Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-...nited-States-of-America-for-personal-con

Unless you've got the proper permits indicated above in The link above, if US customs finds it when you come in it will be confiscated and you might face a fine.

The couple of times I've seen guys have it confiscated that was all that happened along with an ass chewing from the customs agent.

Last edited by M3taco; 08/08/23.
GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've only come across one PH, a relatively young guy, who would dive as deep as you wanted to into gun gack.

The other's main focus centered on using what worked to get things done.

It's you and the bullet, and all the rest is secondary.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
30-06 is very popular with locals in Africa, as illustrated by widely available ammunition. My guide used 7x57 for backup to my 7m RM, so 30-06 is more than capable up thru kudu.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sure you're convinced by now, but to chime in, I used (almost) the same rifle on most the same animals you mention including Kudu (mine was a Tikka superlite 30-06). I was shooting 150 Etips and worked perfectly on everything I shot, just like it does here. If I did it over, the only thing I'd probably change is taking my Montana in 308 instead, just because I like it a -little- bit more than the Tikka.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used camp rifles on my 5 safaris in 22-250 (Springbok), .243, 30-06, and .375 H&H. So far I have not been charged a rental fee or for the ammo. The 30-06 did a great job on plains game from Blesbok up. The .243 did an outstanding job on a Red Hartebeest. African animals aren't bulletproof as long as shot placement is good. I would stick to 30-06 or larger in heavy bush.

DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member
IC B2

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
more very useful thoughts and information yes i will stick with the 30-06 Tikka ,6 x Leupold , my handloads 180 gr. Nosler Partitions because i have plenty.my good friend who has been to Africa a few times is taking his 340 Weatherby mag. and a 223 , not sure on the other two`s rifles ? thanks again Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I'm off to RSA in 2025. My outfitter said to bring my 30-06 and my 7-08 as my other. Mirrors all the advice in this string. I should have.come here first. 🙃

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by M3taco
https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/Can-...nited-States-of-America-for-personal-con

Unless you've got the proper permits indicated above in The link above, if US customs finds it when you come in it will be confiscated and you might face a fine.

The couple of times I've seen guys have it confiscated that was all that happened along with an ass chewing from the customs agent.

Generally U.S. Customs uses beagles to sniff out illegal meat on flights from Africa coming into U.S. Or at least they have on the trips I've made. I suspect this is because beagles have great noses, but are also well-behaved around lots of people, and not big enough to panic other incoming passengers.

Anyway, they are known among some incoming passengers (especially those living in Africa who love their dry meat) as "biltong beagles."

In the days before "biltong beagles" I did smuggle in some buffalo biltong inside my hunting boots....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by pete53
more very useful thoughts and information yes i will stick with the 30-06 Tikka ,6 x Leupold , my handloads 180 gr. Nosler Partitions because i have plenty.my good friend who has been to Africa a few times is taking his 340 Weatherby mag. and a 223 , not sure on the other two`s rifles ? thanks again Pete53

another question : will this 6x power scope be ok ? or should i use a 1x5 Leupold ? i have both ?

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

another question : will this 6x power scope be ok ? or should i use a 1x5 Leupold ? i have both ?

My FN wore a 3.5-10X Leupold and it was fine.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
My goodness. I have never had significant problems in the 23+ trips I have made.

I do my own paperwork for my rifles. No problems.

I usually take one rifle. If your rifle isn’t reliable enough to fire 40 rounds in 10-14 days you need a different rifle. I use common cartridges. Nothing fancy.

An extra scope and extra screws are nice but I have never had to use them. Incidentally the Africans love Leupold.

Two rifles are much more hassle than one primarily because of weight and volume.

Occasionally a bag shows up a day late but the airlines deliver it to you in RSA or Namibia. With airline apps that monitor the status of your bags that isn’t much of an issue.

I always use Patrick Wright for tickets and his staff guides me thru paperwork.

“Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away”.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Posted by Brad.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is valuable background information.
It would appear that the pre-64 Model 70s in 30-06 will stay home while an older scarred custom Mauser M-98
will be making the trip. The Mauser is from the early 60s and is chambered in 30-06 Ackley Improved, but
it chambers and shoots 30-06 standard cartridges as designed.

