Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mike[/quote] Having enough magazine length seems like the key factor to consider when putting a 6.5-284 together.[/quote]

Depends on what you're looking for.

The rifle involved in my article is an Ultra Light Arms Model 20, and when Melvin Forbes developed the ULA rifles the first one was a Model 20, so named because the action weighs 20 ounces--quite a bit less than a short 700 action, which goes around 35 ounces, nearly a pound heavier.

Melvin wanted to create the "ultimate mountain rifle," and chambered that first one for the .284 Winchester, because it gets quite a bit out of a short-action hunting rifle. But he also made the inside length of the magazines in Model 20s 3" long, so handloaders would have at least somewhat more flexibility than the industry-standard magazine, which runs at most 2.85" long. So this particular ULA's magazine allows cartridges somewhere between the 2.85" overall length allowed by some (not all) factory short-action magazines, and the 6.5 Norma's 82mm (3.228") industry-standard overall cartridge length.

Have also fooled with the 6.5-284 Norma before, and the difference in length doesn't allow any significant amount of velocity increase due to "extra" powder space, as some people theorize, due to the 4-to-1 Rule. But it does provide more flexibility in seating longer bullets to their most accurate OAL.

Oh, and the weight of the Ultra Light, with a 15.5 ounce scope mounted in ULA rings, is 6 pounds, 11 ounces--with a 24", #2 contour Douglas barrel, which I prefer in ULAs/NULAs, because they balance better for me. Which is one reason I acquired the 6.5-284, since most of my big game hunting (even at "semi-retired" age) involves considerable up-and-down hiking.

John

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by RevMike
Originally Posted by mathman
He built two CMs with match chambered barrels

I watched some video of his along this line a while back. I don't remember this part.

Unless I'm remembering wrong - which I could be - but I remember that he took the tuners off in order to allow the rifles/ammo to function (more or less) as is.

I believe those were a couple of low end Rem 700 barreled actions that they put into MDT Oryx chassis, put tuners on, et cetera for a series of experiments.

Last edited by mathman; 08/04/23. Reason: typo
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I believe those were a couple of low end Rem 700 barreled actions that they put into MDT Oryx chassis, put tuners on, et cetera for a series of experiments.

You're probably right; I'd have to watch it again. It was telling, though, that it seemed to throw a wrench in the oft-quoted, "The CM shoots any factory ammo accurately out of any factory rifle"...or something along those lines, the recently released Hornady podcast dealing with the CM being a pretty good case in point.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

You're probably right; I'd have to watch it again. It was telling, though, that it seemed to throw a wrench in the oft-quoted, "The CM shoots any factory ammo accurately out of any factory rifle"...or something along those lines, the recently released Hornady podcast dealing with the CM being a pretty good case in point.

A more realistic statement would be "Because of the good chamber/throat dimensions that are industry standard, you're more likely to find that a 6.5 CM rifle shoots a variety of ammo well than you are with a number of other cartridges."

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I keep hoping to acquire one of those uncommon Ruger #1s in 6.5-284. Uncommon meaning no one wanted one when they were new, but now they have vanished from the market smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

A more realistic statement would be "Because of the good chamber/throat dimensions that are industry standard, you're more likely to find that a 6.5 CM rifle shoots a variety of ammo well than you are with a number of other cartridges."

Bingo. Much more realistic.

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Having enough magazine length seems like the key factor to consider when putting a 6.5-284 together.

It's not a long action, but it is right at 3.1 inches.
3.1" will work. I don't like the 6.5-284 in a 2.8" SA, not with long bullets.

A number of years ago, I built this one on a Pre-64 M-70 that was a shot out .243 I picked up for $400, stock and barrel had been shortened. I bought it for the action. I swapped out parts to convert SA to LA, got a 26" Krieger fitted in 6.5-284. I fitted a Boyd classic, glassed, free floated and finished, sent it to Errol Case in MO for checkering. It's wearing a Z5 3.5-18x44, has a Jewell trigger.

It's an 8 twist, likes the 140 Berger Hunting over 48.8 RL-17 at around 3K FPS. I started out with Vv 165, popular at the time with LR target shooters. Vv 165 has accuracy nodes, whereas RL-17 not so much and is slightly faster. The best accuracy was with Vv 165 around 2,950 fps at the right node. RL-17 was nearly as accurate without nodes; I could inch up loads without groups changing that much. It'll shoot sub MOA at 400, sometimes half MOA.

I did try the 140 SST, but terminal performance seemed erratic. I understand that the later SST's are pretty good, probably not too unlike early vs. contemporary NBT's. Those SST's were (and probably still are) very accurate.

