Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Opinions obviously vary but I think both the Biesen/Biesen Knock-off and Shrapnel’s .22 Hornet are simply gorgeous guns!

Hard to beat a Model 70!

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Vastly different skill levels of the individuals who checkered those stocks. The checkering borders on the gun in question are very telling

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
The difference between curly rock maple and European walnut is pretty dramatic when it comes to checkering.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Poconojack
Lenard Brownell was the master of the Fleur-de-lis

I don’t have enough experience with it but his rifles have deep and perfect patterns.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by ismith
Originally Posted by Marley7x57
Originally Posted by ismith
Besides price, what sticks out to you as being non-Biesen?

What bothers me is no stamp in the inletting by Biesen. Nor stamped on Barrel either for that matter.
Also, see where the cheekpiece meets the grip checkering - usually the line from the cheekpiece runs just over the grip so that there is no space between the cheekpiece and the checkering.

Could be an old stock and am sure that more than one got out of the shop without be stamped by Biesen.

Whoever purchased it got a very good deal even if not a Biesen and not a super grade.

The barrel has been replaced, in one of the pictures you can see inletting for the hated winchester barrel lump. The barrel is where Biesen signed his work. As for the cheek piece, I think it’s important to remember that even a master was once an apprentice. Another clue is found in the checkering patterns. The grip pattern is the same one used on JOC’s #2 rifle, and the forend pattern is identical to the one used on Biesens personal rifle, which was also stocked in tiger striped maple.

So, factory original barrel when stocked and replacement barrel has been installed. So, if Biesen with original factory barrel he would not have stamped the metal but he would have stamped in the stock inletting, or perhaps, under the buttplate. Never seen one stamped in buttplate though. Not a Biesen unless you can prove otherwise. Got an invoice?? grin

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
It's a pretty specimen and perhaps "innovative of crafting the action to a chambering. Mauser Oberndorf did that specifically for their "Intermediate Action" for the 7x57 chambering. That said...

There are apparently a lot of photos I missed as taken down after sale. But I'm left with the profound 'tilt' no one seems to be mentoning, of advertised as .270 Weatherby Mag chambering if I'm reading correctly and appearing for nothing longer than the ever mentioned here .22 Hornet! Must be my error somewhere!

t's neither a Winchester Super Grade nor in any manner collectible. The rifle is of early postwar origins in serial digits and yet bearing Tilden Safety lever. Comparing "beauty to a genuine Super Grade, is apples to oranges. A 'non-starter' a inferred in a Post above! From that point, I need to rapidly defer to the many folks here exhibiting expertise regard Beisen work, far beyond my humble knowledge. Otherwise, far too many 'tilts' reflecting unknowns including messing with action length of a receiver of heat treated 4140 strength derived. I'm not up for that as purchase candidate plus nowadays, far better off with a medium length Classic series Model 70 from the latter nineties, factory original.

The specimen stock is indeed "striking", as I'd described it. But - just as a question - does anyone else here, thinking its actually achieved "excess"? I love "tiger striping" and this is the first occasion where I find it "excessive"! It seems to me so "up front" as taking away some degree of harmony and proportionality to the overall rifle. A sort of "in your face" dominance. Aesthetics everyone's different and nobody "wrong". So leave it as 'just me"!

The 'net' her parallels the a similar assessment above amounting to "If you like it." My concurrence exactly. Just please don't call it Winchester Super Grade!

Thanks for sharing a definitely 'interesting rifle'.
Best & definitely my take!
John

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Agree that the stock or rifle don’t seem to be an Al Biesen. The missing barrel marking already mentioned speaks against it. Stamping in the stock was routine but reportedly not there on this one.

The biggest clue to me is the lack of the elegantly rearward curved line finishing the rear line on the cheek piece. There is a very rudimentary attempt to start it but it is not at all like the Biesens I’ve handled. This was a signature feature for both Al and Roger.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

ismith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Barrel channel looks to have been opened up some for the new barrel. As far as it being a Biesen stock, it is certainly in his style, but no more than a well made old custom stock on a rifle that will be hopefully killing some critters this fall.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
spent that kind of money shoulda bought a Weatherby !

Last edited by anothergun; 08/15/23.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (12344mag, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,019
Posts18,500,406
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.