Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
[quote=Jim_Conrad]Wrong.
Only coyotes and wind turbines kill birds.[/quot

And many people responding to this thread think that in this discussion power lines means wind turbines.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you have never seen a squirrel buy it on a powerline, it's worth adding to your bucket list.

I was gazing out the window of my office many years ago. I noticed a gray squirrel walking along the power line on the next street down. He hopped onto the transformer and the next thing I knew, there was an orange incandescent ball of plasma, about basketball size. A half-second later came the report. I felt it through the glass.

Yowzah!

All that was left was a small flurry of what looked like snow coming down from the pole.

We had a racoon go into the transformer outside work a number of years ago. I was behind two steel doors and a cubicle wall. It took out the electricity in half the plant and the report was considerably louder than a squirrel. We had to send the second shift home.

Back when I was working at the power company in Scumsuck, a few dudes went into the nearby substation and tried to steal copper, armed with metal-handled pruning shears. That report must have been tremendous, but that happened 3rd shift. I was home at the time.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Self-project much?

Originally Posted by 5sdad
And many people responding to this thread think that in this discussion power lines means wind turbines.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Self-project much?

Isn't that putting the cart before the egg? Or some such?

Turbines require transmission lines...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Have you watched the video where the lineman does maintenance on live transmission lines? Crawling around on them…..with the electrical drain stick?

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by MIKEWERNER
Self-project much?

Isn't that putting the cart before the egg? Or some such?

Turbines require transmission lines...

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
One set of powerlines from one reactor, due to scale and voltage would eliminate the need for a huge number of turbines, solar screens, tiny hydro projects, and more... and their accompanying grid. And your point is?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Electricity probably isn’t killing them.

Could be anything…..possibly toxic (to them) cable sheathing……or other outside factors.

Originally Posted by Sitka deer
One set of powerlines from one reactor, due to scale and voltage would eliminate the need for a huge number of turbines, solar screens, tiny hydro projects, and more... and their accompanying grid. And your point is?

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Find it very hard to believe birds are poached in any substantial numbers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I still am a bit confused as to what nerves I unintentionally contacted. My point was that the initial post was addressing birds that were shot as opposed to ones that had been electrocuted by power lines would provide people an opening to jump all over wind turbines, even though they threaten the extinction of all bird life by physical contact rather than electrocution.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If something doesn’t seem quite right, it usually isn’t.

Apologies, no excuse.

I still am a bit confused as to what nerves I unintentionally contacted. My point was that the initial post was addressing birds that were shot as opposed to ones that had been electrocuted by power lines would provide people an opening to jump all over wind turbines, even though they threaten the extinction of all bird life by physical contact rather than electrocution.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Oh, now I get it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Again, apologies.

Oh, now I get it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Local small time rural power lines….run 7200V phase to neutral here….to transformers. Possible zap on primary side connection.

110/220V (X,Z,Y legs) from transformer…..slightly more possible for animal problems on secondary side.

Blame shifting, for whatever reason.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
We don't have any rabbits or quail anymore because of the predator birds I wouldn't mind more of them getting fried.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
We don't have any rabbits or quail anymore because of the predator birds I wouldn't mind more of them getting fried.
Stray cats and loss of habitat don't help but a large reduction in raptors wouldn't bother me any.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
Yep,

that's 100% of the cause of rabbit and quail population crashes.

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by DMc
I’m calling bullshit.

100%

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Came home to no power a couple weeks back. A beefy Morris type tabby was beneath the pole with the blown fuse.

Not found any birds out there though.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The whole assertion that bird kills from power lines are from electrocution seems quite odd. I've seen ravens buy it when landing on a power pole / transformer, and it's impressive.

Also typically knocks at least one leg out, and then you've got to call the power company, again. And the stupid ravens smell when fried.

Long way of saying that bird strikes are far, far more prevalent that electrocutions.

Again, smell test.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Dutch, a good proportion of our rural service lines, not the long distance transmission one but the ones on the wooden poles, have covers over the wires for a couple of feet on either side of the pole. I'm assuming it's to keep the numerous raptors from getting zapped.

Some of them out by our place don't have them though, so I guess this guy could be in danger?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1badf350, 1minute, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,459 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.