DF

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Probably the only rifle I owned and sold and wish
I had kept was a Ruger #1 sporter in 6.5-.284. I sold it and a couple others to buy my first NULA in 7-08. That rifle had a palm swell grip on the stock that did not fit my small hands and short fingers so I ended up selling it also. Sure wish I had kept the Ruger!

O
Campfire Member
Online Content
Campfire Member
O
Eileen,

I forgot my password on the rifles and recipes. How do I go about resetting it?

By the way, love the subscription to rifles and recipes. There is so much entertaining content that you can spend hours reading. It's like having another gun gack book available for e-reading when ever you have a connection. When I see a recipe that I want to try, I simply print the page it is written on to prevent having to find it again.

Thanks for everything!

Onerifle

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Uno Mas!

J. Sipp and Son, ( Justin Custom) 6.5 -284 Norma, Montana 1999 action.

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by pete53
had a dear friend beg to get my 6.5x284 bolt rifle i finally let him have it mostly because i hunt with a different cartridge in a Ruger #1 . i wished i would have built a 6.5x284 on a Ruger #1 years ago but never did, the 6.5x284 is a great accurate long range cartridge. good luck ,Pete53

Why a short round in a rifle that allows the longest of rounds unless a "collectable" #1 like the 308 Win USPS recently lost?

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by geedubya
Uno Mas!

J. Sipp and Son, ( Justin Custom) 6.5 -284 Norma, Montana 1999 action.

ya!

GWB

Nice rifle. Short 1999 action or long?

L
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Originally Posted by onerifle
Eileen,

I forgot my password on the rifles and recipes. How do I go about resetting it?

By the way, love the subscription to rifles and recipes. There is so much entertaining content that you can spend hours reading. It's like having another gun gack book available for e-reading when ever you have a connection. When I see a recipe that I want to try, I simply print the page it is written on to prevent having to find it again.

Thanks for everything!

Onerifle
Send me an email at riflesandrecipesgmail.com and I'll fix that for you.
Eileen

On appetites: "If I had to wait until I was hungry to eat, I'd never eat."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Might I ask a possibly dumb question: with the advent of the 6.5 PRC, what is the advantage of a 6.5x284? I'm not coming from any particular viewpoint but it seems the case capacity would be about the same. The PRC would have a larger case head and body which might mean 1 less in the mag box. Other advantages of a 6.5x284?

Thanks.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
my gunsmith/friend (RIP) had a 6mm-284 Winchester about 30ish years ago. i'm not going guess the action, but it had a 26" Douglas heavy barrel on it. he showed me 1/4" and under groups at 100 yards that made me cry. 87gr Hornady? SP going at 3400fps+/- were medicine for deer.

he would have loved the 6.5-284.

Originally Posted by bwinters
Might I ask a possibly dumb question: with the advent of the 6.5 PRC, what is the advantage of a 6.5x284? I'm not coming from any particular viewpoint but it seems the case capacity would be about the same. The PRC would have a larger case head and body which might mean 1 less in the mag box. Other advantages of a 6.5x284?

Thanks.

probably the reason why anything bigger/smaller than the 6.5x55 was needed? i guess?

Last edited by tdoyka; 08/05/23.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by bwinters

Thanks.

Actually, the powder capacity of the 6.5-284 is a little less than the PRC's--about 57 grains versus 61 grains when the same bullet is seated to the same overall length. The difference in potential velocity isn't as much, due to the 4-to-1 Rule, and amounts to around 40 fps with 140-grain bullets.

The ULA holds three in the magazine, and so does my 6.5 PRC, built on a short-magnum 700 action by Charlie Sisk.

In my experience it's somewhat easier to find 6.5-284 brass (you can even make the old-fashioned way, by necking down .284 cases! And it's easier to find suitable actions.

Last edited by Mule Deer; 08/05/23.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Unfortunately .284 Win brass is almost impossible to find these days. One of the factors in the F class crowd turning to the PRC case based wildcats.

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had two rifles in 6.5x284, both McMillan/Tubb 2000… Barrel burning slut of a chambering. Both retired after 700 rds, but I did manage a win with it…..

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The big one! Congrats 👍

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Service rifle shooter playing games and got lucky!

When people face the possibility of freezing or starving there is little chance they are going to listen to unfounded claims of climate doomsday from a bunch of ultra-rich yacht sailing private jet-setting carbon-spewing hypocrite elites
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

202 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 30 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,225 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,456
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.