Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Considering getting a pair of boots and have read great things about these:

[url=http://www.upnorthoutdoors.com/russell/boots_safari/boots_safari.html][/url]

Any opinions on these, and if you like them (or one of their line) what extras should I get on them? They have a lot of options, including different soles, etc.

I will be hunting plains game in Namibia, and doing some hunting/hiking all over Florida. Perhaps eventually get to RSA or Botswana.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have two pair( company supplied), great boots but spendy for the value. I would buy something off the shelf and rather use the cash for more trophy fees. Why limit the hunting on a hunting trip?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I have two pair( company supplied), great boots but spendy for the value. I would buy something off the shelf and rather use the cash for more trophy fees. Why limit the hunting on a hunting trip?

My issue is this - my feet hate cheap shoes, and so far the only two pairs of shoes that don't hurt my feet are a pair of $80 open sandals (made by a Redwing subsidiary) and my Birkenstock Birkie Professionals (Clogs) that I wear at the hospital.

If I could wear my open sandals on safari I would, but can't - my feet would burn up (I'm fair skinned) and knowing me I'd get bitten by every bug and punctured by thorns.

The thought of getting a custom-made boot for Africa intrigues me and I see a lot of people rave about them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you hunt and hike in now? This cannot be your first boot experience? Lightweight upland boots work great, the Brownings are nice, as are redwings uplanders, and even the Cabales light hikers.

Boots pushing 400 bucks for a trip to Africa are great, I love mine, but the truth of the matter is they are actually not really any better then boots I have paid a fraction of the price for. One pair is many years and hundreds of miles old now. From what I can see they will be around for a very long time to come too. My Gordons, Danners, and Vasque sundowners have also lasted just about as long.

They are extrememly well made, and with top of the line materials. As they should be for the price! If your heart is set on them as a priority then it's your decision. For my money if I were trying to gather the cash for a great and affordable PG hunt, I would be using converse allstars and blue jeans so I could plan on shooting more animals. I would be going to hunt first and foremost, not at all worried about the "style" points of Russells, or any other sterio typical safari clothing.

There are plenty of guys using Russells, but most are also spending a big chunk of cash on the hunt, not trying to scrimp and save every penny for the trip.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You might want to try Redwing softpaws. Kangaroo leather with a very soft sole and uninsulated. I have a pair that is very comfortable and light and has seen a lot of african rock and thorn. Between these and my cross country running shoes covered by short gaters ( a very underused and under appreciated combo,BTW) I have always felt well shod.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Russell Chukkas or similar are probably all you need if you can find a comfortable fit. Only exteded trip or really rough country would require more. Some people get by in Clark's Desert boots (IIRC) which is close to wearing nothing but still enough.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
At one time all of my foot gear was made by Russell: everyday shoes, nursing shoes, cold weather hunting(14" high country hunters), and warm weather hunting boots(10" Emperials). I am retired from nursing now and only have the two pair of hunting boots. Their quality and service are excellent, but I would prefer additional choices of toe style other than moccasin.
That said, my feet are very hard to fit. If off the rack shoes didn't hurt my feet I would not have gone completely with the Russells. However, with their large selection and custom fitting I think you will be happy with your boots for Africa.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
In my estimate, Russell makes the best hunting boots that you can possibly select for African hunting, and they can easily be resoled and rebuilt very inexpensively by Russell, so they'll last for a lifetime if you take care of them. No off-the shelf boot can possibly compare in terms of fit, quality materials, quality construction or design.

In fact, my favorite elk hunting boots are made by Russell, and I wear various Russell's just about every day of my life and I have for many years. I've got a pair of daily-wear Russell Imperials that are ready for their third set of soles, but otherwise they're as good as new. You talk about getting your money's worth out of a pair of boots.............

Browning used to have a slogan that went, "the best costs the least in the long run", and that's definitely true of Russell boots. I figure if I can't afford a top-notch pair of boots and I have to start cutting corners is such a basic, fundamental area such as that, then I really can't afford to hunt in Africa at all. I've got 2 pairs of Russell's that I've used on a number of safaris, and they're going over again next year. I'm not even close to wearing them out, and they fit like a glove.

One set is the regular 'Safari PH' version, and the other is the 'Mountain PH version'. Both are great, but the 'Mountain PH' is my day-in and day-out favorite. However, since the 'Safari PH' is such a very light boot, it stows easily in the carry-on, and it works perfectly in really hot weather, or as a spare boot.

Russell is the best footwear investment you'll even make, and they guarantee fit..........

AD

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I got a pair of Russel boots not too long ago that I was measured for at the last SCI convention (it took a long time to get them). They are pricey but worth it in my opinion. I'll be buying more Russel foot ware.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

Take a look at the Lowa Desert Seeker. It's a desert version of a combat boot - very light,roomy in the toe box, and with a very quiet sole. Can be found for about $120. These plus a pair of Asolo backpacking boots from REI are what I'll be taking next Spring.

Maryland - Where the criminals are the government.
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I am a big fan of Russell's I have a pair of imperials, Snake Boots and PHs, I love the custom fit and I plan on buying another pair prior to my trip to the dark continent this summer. My father also has a pair of Russell imperials that he has had since 1966 and they are very much as servicable today as they where 40 years ago.

[Linked Image]
M
msc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I have a pair of Safari PH boots with the crepe sole and absolutely love them. Very quiet and very comfortable. They were perfect in Moz last summer but a more aggressive tred would be needed if hunting in an area that had much up and down.
PS If you want them for the 2008 season you better decide ...after the shows they book up very quickly.

