-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm an amateur oyster shucker, but we are eating more and more. Suggestions on a good oyster knife and glove please.

Thanks.. BP...

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I chargrill my oysters. So I put them unopened on the grill until they start to barely open. Then I pull them off the grill and they're easy to open with a good oyster knife.
Then I put the stuffing/filling in them, lay on a large grilling pan and grill them until done.

Here's a good tip when grilling them. Take a large sheet of aluminum foil and crinkle it up. Then pull it out semi-flat to cover your grilling pan. You can now "nest" your oysters by pressing them into the crinkled foil and keeping them more upright, so the juices/filling doesn't spill out.

W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I've not seen an oyster in the shell.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
E
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
E
A good stout blade with a pointy tip and a couple of folded towels is all I've used my whole life.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
In today's day and age, I'm not big on raw shellfish, so I grill my oysters. Lots of great recipes for grilled oysters out there. I bought my oyster opening knife at either HEB or Academy when I was down on the gulf coast. I just use a plain leather work glove (see my post above, I heat them on the grill to get them too partially open).

I pry them open on the hinge side, there's usually a spot to get leverage with the oyster shucking knife.

One of the best meals I ever made was when we were vacationing on the gulf coast. I grilled bacon wrapped venison fillets, grilled oysters and paired it with a Becker's Vineyards red wine. 100% Texas sourced meal!

IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've been given several oysters knifes over the years. They need to blunt and easy to fit the hand. Seems most fit the bill.

I use a silicone glove. Towels work fine. I was given a chain mail glove. That sucked.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Have several homemade ones and a blue-handled, store-bought one. One was made from an old butter knife, likely on a grinder . . . seems folks are making them out of railroad spikes these days. As for gloves, we always just used an old, leather work glove.

https://carolinaoysterknife.com/

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
We have been using these... or a homemade version thereof forever...

https://www.katom.com/135-10151.html

Other Options HERE

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Toadfish makes good ones. I have gifted them a couple of times.

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The cheap dexter Russell's work fine. The poly.knit type gloves with the rubber coating on the palm side work fine and are cheap also.

You'll shoot your eye out
IC B3

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have used a Dexter russell oyster knife and a leather work glove. Not hard to figure out after opening a few.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
I like a shucking tool that has a broad blade and a big handle. I looked on Amazon and the Amourate oyster knife is very close to what I like. The reason I like this style is I insert the tool in that perfect spot and rotate the knife and one has to overcome the muscle that opens/closes the shell and that can be tough. The one I actually use is locally made and I live near the Gulf Coast.
As far as gloves - I use a hand towel, but most work gloves should work for you. Good shuckin'

Dave
Life Member NRA
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Until you get use to it, I would highly recommend getting 2 or 3 cheap ones with a finger guard - new shuckers tend to "muscle" shells apart until they learn where the sweet spot (hinge point) is. Frequently the hand slips and knuckles get sliced or chewed up. I would also buy some cheap cotton and leather work gloves that you can throw in the washer afterwards.

AKA The P-Man smile

If you cherish your memories with kids, be a good role model . . . . so the RIGHT memories of you mean something to them.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1234, 61 invisible), 2,287 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,394
Posts18,488,794
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.