Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
This old House J Frame.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I received this as a gift after graduating a state LE program more than 2 decades ago. It rode many miles doing its work, both in an ankle rig, then in a pocket. Now that I am free of all that it still gets carried often and shot semi frequently. Used as a testing platform for ammo development. It has seen a bunch of rounds. I was looking at it yesterday evening after carrying it and realized it was past due for a good scrubbing and inspection.

It is far from pristine inspection.

Funny thing is that there is a saying about J Frame .38s. The saying is that they get carried a lot, and shot a little. That is not the case here. This one has been carried a lot and shot a lot. The wear on the breech face sort of tells the story:

As does the ejector rod:

More to follow...

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Tuning in...

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have a S&W Model 640 J Frame 38 Special revolver that I carried as a BUG for many years as a LEO. Like yours, it had been carried and shot a lot. When I leave home, it is with me. It is an old and trusted friend.

μολὼν λαβέ
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I checked the barrel and forcing cone.

All looked good.

This gun used to get fired a bunch. I stopped counting around 5K rounds. I don't fire it anywhere near as much as I did when I was on the job, but it still sees a fair bit of time at the range. I know I have put at least another 1K rounds through it, but do not believe I am up to 7K rounds yet. It is surprising to me that it has held up as well as it has.

The only major issue that has ever happened is that about 8 years or so ago, the firing pin broke. I called S&W and they said "send it in". I told them it was a work gun and gave them a little of my background. They agreed to send me the part instead. So I took it apart:

Practical tips:

The round object in the middle of the pic above the frame, to the left of the screwdriver tip is a magnet. Helps keep screws and small parts in one place and later keeps them on the end of your bit.

Plus a little clear finger nail polish hardener on the threads of things like the cylinder release help prevent them from coming loose:

I think this pic is actually from a Model 19, but the tip is still the same.

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you're like me, the more worn in and marked up such a trusted friend is, the more you like it. You should see my work .375!

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by TNrifleman
I have a S&W Model 640 J Frame 38 Special revolver that I carried as a BUG for many years as a LEO. Like yours, it had been carried and shot a lot. When I leave home, it is with me. It is an old and trusted friend.

Yep,

The J frames may be low capacity and for some, may not be easy to shoot well, but they are quite reliable when maintained properly.

Mine is now loaded back up with full wadcutters and ready ride in the front pocket again.

Not usually a primary gun for me, but always a trusted friend.

Simple old school and effective tools.

cool

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I just watched a documentary on "Jelly" Bryce, the legendary Oklahoma lawman. His favorite gun was a Smith and Wesson with a 4 inch barrel.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My "J" Frame flat latch would be the last handgun I'd sell. I had to qualify with those every 6 months back in the dark ages, and still shoot them pretty well.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
For many years I have heard how weak the J Frame is, and how you are not supposed to shoot it very much.

My experience has differed quite a bit from that. Part of the problem is that if something as simple as a hand or cylinder stop needs replaced, most people think their revolver is now forever worn out and useless. Learning how to replace a few common parts can extend the shooting life of your guns for a very long time.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Same. Mine is a 642, of the carried a lot, shot a little class. Need to start remedying that shot a little part.

Think.
It's not illegal, yet.
IC B3

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Tag

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very correct load for that revolver! I carried the same in my M66 shorty many times too.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Finish loss on a ‘working firearm’ from holster wear and being pawed a million times, to me, is just plain cool, even sexy.

🦫

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I too love than worn look !!!

"not too grumpy"
K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Look up Steve A. Camp...( an ex Leo that died maybe 10 years ago ) for more info about alloy J-Frames concerning their use and durability. Some excellent info, especially from his " Shooter's Guide to Airweight J-Frames ". It and a few other manuscripts are still available from his widow, Mrs. Sandra Camp. He, like Sagbrush, shot the hell out of them. He was not a real fan of wadcutters but was not shooting them with some of the modern loadings. His website 'highpowersandhandguns" will get you to all of the information.

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like it has a diaper on. Old age incontinence? :-)

K
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
K
Mine is a 642. Shot alot. Can clean a steel plate rack against people shooting the semi autos. I did some trigger work to it years ago and it's slick as owl sh*t. Goes with me wherever.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
How the hell you shoot a DA with any accuracy?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by Biebs
Looks like it has a diaper on. Old age incontinence? :-)

Mission oriented modifications.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pretty sweet revolver Mackay. I bought a 3” heavy barrel model 60 when I was in the academy in 1985. Bobbed the hammer and put
Pachmayr grips on it. Shortly after, I bought a 2” (1 7/8”) 649 that I put a Tyler T grip on. I carried that 649 a bunch. Off duty and as a backup gun in uniform. It now has Hogue rubber grips and doesn’t get carried as much as my Glock 43. When I do carry it, it’s loaded with 135 grain +P Gold Dots and a speed strip in my pocket.

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 17,358 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,870
Posts18,537,848
Members74,050
Most Online20,796
2 hours ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.