Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Hello all, I recently purchased a Simson drilling made in the late 70’s. It is chambered for 12 gauge 2-3/4” on top and 6.5x57R on bottom.

During the past few range sessions, I’m getting groups that vertically string about 2 to 3 inches (shot at 50 yds) with several different powder and bullet weight combinations. For optics, I’m using a new Leupold mk3 mounted with EAW swing mounts.

Have any of you guys had this issue while shooting drillings? I’m wondering if this is just the accuracy I can expect from a drilling, or maybe I’m shooting to fast and the heat is causing the stringing? Any incite on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience it could very well be not waiting long enough between shots--though newer drillings that don't have the barrels soldered together don't necessarily need such a "cool down."

Does yours have soldered-together barrels?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Yes, mine has traditionally soldered barrels. I also remember many of the groups, while still vertically stacked, often had two impacts very close to each other, and the third 2 to 3 inches straight up or down.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most traditional soldered barrel drillings walk up and to one side or the other as they warm up. A few seem to just walk up. The rifle barrel "bellies" as it warms, while being held in place on the rifle barrel top side by the shotgun barrels.

I take the barrels off the gun and forend off, then I spray them with starting fluid to cool them if I have to get things done in a hurry. Two closely timed shots can warm up the barrels enough to walk a third shot 1 1/2" to 3". Taking the gun apart to let the barrels cool enough is the secret of finding out a drilling's true accuracy. wink

I sometimes shoot two shots each on successive mornings. But, one shot from a completely cooled gun five times is the acid test, IMO.

Last edited by luv2safari; 08/07/23.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Thanks for your insight, I will definitely try taking the gun apart for cooling during my next range session! How do you determine if the barrels are completely cool? Do you go by elapsed time, or just touch?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I go by touch. I usually take a few rifles with me and shoot the drilling once then play with the others and then go back to the drilling. When your hunting with a drilling the only shot that counts is the first one.

They can be quite accurate.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Last edited by erich; 08/08/23.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
V
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
V
Wow, that’s some great accuracy! Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by vanbuzen9
Thanks for your insight, I will definitely try taking the gun apart for cooling during my next range session! How do you determine if the barrels are completely cool? Do you go by elapsed time, or just touch?

Going by touch works pretty well.

erich's group above would be a Classic drilling group if the first shot is the low one, second the middle, and third the top. He knows his drillings and loads for them properly.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The three most intelligent people (Mule Deer, luv2safari, and erich) on this subject have already chimed in, they have forgotten more about drillings than most people will ever know. I have learned much about my BBF (20 gauge over 6.5x52r/25-35win) from them and my experience is the same as yours. The lower rifle barrel heats up after 3 quick shots and impact rises.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 160user, 1Longbow, 21, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,621 guests, and 1,195 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,817
Posts18,477,689
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.