Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 4 antelope hunts for sale for August 26-28th. They're at my family's private 6000 acre ranch in remote northeast New Mexico.

These are unguided hunts and are $2500 per hunter.

We have a lot of antelope. I shot this photo yesterday on our place. These are good bucks but not great.

Several members of the Fire have hunted with us previously and one is returning this year for the third time.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pm sent

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Pm incoming

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
What's the nearest mappable city?

Medics bury their mistakes..
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Do you have vouchers?

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I can vouch for the number of antelope on and around the property. I went and did this hunt 4 years ago, I think. Had a great time. It's a nice set up and a great time. If I didn't have a Nebraska antelope tag for this fall, I'd like to go back and do it again.

Adam

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by redleg733
I can vouch for the number of antelope on and around the property. I went and did this hunt 4 years ago, I think. Had a great time. It's a nice set up and a great time. If I didn't have a Nebraska antelope tag for this fall, I'd like to go back and do it again.

Adam

Adam,
How far are typical shots? My son shoots a 357 Maximum rifle really well but so far he has only shot to 100yds. I trust it to do it's job out to 200yds. I'm trying to determine if I should start him on my Howa 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I understand the unguided...is lodging provided for the 2500 or where does one lodge themselves at? Never hunted NM so what licensing is required for non residents?

Thanks!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Pm sent

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I got a fifth wheel and I bet it's in the Springer/Clayton area. I think I'm in but waiting on a reply.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I’m also waiting for a reply. I’m in Raton that week to hunt elk. Would be simple to do.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Nice. It's only about 4 hours from me. Be a good time.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
tag

Gun Owners of America & NRA Life Member
https://www.facebook.com/BirdDogBunkhouse57442/
"There are a hundred things that can happen at long range and only one of them is good"
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Too short of notice for me, but if this is available for 2024 I'm in!

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Dinny
Originally Posted by redleg733

Adam

Adam,
How far are typical shots? My son shoots a 357 Maximum rifle really well but so far he has only shot to 100yds. I trust it to do it's job out to 200yds. I'm trying to determine if I should start him on my Howa 6.5 Grendel.

Thanks, Dinny

Dinny,

I shot mine around 150 yards, and I'd guess that is kind of a short range shot there on Ted's ranch. Ted can and probably will provide more info. I certainly don't want to speak for him, the property, or sound like I have a vast amount of knowledge of the area. When I shot mine, I was actually getting up from a glassing and going to make a move on some that were 500+ yards away. As I stood up to grab my pack, this goat was standing behind me and at a slightly higher elevation, probably watching the same goats I was. I had been sitting with my back against a large rock, so he wouldn't have seen me. I sat back down, turned around to take aim and shoot. I don't have must "western" experience, or much experience with 300+yard shots, so I wasn't going to pass on a clean 150 yarder smile My buddy Brian (misplacedinnebraska here on the forum) shot his around 300 yards, I think, if I remember right. In the experience I had there we saw lots of Antelope. I'd say, If you can shoot 250-300, you're success rate will be very high. If you can shoot 300-500, it's probably about a guarantee. Brian and I weren't holding out for anything huge. We're both meat hunters. We both did see some BIG bucks on the place.

Ted was a great host and it was a pleasure to meet him and to get to share a drink and a meal. There were 4 hunters total when I went. He gave each of the hunters there a hand drawn map of the ranch and some great advice on how to hunt each of the pastures/areas. Each of the pastures is over 1000 acres. Much bigger and so much more wide open than the eastern end of Nebraska I was used to hunting. By lunch time of the second day, all of us had tagged out. The other 2 hunters left by mid afternoon on the second day. Brian and I stuck around that evening and night to grill a nice dinner and have a cold drink. We got to watch an amazing storm roll in and across the high desert. It was a great experience.

I do want to get back there again and do this hunt again. Hopefully in another year or two when my son can go and hunt too.

I'd be happy to answer more questions for anyone. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like.

Thanks again Ted for a great time!

Adam

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I've hunted this ranch many times over the years and will vouch for it being a great hunt. NE New Mexico has some big Pronghorn and this ranch will hold a lot of animals. I recommend this hunt without reservation.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
I have not hunted this ranch, but I've hunted private land NM twice before, a little East of Raton. From what I've seen online the non res license are 283.00 this year and you will be charged a conservation fee of about 25.00 if memory serves. It states right on the license to have written permission to hunt on the private ranch, so make sure you have that. The ranch that I was on last year didn't have all their land in one area, it was checkerboarded the ranch that was next to it sold all of their landowner permits to an outfitter and they were going for 3500.00. They can be a long shot, my first one was at 409 and the last one was right at 200. I shot both mine with a .270. They are definitely a blast to hunt. Just checked my statement from last year, my license was 340.00.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
We’re halfway between Clayton and Raton. Lodging is available in either town.

Shots start at about 100 yards typically and can range out quite far. It’s very open country.

Several folks seem confused about it works, but this is private land so it’s simple: you pay the trespass fee and buy a tag from New Mexico. There is no draw required.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Cliff!

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thanks Adam, you nailed it with your posts.

Shots can be long. Folks need to be able to reliably hit a volleyball-sized target from field positions at 300-400.

Glad you have a Nebraska tag this year!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

421 members (163bc, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 39 invisible), 1,897 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,635
Posts18,493,138
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.