Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, the .270 Winchester works very well with 150 Partitions. In fact the quickest "deadest" I've seen a bull moose dropped with a non-central nervous-system shot was this Montana bull that Eileen took in 1989, when she drew a bull tag the first time she ever applied. The range was around 125 yards, with the bull standing quartering away. She aimed for the far shoulder, and at the shot the moose took about a step and a half before collapsing. The bullet had entered the middle of the left ribs and ended up that far shoulder, at least three feet of penetration.

Now, it wasn't a big bull, but was still at least as large as the biggest bull elk I've seen on the ground. It was also one of 10 straight one-shot kills she made with that rifle, which included at least a couple of elk, one of her biggest mule deer bucks, and a buck pronghorn at around 450 yards.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
The 7mm Rem Mag works in any hunting situation I find myself in the PNW. I like the 160gr Partition for everything from blacktails in the timber to elk in open country. Between it, the 270, and 30-06, I have something that I can easily feed that is capable.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yep, the .270 Winchester works very well with 150 Partitions. In fact the quickest "deadest" I've seen a bull moose dropped with a non-central service system shot was this Montana bull that Eileen took in 1989, when she drew a bull tag the first time she ever applied. The range was around 125 yards, with the bull standing quartering away. She aimed for the far shoulder, and at the shot the moose took about a step and a half before collapsing. The bullet had entered the middle of the left ribs and ended up that far shoulder, at least three feet of penetration.

Now, it wasn't a big bull, but was still at least as large as the biggest bull elk I've seen on the ground. It was also one of 10 straight one-shot kills she made with that rifle, which included at least a couple of elk, one of her biggest mule deer bucks, and a buck pronghorn at around 450 yards.

[Linked Image]

Very good track record. She's a hunter for sure. Love the 270 winchester loaded with 150 nosler partitions. Some of these guys saying a 7mm rem mag is so much better, have not shot the 2 side by side. I like both cartridges and they are both very capable, beyond the distance most hunters are willing to shoot.
Also, to answer the thread title: NO, the 7mm rem mag is not "outdated". Next question please.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Yep, the .270 Winchester works very well with 150 Partitions. In fact the quickest "deadest" I've seen a bull moose dropped with a non-central service system shot was this Montana bull that Eileen took in 1989, when she drew a bull tag the first time she ever applied. The range was around 125 yards, with the bull standing quartering away. She aimed for the far shoulder, and at the shot the moose took about a step and a half before collapsing. The bullet had entered the middle of the left ribs and ended up that far shoulder, at least three feet of penetration.

[Linked Image]

Very good track record. She's a hunter for sure. Love the 270 winchester loaded with 150 nosler partitions. Some of these guys saying a 7mm rem mag is so much better, have not shot the 2 side by side. I like both cartridges and they are both very capable, beyond the distance most hunters are willing to shoot.
Also, to answer the thread title: NO, the 7mm rem mag is not "outdated". Next question please.

No one on this thread said the 7MM RM was “so much better”. Unless I have missed something. But the 270 is different than the 7MM. Both will have their strengths and weaknesses. They are not equal in quantifiable performance though. That’s all.

Neither is outdated. I agree

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I was standing next to her when she dropped the hammer on a large bison with a 270.

The data and opinions contained in these posts are the results of experiences with my equipment. NO CONCLUSIONS SHOULD BE DRAWN FROM ANY DATA PRESENTED, DO NOT, UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, ATTEMPT TO REPLICATE THESE RESULTSj
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by pathfinder76
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

[Linked Image]

No one on this thread said the 7MM RM was “so much better”. Unless I have missed something. But the 270 is different than the 7MM. Both will have their strengths and weaknesses. They are not equal in quantifiable performance though. That’s all.

Neither is outdated. I agree

I’d agree with Chuck. Both are great at what they do. I’d have a tough time picking one if you made me.

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by CharlieSisk
I was standing next to her when she dropped the hammer on a large bison with a 270.

Which also didn't go far before dropping, though a little farther than the moose.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
S
I'm a long-time fan of the 7RM and the 160-grain NP. However, if I get another 7RM it will have an 8 twist so I could shoot the high BC bullets that are out there. Connecting at ranges beyond 350 yards is mostly about coping with wind drift and that's where BC shines.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JMR40
I had a couple and liked them until I bought a chronograph. I'd read years ago that the 7 mag was just a loud 270. That was my conclusion. Not that the 270, 280, or 30-06 are bad choices and neither is a 7mm Rem mag. But I was never able to get the 7 mag to shoot fast enough to do anything I couldn't do with the other 3.

