Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yellow Trucking one of the largest and oldest Trucking companies in America told the Teamsters Union to Pound Sand and closed its doors instead of continuing to be extorted by the Mob.

30,000 workers will be displaced and the Union gets NOTHING and the brain dead workers get less.

Next will be to sell off their assets which will acquired by those that will never allow a Union Thug on their property, bring profits up, stability up and work ethic up.

ROCK ON YELLOW

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Another death by labor union.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Captain cut n paste vs supposed expert . This should be good.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Some years ago, Yellow took over Roadway, the 2d largest, and renamed it YRC. I wonder if this applies to them, too. Roadway was unioni and I assume YRC was, too. Yellow also owns some non-union companies.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
.......... A very accurate and concise analysis. We have a winner.

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
F*ck the Unions and those that support their extortion tactics.

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe, an Obama phone, free health insurance. and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.
MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y'All remember when the union killed off Hostess?

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I worked for a small trucking company in South Carolina, G&P. I drove over the road for 8 years.
We were non union and the company abused us. I had to stay out on the road for 14 days, sometimes as long as 20 days, and then I got 2 days off. For $65,000 a year.

At the same time UPS drivers were on the road for 5 days and off for 2, and making $105K a year. Teamsters. Roughly speaking, UPS did half the work for twice the pay.

UPS drivers earned every penny, but I should have gotten the same pay, and I wish my company had gone union.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yellow and all the associated companies are bankrupt.

Recent events : Yellow leadership wanted more concessions to remain alive. Union said no.

Their top driver pay was 27 an hour. No where near top for industry. Yellow drivers did have a good pension and medical tho, why people stayed there.

Union said no more concessions.
Yellow misses 50m payment to health n pension fund. Don't have the money.
Union threatens to strike.
Yellow begs court for TRO against.
Denied - assumed Union strikes.
Pension fund grants 30 day extension.
Yellow basically starts drawing down operations as of last Wed with a push to get all freight out if system by weekend. (Ukn if they did. We're telling people to arrange pick up at terminals after Fri)
Stops all ops today at noon.

Before freight started being diverted from Yellow 10 days or so ago in earnest - it was estimated they were losing 4-10m a day.

Poorly managed company. Never should have bought Roadway. Roadway should have bought them. Better leadership.

Yellow got 700m 3 years ago to modernize and stay alive. IIRC, they've paid all of $230.00 in principle back to the .gov on that loan. They're 1.5b in debt with that all due next year.

Yellow's worth more in liquidation than operations at this point. Knight/Swift has already said they're interested in some of the real estate. 300 terminals. ABF and T-Force will likely be interested in some, tractors and forklifts and drivers as they're still Union.

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rachel had good article on it 3 weeks ago, before it all went down at speed.

MODES - Freightwaves

Me

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by steve4102
Yellow Trucking one of the largest and oldest Trucking companies in America told the Teamsters Union to Pound Sand and closed its doors instead of continuing to be extorted by the Mob.

30,000 workers will be displaced and the Union gets NOTHING and the brain dead workers get less.

Next will be to sell off their assets which will acquired by those that will never allow a Union Thug on their property, bring profits up, stability up and work ethic up.

ROCK ON YELLOW

Outstanding.

GR

S
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Teal

Recent events : Yellow leadership wanted more concessions to remain alive. Union said no.

Their top driver pay was 27 an hour. No where near top for industry. Yellow drivers did have a good pension and medical tho, why people stayed there.

Yellow basically starts drawing down operations as of last Wed with a push to get all freight out if system by weekend. (Ukn if they did. We're telling people to arrange pick up at terminals after Fri)

Before freight started being diverted from Yellow 10 days or so ago in earnest - it was estimated they were losing 4-10m a day.

Poorly managed company. Never should have bought Roadway. Roadway should have bought them. Better leadership.

Yellow got 700m 3 years ago to modernize and stay alive. IIRC, they've paid all of $230.00 in principle back to the .gov on that loan. They're 1.5b in debt with that all due next year.

Yellow's worth more in liquidation than operations at this point. Knight/Swift has already said they're interested in some of the real estate. 300 terminals. ABF and T-Force will likely be interested in some, tractors and forklifts and drivers as they're still Union.
Typical Union/Mob tactic, Kick Them When They Are Down and most vulnerable.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
So the OP is claiming what ?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Internal email from Tue last week at Yellow

4th largest barn they had last week - no freight getting tendered to them due to uncertainty = head shot to the company from about 1 inch.

Severance package

Me

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by steve4102

Typical Union/Mob tactic, Kick Them When They Are Down and most vulnerable.

Neither side is without blame but there aren't enough concessions available to save Yellow. They should have been allowed to die 3 years ago.

ETA: From 2008-2020 they almost went TU 4 different times. Each time they were "saved" by government, lender and union concessions. All that happened here was they said "there will be no #5"

Me

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Random picture of Wilma and Betty walking out...

