Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#18632232 08/01/23
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
1% ers

99 % of those born between 1930 and 1946 (worldwide) are now dead. If you were born in this time span, you are one of the rare surviving 1% ers of this special group. Their ages range is between 77 and 93 years old, a 16 year age span.

INTERESTING FACTS ABOUT THE 1% ERS:

You are the smallest group of children born since the early 1900's.

You are the last generation, climbing out of the depression, who can remember the winds of war and the impact of a world at war that rattled the structure of our daily lives for years.

You are the last to remember ration books for everything from gas to sugar to shoes to stoves.

You saved tin foil and poured fried meat fat into tin cans.

You can remember milk being delivered to your house early in the morning and placed in the "milk box" on the porch.

Discipline was enforced by parents and teachers.

You are the last generation who spent childhood without television; instead, you "imagined" what you heard on the radio.

With no TV, you spent your childhood "playing outside".

There was no Little League.

There was no city playground for kids

The lack of television in your early years meant that you had little real understanding of what the world was like.

We got "black-and-white" TV in the late 40s that had 3 stations and no remote.

Telephones were one to a house, often shared (party lines), and hung on the wall in the kitchen (no cares about privacy).

Computers were called calculators; they were hand-cranked.

Typewriters were driven by pounding fingers, throwing the carriage, and changing the ribbon.

'INTERNET' and 'GOOGLE' were words that did not exist.

Newspapers and magazines were written for adults and the news was broadcast on your radio in the evening. (your dad would give you the comic pages when he read the news)

New highways would bring jobs and mobility. Most highways were 2 lanes (no interstates).

You went downtown to shop. You walked to school.

The radio network expanded from 3 stations to thousands.

Your parents were suddenly free from the confines of the depression and the war, and they threw themselves into working hard to make a living for their families.

You weren't neglected, but you weren't today's all-consuming family focus.

They were glad you played by yourselves.

They were busy discovering the postwar world.

You entered a world of overflowing plenty and opportunity; a world where you were welcomed, enjoyed yourselves.

You felt secure in your future, although the depression and poverty were deeply remembered.

Polio was still a crippler. Everyone knew someone who had it.

You came of age in the '50s and '60s.

You are the last generation to experience an interlude when there were no threats to our homeland.

World War 2 was over and the cold war, terrorism, global warming, and perpetual economic insecurity had yet to haunt life.

Only your generation can remember a time after WW2 when our world was secure and full of bright promise and plenty.

You grew up at the best possible time, a time when the world was getting better.

More than 99% of you are retired now, and you should feel privileged to have "lived in the best of times!"

If you have already reached the age of 77 years old, you have outlived 99% of all the other people in the world who were born in this special 16 year time span. You are a 1% 'er"!_._,_._,_

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Interesting

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
No little league?

What did kids do to achieve superior athletic feats?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
My 91yo mom can recall the sound of Luftwaffe engines and exploding bombs. A vanishing breed indeed.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
And yet some how we survived such hellish conditions in our young lives.

IC B2

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
The Good Lord must have something more for me to do for Him.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My Dad must be less than 1%.

Born in 1928, 94 years old. Now living with me, my wife, and son.

Served on the heavy cruiser USS Albany in the early 50's. Gunner on a twin 3" turret.

MAC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My mother is 84 and falls solidly in the middle of this bunch. And she is still a gal you don't want to mess with. She grew up on a broken down farm on a patch of prairie dust in Wray, Colorado.

You get out of life what you are willing to accept. If you ain't happy, do something about it!
D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
Milk wasn’t delivered to our door, it came direct from the source on our farm. My mom is a 1%er. She’s 95, still drives to town (18 miles mostly gravel road) to get groceries and go to church.

NRA Patron
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Let me add one thing from wayyy back..... the seeds of Marxist theory were being planted way back then, and have since blossomed into college curricula taught by communist faculty members on university campuses all across the country. Faculty and administrators who openly promote Marxism and Communism over our American capitalist-free market system, as well as teaching our children to hate their own country is now the norm.

Illegitimi non carborundum

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by wabigoon
More blurry pictures

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
My dad's in that group. 91 years old. Still fairly sharp and can get around. Living with my sister and brother in law.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
"You can remember milk being delivered to your house early in the morning and placed in the "milk box" on the porch."

Well heck, I'm nowhere near that old and I can remember that just fine. Was that way till I guess I was about 12. When it was that way, I never imagined it would change.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If they are alive they may not make it past the 82-Jab

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I was born in ‘46 and am 77yo.
I really don’t feel all that special Dan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by wabigoon

Learn how to spell?

Black Cows Matter!
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
this would have fit my parents mom born in 43 dad born in 44. dad deceased 2016 but mom is still living and doing good..
some of those things I kind of remember from my grandparents house. Dad did survive polio as a little kid

Last edited by ldholton; 08/01/23.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
What do you mean, "Without worry"? You don`t remember "Duck and Cover" under the school desk?

Yea. all our Dad`s were Vets, some harder than others, but we toed the line, or else. My Dad was a Pacific vet...and he was not to be fooled with. He left school in the 9th grade to work in our local Iron mines, his Father passing early in life, and had the responsability of helping to support the family. I was born in 43, in a small town of 3k people in the U.P. Dad always thought we had it made growing up.. heck, I even had a bike, but we learned to work. Saved some money from my job stocking shelves, working on farms and peeling Popple to buy my first .22, a Marlin, weekly payments ofcourse. Shot a gob of rats at the local dump, which was only two blocks from the house, also shot them in our alley and waved to the town Cop. Clide Banfield when he went by.

Hell, maybe we did have it made.

O
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
O
I remember. my dad hauled milk to the local cheese plant. all the cheese was made into a ball in a net and sent to italy. he tried to inlist 3 times . they said essential occupation . we raised chickens for the local hatchery. had some cows and pigs . ate well when some wern't. Im now 87 fish hunt make garden do woodwork . tough as old leather.

U
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
U
I salute you sir.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

489 members (1moredeer, 160user, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 2,685 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,798
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.