Definitely Noslers and Swift 180 gr A-Frames. Along with an extra Leupold scope -readily attachable.
Or just maybe bring along the worn other Model 70 as a backup rifle-same caliber, almost. Decisions.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pete & Fuller - You both might be overthinking this a little. Take whichever rifle you are more comfortable with and can shoot the best. I've never needed a backup rifle or scope in the 30 years I have been hunting in Africa (I leave tomorrow for two months). It's always good to plan for every possibility, however, your PH should be prepared for any challenges that come your way with firearms and scopes. So grab your best rifle and don't sweat the details.

FWIW

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
^
^
^
^
^
^
^
This right here is the answer

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E

Keep the Leupold 6x on your .30/06 and go hunt in Africa.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A word on variable power scopes and other field gadgets. Clients tend to get fidgety with variable power scopes, binos, range finders, etc when they should be on the sticks (if needed) pulling the trigger. If you have a variable power scope, set it for 6Xish and don't mess with it. Most of your shots will be within 150 yards.

The odd time you find yourself in a salt pan with zero cover, then you have time to crank up the power and contemplate bullet drop and wind. Pretty easy to find yourself with a 300+ yard shot in those conditions. Then there are the Vaal rhebuck shots; those can get quite challenging.

Of course dangerous game is another discussion...

Last edited by STRSWilson; 08/09/23.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I’ve taken 3-9, 4-12 and 1.5-5 scopes over there at various times. The only reason I took one as powerful as the 4-12 was the 3.5-10 on my 8 mag went TU about the second to last time I shot the rifle before leaving. The only reason I took a rifle as powerful as the 8mag was because one of my intended animals that trip was an eland. I generally leave my scopes set at 5-6x. If we go into thick cover I’ll turn it down. If a “ long” shot is required there will almost always be time to crank up the X if needed…. But if I recall the longest shot I’ve ever taken in Africa was a very nice zebra stallion shot with my 308 and 168Tsx at something around 280 yards. The 1.5-5 was on my 416 for buff and it was set at 5x for a 137yard shot. Actually 4 shots but that a different story! All of the shots killed the bull but as long as he wasn’t hooves up I kept shooting!

Your trusted 06 with a quality 6x will be perfect. Take the 1-5 as a backup if you’d like.

I’ve done rifle paperwork myself and have also used Riflepermits a few times. Don’t let the thought of transporting your own rifle be intimidating. It’ll take 20-30 min in the SAP’s office and a little paperwork and an inspection of your rifle. It’s all very simple.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Benbo
I’ve taken 3-9, 4-12 and 1.5-5 scopes over there at various times. The only reason I took one as powerful as the 4-12 was the 3.5-10 on my 8 mag went TU about the second to last time I shot the rifle before leaving. The only reason I took a rifle as powerful as the 8mag was because one of my intended animals that trip was an eland. I generally leave my scopes set at 5-6x. If we go into thick cover I’ll turn it down. If a “ long” shot is required there will almost always be time to crank up the X if needed…. But if I recall the longest shot I’ve ever taken in Africa was a very nice zebra stallion shot with my 308 and 168Tsx at something around 280 yards. The 1.5-5 was on my 416 for buff and it was set at 5x for a 137yard shot. Actually 4 shots but that a different story! All of the shots killed the bull but as long as he wasn’t hooves up I kept shooting!

Your trusted 06 with a quality 6x will be perfect. Take the 1-5 as a backup if you’d like.

I’ve done rifle paperwork myself and have also used Riflepermits a few times. Don’t let the thought of transporting your own rifle be intimidating. It’ll take 20-30 min in the SAP’s office and a little paperwork and an inspection of your rifle. It’s all very simple.
Good bud killed a nice buff two yrs ago. Like you, he put 4 fatal shots into one, shot until it dropped. Never got out of sight.

He shoots a PF M-70 .416 Rem. PH liked 400 SAF, so that’s what he used. So I reckon PF’s can cycle pretty fast; bud is a good shot.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Most of the PHs I have met in the Eastern Cape use the 270Win. Use good bullets and your 30-06 is more than enough.

P
pete53 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
on a different post on 24 hr.campfire starting to read about some problems with Tikka X3 bolts this is the rifle i was going to take ,that worries me some ? but since i have so many 7 mm bullets like 1,000`s i am considering to use my Remington 700 - 7 mm mag. that has been accurized , including a custom trigger and shoots extreme well ? >anyone else have trouble with a Tikka X3 bolt action ?

Page 4 of 17 1 2 3 4 5 6 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

205 members (358wsm, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 204guy, 16penny, 280shooter, 26 invisible), 2,150 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,892
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.