Last edited by msc; 12/13/07.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know opinions vary here but I think in hunting a couple of things are paramount in importance: footwear and optics. Of course in DG hunting we'd add a few other items.

But adhering to the obove opinion, I've two pairs of Russells; one, a pair of bird hunting boots that fit like gloves and are going on ten+ years and also a pair of PHs which I did wear in Namibia this past season. I could walk all day in them and highly recommend them but only with the crepe sole. I've tried the thinner, harder type sole at first and they weren't as comfortable. I returned them for the crepe sole and they are pure pleasure.

Gdv

Last edited by goodnews; 12/13/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
John,

If your feet are tough to fit (as it appears they are since you wrote that it is practically impossible to find shoes that do not hurt your feet), then custom is definitely the way to go.

I have very narrow heels, so it is tough to find shoes/boots that do not slip in the heels (which obviously is not a good thing if you are on any kind of steep slope). Earlier this year I ordered a pair of Russell High Country Hunter boots that I wore for a week in Arizona this fall, and I can say I am very pleased with how they fit. That pair of boots is not light, but I can honestly say I did not notice the weight when I was hiking because they fit so well.

If you have a particular problem with shoe/boot fit, you might mention it so people who have a similar issue can chime in with boots that have worked for them. Otherwise, I believe Russell boots would be a sound investment, particularly when you look at the incremental amount more they cost than a pair of boots that would not fit (and would hurt your feet).

J
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
J
I currently have been trying to get back into my Vasque hiking boots, but honestly they were purchased 10 years ago up in the mountains of TN for hiking up there. They are stiff, hard, gore-texed, heavy. They are great for MOUNTAIN hiking, but I think my feet may have grown a little since then and so now they feel a bit tight. Add to that they are NOISY as all hell and creak and groan.

However, I'm starting to swing back towards JJs thinking. I've actually begun seeing a lot of negative things about Russell lately (mostly all stemming from recent purchases people have made.) Perhaps the old-style craftsmanship and attention to detail is fading with the retirements of the craftsmen they had in their heyday. Or they can't keep up with the orders and are cutting corners. Regardless, I am going to start trying out various makers and styles both around home and the internet. If I end up spending $100 on return shipping of shoes and boots that don't fit, to find one that finally will for $100 or less, I'm still saving a ton of money in the long run.

I thought I was a 12D, but recently measured my feet and it looks like I'm 12.5D-13D - so I'll start trying out 13Ds with various socks and seeing how they work out.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I'm going to give some Cabelas Rimrocks, New Balance hiking shoes, and Irish Setters (Danner) a try. I have some Dunham sandals (bought by Falcon, who was then bought by Hi-Tec) - they are simply amazing. Perhaps if I can find some boots made by the same company, I might finally get some that fit right and aren't so noisy.

Originally Posted by JJHACK
What do you hunt and hike in now? This cannot be your first boot experience? Lightweight upland boots work great, the Brownings are nice, as are redwings uplanders, and even the Cabales light hikers.

Boots pushing 400 bucks for a trip to Africa are great, I love mine, but the truth of the matter is they are actually not really any better then boots I have paid a fraction of the price for. One pair is many years and hundreds of miles old now. From what I can see they will be around for a very long time to come too. My Gordons, Danners, and Vasque sundowners have also lasted just about as long.

They are extrememly well made, and with top of the line materials. As they should be for the price! If your heart is set on them as a priority then it's your decision. For my money if I were trying to gather the cash for a great and affordable PG hunt, I would be using converse allstars and blue jeans so I could plan on shooting more animals. I would be going to hunt first and foremost, not at all worried about the "style" points of Russells, or any other sterio typical safari clothing.

There are plenty of guys using Russells, but most are also spending a big chunk of cash on the hunt, not trying to scrimp and save every penny for the trip.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I have a boot collection that I continue to add to. These are the ones I took to Namibia and Zim this year. Keen - very light.

http://www.rei.com/product/741490

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I have a pair of Russells that I like very much but they aren't worth the money in my opinion. I have pretty normal feet and they can be happy in lots of boots.

Africa does not seem to require heavy duty boots. At least not the parts of Namibia or South Africa that I've been to. A good stiff sole is a good thing as there will be rocky areas, but nothing more is really needed.

Actually, Birkies with socks might be a good deal if you are good at avoiding thorns. I used to hike in Tevas in AZ and that wasn't too bad most of the time. But a closed toe boot does have advantages.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by BrentD

Actually, Birkies with socks might be a good deal if you are good at avoiding thorns.

Where you went in RSA must have different species of grass seeds than central Namibia--seeds jabbing my ankles at the dinner table were bad enough, I can't imagine the misery of that around the whole foot!

I bought a pair of Russell Mountain Safari PHs--they seemed OK at first but soon became apparent that nothing I could do would stop the heels slipping. Sold them here on the Fire...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You know, I never had grass seed issues in Namibia either. I expected them but nope. Never happened.

Another good boot that lots of folks in Namibia like is a sealskin boot made there. They are light, and they have a velcro closure on the top that would keep out the pesky seeds if you get into them. A friend of mine bought a pair and brought them home for his favorite pheasant and deer hunting boots now.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Russell's both for my hunting boots and casual wear shoes. Very comfortable and long-lasting. I have a pair of walking shoes that are on their third sole. Love them. I also have a pair of Courteney Selous that I had made in Bulawayo and they are also very comfortable and durable. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 160user, 257 roberts, 10Glocks, 2UP, 30 invisible), 1,732 guests, and 1,138 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,296
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.