Print Thread
Hop To
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Below is a quote from the Sierra exterior ballistics website (http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reference/rifleinout.cfm). It claims that whether you use spherical or extruded powders makes no difference in bore life. Does anyone have any hard evidence to the contrary?

Some debate has ensued over the merits of ball powders vs. extruded tubular powders. Extensive testing at Lake City Ammunition Plant found �no significant difference in bore life, accuracy wise, when using either IMR propellants (extruded tubular) or spherical propellants (ball powder).� While these comments were made specifically about the 30 caliber and 7.62mm NATO Match ammunition, the same situation will hold true for most other cartridges.

HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't take issue with Sierra over much of anything, as their info is based on pretty good authority; there is likely no significant difference in bore erosion between two powders of similar purpose and similar burn rate that can be consistently measured.

However, the military has developed low heat powders designated for use in machine guns...these barrels get real hot, real quick and are made of special steel to compensate...the lower heat powders do extend barrel life in that application.

Whether "accuracy life" as we speak about it is extended is a different question. Machine gun barrels are considered to be worn out when the bullets start flying sideways and won't fly downrange...that is a different consideration than accuracy we consider suitable for sporting purposes.

But to answer your question...the most relevant relationship between powder and bore life is that the slower the powder, the smaller the caliber, and the more powder you burn per round, the shorter your barrel life will be.

TC

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by TopCat
However, the military has developed low heat powders designated for use in machine guns...the lower heat powders do extend barrel life in that application.

I understand that the military uses Alliant RL-15 for .308 caliber sniper rifles. Is this powder also used for .308 caliber machine guns, such as the M60?
Originally Posted by TopCat

...the slower the powder,..., the shorter your barrel life will be.

Interesting result since the load data tables indicate that the slower powders produce lower peak pressures.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No wonder I cant find any RL15!

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
P
pjf Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
P
I've no idea if Reloder 15 powder is used in machine guns. Its webpage (http://www.alliantpowder.com/products/reloder_15.htm) states, "Selected as the powder for U.S. Military's M118 special ball long range sniper round."

I found a webpage listing military 7.62mm ammo and the powders used but it seems dated: http://www.inetres.com/gp/military/infantry/rifle/762mm_ammo.html

IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (222Sako, 264mag, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 270wsmnutt, 43 invisible), 17,337 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,930
Posts18,539,151
Members74,051
Most Online20,796
Yesterday at 04:44 PM

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.