Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice! Congrats.

GB1

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
No go for myself or any of the rest of our hunting crew.

Two buddies have camps up there: one off Winslow Hill, the other not far away off 555 on the other side of the creek.

I’ve crossed paths with elk a few times up there chasing whitetail. It’s something to be up in a ladder stand, hear some leaves rustling, then see a big bull come through instead of the whitetail I’d been hoping for! It’s an experience getting to watch them though, that’s for sure.

One of the guys we hunt with is a guide up there and the pictures he shows of the bulls taken continues to blow my mind.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
TRUE STORY.
For the first few years of the annual Elk shoot, it was a (requirement) that all the hunters have a registered guide.
And there were training classes for those wishing to be a registered guide.
I had lived in PA. for 64 years prior to moving to Florida, and had been hunting in that region since 1947 when i became 12 years old. We had a camp in the area that became Quehanna, which is very close to our present camp near Driftwood.
Anyway my brother in law had the camp phone number in his name for billing purposes for the phone company. And he had received a call from the PGC informing him/us that an Elk had been shot on our property (inside the required safety zone distance requirements.) And did we wish to press charges against the (AHEM ) hunter, who of coarse had a guide.
My brother in law said if no damage was done to the camp we wouldnt press charges, so the guy got a free pass.
Fast forward to the following fall.
I had arrived at the camp a few days prior to the bear season, a strange vehicle pulled in the drive and the driver asked for me by name. He then told me that he was the hunter who had shot the Elk. And to show his appreciation for his not getting fined for the safety zone violation, he brought us a nice Elk roast. I thanked him for the roast, and then asked if he was a regular hunter in that area. He said no, in fact he had never been in the area till the evening before his hunt.
BUT, he had since then taken the guide coarse, and he offered a free hunt to any camp members who might draw a tag. For about a minit i could do nothing but stare at the guy. But finally i was able to talk, and i said wait a minit. You have only visited this place now 2 times, and ive been coming here for about 60 years and you want to guide me?
He then said that dosent matter, you still need a registered guide, and im simply offering my services free.
About 30 seconds later he left, and i never saw him again. lol

Come sit on our porch, and watch the same vehicles drive by numerous times thruout the day, as they make the loop around the zone, hunting for their trophy.
So far three of them have gotten lucky as they drove past our place.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There are slob hunters everywhere.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by Teeder
There are slob hunters everywhere.
I wouldnt necessarily refer to them as slob hunters.
They are more of an opportunistic brand of hunter, at least many of them are.
If these animals insist on hanging around places close to roads, then thats where many of them will be shot.
Im well aware of many of the food plot locations for example.
And all those im aware of are within a few hundred yards of some type of a traveled road.
So the (loop) i referred to, could take the hunter past several of them.

IC B2

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 10gaugemag, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,188
Posts18,484,884
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.