Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#18549226 07/01/23
Ngrumba Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Im going back to Zimbabwe in October to hunt buffalo again. This time as well as a bull, i can hunt 2 cows. Anyone ever hunt cows? Since they are non-trophy- do you just shoot one without a calf out of the herd, or is there another way to judge them?

GB1

NTO Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Typically they shoot old dry cows. Don’t take a cow hunt lightly I had one charge and stopped it at 6yds wounded they just like a bull.

North Texas Outfitters
www.huntexoticgame.com

R2BA Auction Company LLC
www.r2baauctions.com
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Only buffalo that charged and damn near flattened me was a cow.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by NTO
Typically they shoot old dry cows. Don’t take a cow hunt lightly I had one charge and stopped it at 6yds wounded they just like a bull.

This ^^^

My latest cow was a nasty, short-tempered sort. Stopped it at 10 ~ 15 yards.

Too dang much fun.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you're trying to get them to come out tonight, I think that you would have better luck if you referred to them as buffalo gals.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
What others said about the cows..they are not to be trifled with. I had a couple close encounters and one bluff charge.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I had a cow do a bluff charge while I was hunting a bull.

My PH said if she had come 5 yards closer he’d have to shoot her.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I think hunting cow cape buffalo is great fun. Actually I can’t see much difference in hunting bulls or cows. They are herd animals and the only difference is the price and the hero pictures that conclude the hunt. Bulls do weight a couple hundred pounds more but that isn’t a big deal.
Incidentally a cow with a calf is much more likely to be aggressive in my experience.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Shot this buffalo cow in 2021 with my Ruger bisley 45 colt at (I think) 54 yds with a 325 gr cast solid, she was walking & it was an angling shot. I broke the right front shoulder & it exited, knocking her down on her right leg & her nose. She stood back up but didn't move. I waited for her to turn & ran a second shot through the ribs & vitals with the bullet stopping in the off side shoulder & she dropped straight down on all fours & rolled on her side. The second bullet was a 308 gr cast solid that was water quenched, when I got back to Idaho & weighed the bullet it still weighed 308 grs.
The nose had flattened just a bit but nose weight loss. She was an old cow with heavy bosses.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Dick

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Well done you. That is a big mature cow. Bullet placement is the primary concern.

Please educate me about a water quenched cast bullet. Pleased to learn you got to test two different bullets.

I’ll wager that you had a fine time.

Rick

Last edited by RinB; 07/06/23.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
IC B3

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Idaho, that's just outstanding!

Guy

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Rick, on this trip I didn't intend to shoot a Cape Buffalo but my PH made me such a great offer on a mature cow that I couldn't turn it down. Problem was the way I had my Ruger bisley loaded was, first chamber with a 282 gr cast HP, second chamber with a 308 gr water quenched cast solid in case I had to take a bad angling shot after the first shot. That's the way my cylinder was loaded, HP, solid, HP, solid, HP, solid. But, I remembered I did have one 325 gr cast water quenched solid in my pocket, just in case....... so, after we agreed on a price I slipped a 282 gr HP out, plunked the 325 gr water quenched solid in next to a 308 gr water quenched solid & we went Buffalo hunting!
I'm pretty sure the first 325 gr shot was fatal, I sure would have liked to have it on video, she never took a step, just dropped on her nose & then got up but very, very shaky & Verner saying hit her again. Her butt was towards me so I waited an hour (5 seconds) and when she gave me the quartering shot I busted the 308 gr water quenched cast through her rib cage getting the vitals & stopping against the off side shoulder, dropping her straight down on all fours & she slowly rolled over with her back towards me.
When I cast my bullets I powder coat them at 400 degrees for 12-13 minutes & then water quench them in cold water & then size them as soon as they are dry, if you wait they can be very hard to size. I spray them with Hornady One Shot Case Lube before sizing to make it much easier to do. In a week or so they will become much harder.
The 308 gr bullet still weighed 308 grs after the trackers cleaned it up at the skinning shed. I pulled a couple of other bullets & weighed them to make sure but they also weighed 308 grs, it was amazing they had penetrated that much Buffalo & lost no weight.
Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 07/07/23.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunting buffalo cows can be challenging because they are normally trying to take specific cows out of the herd. It is easier to spot and keep track of a trophy bull. With the cows it was harder to ensure that you and your PH are on the same animal. And yes they are tough animals.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I enjoyed the excellent post above. I should have tuned into this forum years ago.

I have taken 10 cape buffalo cows and 3 bulls. The PH finds me an old, barren cow to take. it is perfect animal to take out of a herd from conservation point of view. Cows are just as challenging to hunt as bulls, in my experience. I am told that they can cause a lot of trouble too. I just got back from taking 3 cows and one bull.

Last edited by Brian9; 09/03/23. Reason: new to forum and needed to add a comment.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The widest horns are on cows. They're not as heavy and don't have the Classic drop, but they can look magnificent. Bulls don't corner the market on ornery.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brian9
I enjoyed the excellent post above. I should have tuned into this forum years ago.

I have taken 10 cape buffalo cows and 3 bulls. The PH finds me an old, barren cow to take. it is perfect animal to take out of a herd from conservation point of view. Cows are just as challenging to hunt as bulls, in my experience. I am told that they can cause a lot of trouble too. I just got back from taking 3 cows and one bull.

Outstanding! Heck of a first post.

Welcome aboard. Feel free to drop in some photos of your buffalo hunts. Not sure that I'll ever get to do that, but I sure like seeing the photos and learning from others.

Regards, Guy

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks Guy, Brian

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

443 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 39 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.