For no other reason than I felt like it...

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
.......... A very accurate and concise analysis. We have a winner.

Do a bit of research before you all jump on the union.

Yellow committed suicide through greed and expansion.

They bought up every competitor they could.
With no clear plan to either eliminate them or utilize them.
That lead to running multiple companies at less than capacity competing
with each other.

Times when the literally had 2 trucks hitting the same dock to pickup a couple skids.
Taking them to 2 terminals and reloading them into two different Linehaul trucks.
Which then took them to two different terminals in the same city.

The only role the union played in this was to repeatedly grant concession to
save jobs. Over the last 12 or more years. Which was an admittedly stupid decision for all concerned. Their compensation had fallen below what they would accept.

You all congratulate a poorly run company for going broke.

I congratulate the workers for not taking it anymore.

You might be more correct. The top management, the ones ultimately responsibly for success or failure, will be the only winners. They will walkway with pockets full.
29,900 of the employees will lose.

It's a sad day for this truck driver.
A way of life that used to be BlueCollar Gold got terminal years ago.
Yellow/Roadway closing eliminates all but one of The Big Dogs that provided
darn good employment for many thousands of folks for 100 years.

PS.
Was never a union driver.
Applied to Yellow once, and was gonna be drug tested and given a physical.
(Hired, if I didn't fail those.)
Then I ran into the wall that kept me out of those jobs.
Can't say if it was the companies or the union for sure, but they would never
hire you fulltime. It was always a call board, for years. By seniority.

The phone rang, you had 2 hours to go to work.
If it didn't ring for 4 days you didn't work.
It wasn't a game I was willing to play.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Internal email from Wed last week at Yellow

4th largest barn they had last week - no freight getting tendered to them due to uncertainty = head shot to the company from about 1 inch.

Severance package

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Read that severance policy!

You must acknowledge by 12PM of your last day!
How many drivers and dock workers will miss that in the turmoil of losing their job?

Max of 6 weeks severance for workers?
Guaranfuckingtee you they had many thousands of 20 and 30 years employees!

Being a director gets you 6.5.
A VP or above 13?

As usual, as I posted above,
The [bleep] who destroy a company ate the ones who walk away with the
largesse. Those nasty workers who literally gave money OUT of their pocket to keep Yellow afloat get nothing.

I saw a video where Yellow wouldn't even consider the workers laid off Friday so
they could start unemployment. They are letting them swing in the breeze.

Times like this I don't envy middle and low level management.
They are the ones who know and are close to the workers. They usually have to deal with those they manage while they go through this. Then they lose their own jobs.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
UNFORTUNATELY, Yellow's issues were internal and not Union related. Their problems started in the early 90's once the 3rd generation took over operations and put all their buds, college roommates, etc in executive positions. The stock holders took over, fired Powell the 3rd and brought in Maury Meyers who ran it like a company and not a fraternity. He retired in early 2000 and the replaced him with Bill Zollars. Worse mistake ever. He tried to be smart but did not have the credentials. Biggest nail in the coffin was buying Roadway. Roadway at this time was no longer a reputable company and was heading to bankruptcy. Inheriting their incompetence is what ultimately caused today's final issues with Yellow. In 2009, they merged Roadway and Yellow, kicked Yellow 's executives out, put Roadways people in. They even had to use Roadway's computer system which was based on DOS...in 2009? To prepare for this, remaining management had to take a 15% pay cut. In 2011, they slowly incorporated Yellow people back in, but the smarts ones were gone leaving the ones promoted on who they knew and not what they knew. The Teamsters took a 20 % wage reduction soon after this to help cover the dept of buying Roadway and all the terrible upper management decisions that followed. Immediately after this cut, Yellow's ignorant managment created multiple executive positions, filled them with mostly dumbass and what is happening today is sadly the result of all this idiocincracy. I'm not a Teamster, but this issue was not caused by Teamsters. Piss poor management by Yellow's executives starting in the early 2000. I retired 5 years ago having spent 30 yrs with Yellow, all in management. I could give names and dates associated with all of this, but when I left....I left. A lot of good people....Teamsters and management are suffering today due to piss poor management.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I worked for 18 years for PIE Freightlines, which also went through a number of buyouts. It was also known at different times as Ryder/PIE, and PIE Nationwide. When they merged Ryder and PIE, all the top management slots went to Ryder execs who had already proved that they couldn't run a trucking company. They dragged it into the mud. Meanwhile, the company went through ownerships by several international holding companies. Each one skimmed off all they could and sold it to another one. The final straw was when the CEO of PIE stole millions to pay off the mob to stay alive. He went to prison and the company went under.
I sure wasn't a union man but I did work there long enough to be fully vested in the union pension plan. I've been drawing a pension check each month for 10 years now. It's not real big since I didn't work there long enough for a full pension, but it's been regular.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (10Glocks, 1minute, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 1lessdog, 62 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,797
Posts18,516,151
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.