^^^^This!^^^^

As a kid in East Texas, there were Sports Afield, Field & Stream and Outdoir life in every unoccupied chair in the barber shop! Spent many hours reading stories and was most enamored by "Cactus Jack" O'Connor.
Pop and grampa both shot Marlin .30-30's.
No amount of cajoling was going to bring a .270 into my life ..... until I could afford my own!
I've owned one ever since. Have no idea just how many deer I've taken with a .270 Win.

I had a short infatuation with "magnum" cartridges. Of the three magnum cartridges I owned, the .458 Win Mag was the most pleasant to shoot. The .300 Win Mag and a "VERY" short episode with a .338 Win Mag and I swore off "mangle'em" cartridges.... forever!
I've got a 3.5" Rem 870 has NEVER seen more than 2.75" ammo.
Tain't necessary! For waterfowl or turkeys either!

....but I'd hate to see the 7RM disappear from the market. In fact, I'd like to see some of the oldtimers become more popular.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by super T
I'm a long-time fan of the 7RM and the 160-grain NP. However, if I get another 7RM it will have an 8 twist so I could shoot the high BC bullets that are out there. Connecting at ranges beyond 350 yards is mostly about coping with wind drift and that's where BC shines.

And a 30 degree shoulder, and no belt … 7 PRC or 28 Nosler - long throated of course !

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
IC B3

A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Another silly thread of no use to anyone.
The average Elk kill in MT/ID/WY from a survey a few years ago was 130 odd yards.
For any real world hunting in the lower 48, by real world hunters (99% of us) a 7mm RemMag will do just fine. (As will a 30-06).
But please convince all the guys with G&H or H&H 7 RMs that they are worthless so I can buy them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by armchair
Another silly thread of no use to anyone.
The average Elk kill in MT/ID/WY from a survey a few years ago was 130 odd yards.
For any real world hunting in the lower 48, by real world hunters (99% of us) a 7mm RemMag will do just fine. (As will a 30-06).

In my experience this also applies to any other 7mm "magnum," whether short, long, belted or beltless. Oh, and the 7x57 and other "non-magnum" 7mms....

John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I never could warm up to it and it never filled an empty niche for me but I inherited a new unfired 1965mfg model 70 in 7mag so I’ll probably be playing around with it in the near future. There’s absolutely nothing wrong with it and I hunt with guys that love it but I was always a 30Cal minimum guy for big game rifles back in the day. 😀

I’m looking forward to seeing what I can do with it and whatever I decide I know that it’s “enough gun” for most things given good bullets and shot placement.

�Politicians are the lowest form of life on earth. Liberal Democrats are the lowest form of politician.� �General George S. Patton, Jr.

---------------------------------------------------------
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
As another general comment, involving the .270 Winchester and 150-grain Partitions, I also know that Phil Shoemaker is willing to guide brown-bear clients who use that combination. This because they tend to put their shots in the right place, which doesn't always happen with clients who bring a more powerful "magnum," especially if they bought it for the hunt.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've always wanted one, an have picked up two in the last month....a Ruger No. 1 and boat paddle 77.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Jason280
I've always wanted one, an have picked up two in the last month....a Ruger No. 1 and boat paddle 77.
I sold a boat paddle 7mag a couple of months ago. Good rifle and it didn’t kick as much as I expected in that stock. I probably should have kept it for my elk hunt this year. Would probably been a good rifle for the saddle scabbard. I will probably take my 338 or a 270 in a light weight stock or ???
I still have a 7mm mag in the safe that my wife calls hers. Browning Abolt that shoots Barnes TTSX 140gr into timy groups. Never have tried another bullet or powder combination (Retumbo) in that rifle

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by armchair
I do most of my elk hunting in Eastern Oregon not far from the Idaho border. The last bull I shot was a 5 point taken at about 30 yards with a 30-06. I still like my 7mm Rem Mag, but I've actually used it more for mule deer and antelope than for elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have one in a M700 that my dad bought for me in '62 so it will never be sold. It's more than I need for our WTs, but I've down loaded it into a pretty nice 280 (120TTSX at 3150) or it makes a very accurate 7x57 using 150gr GKs with a light load of IMR4895 at about 2700fps.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Of course it's an outdated "fud cartridge"! Just like my .30 06! Just don't tell the deer that 'cause they apparently didn't get the memo.

I don't own a 7RM and just had a 7PRC built. Why 7PRC when I could have chosen 7RM? Like I told the shop when I ordered it, "The 7PRC is cool and I haven't been cool since 1992!"

"One should not talk to a skilled hunter about what is forbidden by the Buddha."

- Hsiang-yen by way of Gary Snyder
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
My dad bought this rifle (7MM Remington Magnum) in the late 60’s or early 70’s and literally shot what Alberta had to offer with it exclusively for over 35 years. He handloaded for it for that entire time. When he bought it everyone told him it was a flash in the pan and that ammunition would become a real problem. Apparently not.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1minute, 204guy, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 63 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,126
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.