Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#18657272 08/10/23
Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Much has been written here concerning use of a handgun in personal defense and “gunfighting,” with emphasis on having “been there” like that’s a good thing. Former Sheriff Jim Wilson, who I always thought looked kind of prissy in his designer jeans, nevertheless brings this rather intelligent perspective to the subject:

“Just about everyone is familiar with the gunfight at the OK Corral. But I suspect that very few are aware of Billy Claiborne. Well, Mr. Claiborne was standing right there beside the other outlaws when the Earps arrived. The difference between Claiborne and his outlaw buddies was that Claiborne saw what was about to happen and got out of there before the shooting started. While Billy Clairborne’s lifestyle is not to be admired, he gets points for being alert and taking remedial action. A quick exit is often a really good, if not the best, option.”

“So, I would just suggest to you that we always try to look at the big picture when thinking about personal defense. That can help us recognize the difference between a time to fight and a time to leave. It can also help us formulate plans for dealing with events when we are in a place where carrying our gun is not an option. This sort of thing reminds us that what you have on your hip is not nearly as important as what you have between your ears.”

Every day’s an adventure.
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I agree with Wilson above. I used to follow him quite a bit but he got a bit prissy in his writings in addition to his jeans so I dont anymore. He has a valid point about being alert, and avoid every having to be there. The hassle involved with even just pulling a gun and getting involved with the police, being sued, or whatever is not something anyone should hope to experience

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VERY good point!

Like the boy scout motto: "be prepared"

Virgil B.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Yep, cowards will live forever.

A man that will desert his friends will desert his family, country, GOD!

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by skitish
Not necessarily. Billy Claiborne lived little more than another year before he was shot and killed in self defense by Frank Leslie, saying “Don't shoot again, I am killed.” He really shoulda been somewhere else instead of trying to shoot Leslie from ambush while drunk.

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Exchipy
“Just about everyone is familiar with the gunfight at the OK Corral. But I suspect that very few are aware of Billy Claiborne. Well, Mr. Claiborne was standing right there beside the other outlaws when the Earps arrived. The difference between Claiborne and his outlaw buddies was that Claiborne saw what was about to happen and got out of there before the shooting started. While Billy Clairborne’s lifestyle is not to be admired, he gets points for being alert and taking remedial action. A quick exit is often a really good, if not the best, option.”

I agree with this to the extent that, if you are a dumbass criminal and the law or a law abiding, armed citizen arrives, then get the hell out of there and live to be a scumbag another day. But, LE can't or at least shouldn't. And as a law abiding armed citizen, if my loved ones or an innocent is in danger, I won't be running away.

“So, I would just suggest to you that we always try to look at the big picture when thinking about personal defense. That can help us recognize the difference between a time to fight and a time to leave. It can also help us formulate plans for dealing with events when we are in a place where carrying our gun is not an option. This sort of thing reminds us that what you have on your hip is not nearly as important as what you have between your ears.”

This qualifies as a "no [bleep] Sherlock" statement.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
SA. Situational Awareness.

In other words, have your head in the game, Jeff Cooper's condition Yellow, keep your head on a swivel, etc, etc.

Situational awareness gives one time to assess, decide, act.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by hikerbum
I agree with Wilson above. I used to follow him quite a bit but he got a bit prissy in his writings in addition to his jeans so I dont anymore. He has a valid point about being alert, and avoid every having to be there. The hassle involved with even just pulling a gun and getting involved with the police, being sued, or whatever is not something anyone should hope to experience
When Chekov was killed by an Earp, the Enterprise landing party knew that the outcome wasn't fixed, i.e., they could change it, and weren't destined to be killed by the Earps. They knew because one of them (Spock, perhaps, or maybe Kirk) remembered that Billy Claiborne survived the gunfight at the OK Corral, and Chekov was occupying the role of Billy Claiborne, yet lay dead by the gun of Morgan Earp.

[Linked Image]

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
… Billy Claiborne survived the gunfight at the OK Corral, …
If Billy Clairborne was in fact unarmed when the Erps arrived at the OK Corral and therefore got himself quickly out of there before the shooting started in earnest, it’s kind of a stretch to describe him as having survived the gunfight.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
… Billy Claiborne survived the gunfight at the OK Corral, …
If Billy Clairborne was in fact unarmed when the Erps arrived at the OK Corral and therefore got himself quickly out of there before the shooting started in earnest, it’s kind of a stretch to describe him as having survived the gunfight.
Well, he was part of the Clanton Gang, was there, alive, and well, before, and after it was over. I think that's all Spock (or was it Kirk) meant.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

In other words, have your head in the game, Jeff Cooper's condition Yellow, keep your head on a swivel, etc, etc.

Including getting your family out of there. Leaving before trouble starts does not require abandoning them .. even less if you stay more alert, more aware of what might be developing.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perhaps Billy had perused a copy of Sun Tzu when picking up his shirts at the Chinese laundry.

“The wise warrior avoids the battle.”
― Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Perhaps Billy had perused a copy of Sun Tzu when picking up his shirts at the Chinese laundry.

Exchipy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Billy shoulda remembered that when he tried to ambush Frank Leslie coming out of the Oriental Saloon, but missed ‘cause he was too drunk. Frank didn’t miss.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
It seems a wise and reasonable response. But I don't think the residents of Northfield Minnesota subscribed to it.
:-)

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Or those of Coffeyville, KS.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by skitish

A man that will desert his friends will desert his family, country, GOD!

'Gott, Ehre, Vaterland', words many gullible minds live by. I 🙏 for them.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Exactly Montana marine. Fight or flight also comes to mind, as does Darwinism as well. Also common sense. That doesn’t mean you stop training and just run away. You don’t run out looking for fights either. All common sense stuff. SA is something that should be a constant.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I don't think I'll take any fight advice from Jim Fugkin' Wilson.

LOL

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by deflave
I don't think I'll take any fight advice from Jim Fugkin' Wilson.

LOL

He has written far beyond his personal knowledge years ago.

While I like the guy, and know him, he and I got into quite a tiff on another platform a couple years ago where he claimed nobody could hit anything while shooting off horseback.

Myself and a couple of others knew better... But rather than admit he was wrong, he doubled down on his ignorance.

You see that often here at the Fire too... laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (257Bob, 21, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 52 invisible), 2,582 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,368
Posts18,527,313
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.