tight, grow up. Your wife must be a Saint. You sound like a millenial

2 you were talking rails,see thrus, and other Rube Goldberg.set ups , and stated you were scoped now.

3. It doesn't mount via 3/8 dt. You really think all the other makers are going to retool to use a Browning sight off patent after they are already in production ? GFR.

4.it was used on the BAR, they changed to it. BPR I can't say with certainty but I'ld bet they probably phased it in like the BAR as manufacturing moved from Belgium to Japan

5.O.k.. then, put a Williams or Marbles on and STFU. Problem solved. Personally that would be like brown shoes with a tux but knock yourself out

6.if you are the Browning lover that you say you are, you know they over engineer everything. That friggin'Buckmark should come with a Pit Crew. You NEED 3 hands to reassemble. Most accept it as part of their charm.

Thank you for gracing us with your presence, work on not being a douche'. Peace out.(Boy everything metric must really piss you off)

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 17CalFan, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,484 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,771
Posts18,515,571
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.