Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
My wife favors Jim Beam Black Label, which at one point was rated Best Bourbon in some competition. She also likes Four Roses.

I don't care for bourbon, so can't offer any personal tips.
Black isn’t bad but I prefer regular Jim beam over it.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by gunchamp
Originally Posted by Gypsy_Wind
Evan Williams Single barrel is good and still reasonably priced. Elijah Craig small batch is in that category as well.

Wheated bourbons like Makers and Weller make good sipping varieties also.
Evan single is one of my all time favorites, but i have not seen it on a shelf for a couple years now. I believe its been discontinued and replaced with evan small batch. Someone please correct me if im wrong
You're somewhat wrong. I asked the liquor manager at my local Wood-mart about it a couple months back. It's only available at the distillery. He wasn't sure why they decided to do this. Single barrel always sold well.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old Crow.

It all taste about the same once mixed with some Dr. Pepper or your mix of choice. If you can tell a difference with your first drink you won’t by your third.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I used to drink mixed drinks, coke, sprite, with seagrams 7 or any other paint thinner. These days spending $40-50 and being able to enjoy the flavor of the whiskey is a big deal for me. I have spent more and spent less, but around $40-60, it’s pretty decent. In my opinion Jim Beam, Jack Daniels, 4 Roses, any blended whiskey even crown Royal, is just paint thinner or lighter fluid. Of course exceptions can be made, if you just had a Bud Light and need something to cleanse your palate, Wild Turkey is “ok”.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by trplem
Evan Williams Single barrel is good and still reasonably priced. Elijah Craig small batch is in that category as well.

Evan single is one of my all time favorites, but i have not seen it on a shelf for a couple years now. I believe its been discontinued and replaced with evan small batch. Someone please correct me if im wrong
You're somewhat wrong. I asked the liquor manager at my local Wood-mart about it a couple months back. It's only available at the distillery. He wasn't sure why they decided to do this. Single barrel always sold well.
Damn, makes sense why i havent seen it in so long. I still have half a dozen bottles stashed, but its getting harder to not drink them lol

IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One other nomination is Old Grandad Bonded

“When Tyranny becomes Law, Rebellion becomes Duty”

Colossians 3:17 (New King James Version)
"And whatever you do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through Him."
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by trplem

Damn, makes sense why i havent seen it in so long. I still have half a dozen bottles stashed, but its getting harder to not drink them lol

I am seeing Evans Williams single Barrel at all the local liquor stores. Price jumped up on it. Used to be $30ish but I am now seeing it at $50ish.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Originally Posted by 1911a1
My favorite is Weller. Would love to try Weller 12 year or Antique

I have a Weller 12 open right now and honestly the deeper I get into it, the better it gets.

Used to be able to get the Weller 12 regularly, up until a few years ago. The 12 is my favorite and the Antique is my least favorite. Sipping on a Weller Barrel Proof (blue label) lately and have plenty of the Special Reserve (green label) on hand. Easier to find some of these in Texas and Ohio, then it is here in Kentucky.

Missed out on Stagg Jr, which is really good, by a few minutes the other day and had to settle for a Blanton’s at retail as a consolation. The Local Liquor Barn will out out releases at random so timing is everything.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by scoony
Originally Posted by BKinSD
Originally Posted by 1911a1
My favorite is Weller. Would love to try Weller 12 year or Antique

I have a Weller 12 open right now and honestly the deeper I get into it, the better it gets.

Used to be able to get the Weller 12 regularly, up until a few years ago. The 12 is my favorite and the Antique is my least favorite. Sipping on a Weller Barrel Proof (blue label) lately and have plenty of the Special Reserve (green label) on hand. Easier to find some of these in Texas and Ohio, then it is here in Kentucky.

Missed out on Stagg Jr, which is really good, by a few minutes the other day and had to settle for a Blanton’s at retail as a consolation. The Local Liquor Barn will out out releases at random so timing is everything.

How long have you been drinking these two? I ask because the Antique you can buy these days isn't up to the Antique of years gone by when it actually had some age on it.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have had it in the older bottles, but having done a few blind taste tests with family, I always end up rating them 12, special reserve, then Antique. I have an uncracked antique in the bunker. Probably need to do another test soon just to make sure.

Since others mentioned Jim Beam, if you can find the Jim Beam single barrel, usually runs 28-32 and is one that I think is a very solid bourbon. Better than the black or their other varieties of Jim Beam.

IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
This vintage?

[Linked Image from continentalws.com]

IKE Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm a longtime scotch drinker and have just recently started trying bourbon.....tried Larceny first and didn't much care for it but I really like Basil Hayden neat.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C

Great advice IME. EW for mixing, EW bottle in bond on sale for cheaper good, EC is a very underrated inexpensive bourbon. No fancy names, but 100% enjoyable for a wide audience and cheap.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by scoony
I am seeing Evans Williams single Barrel at all the local liquor stores. Price jumped up on it. Used to be $30ish but I am now seeing it at $50ish.

Woa. Dayum. gotta check near me. I guess "Word got out" lol. $30 buy. $50 pass. imo

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Wild Turkey is a favorite of mine. - Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Had a shot of Evans BIB 101 in the store a few days ago. very clean, not heavy. Some bourbons to me are syrupy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Basil Hayden's is being poured in my house right now. When it's gone I'll get some Blade & Bow.

Medics bury their mistakes..
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Irving D: Save your money - don't buy hard liquor - spend that money on guns and ammunition.
None of your precious brain cells (which DO NOT rejuvenate themselves!) will be destroyed by abstaining from imbibing the demons rum!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Irving D: Save your money - don't buy hard liquor - spend that money on guns and ammunition.
None of your precious brain cells (which DO NOT rejuvenate themselves!) will be destroyed by abstaining from imbibing the demons rum!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Demon's rum ? The subject is bourbon.

Sheesh !

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wyoming Whiskey, Small Batch

"I didn't realize we had so many snipers in this country." by J23
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (16penny, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 13 invisible), 1,613 guests, and 749 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,759
Posts18,514,959
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.