Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Didn’t want to derail the other thread but I have a similar question.

Had HCR build me a 300 wm with a bartlein 2b on what was a 7 mag early six digit classic.

I acquired the 375 classic box and follower from classifieds. I assume I would need to change bolt stop for sure but what about magazine spring and ejector??

Would this offer much advantage in the way of long bullets??

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yea, you need the shorter ejector, bolt stop and your spring might be fine. I’d try it before investing in more.

With a 300 Win you’ll be able to nestle bullets much closer to the lands. I love a 3.6” mag box on the 300 Win. Opens a bunch a doors.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Yea, you need the shorter ejector, bolt stop and your spring might be fine. I’d try it before investing in more.

With a 300 Win you’ll be able to nestle bullets much closer to the lands. I love a 3.6” mag box on the 300 Win. Opens a bunch a doors.
I did a similar test on a 5 digit classic a while back. Installed a mag box from my 300wby, and I didn’t need anything. Bolt stop was fine, etc. I believe I also used the follower from the 300 wby though. I know I took pictures and posted them here because someone else was asking similar questions. If I remember correctly, you also posted something in that thread. I’ll have to look through my pictures and see what worked, to be sure though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a magazine from my 6 digit classic stainless 7mm rem mag:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Someone else was asking the same questions as the op a while back, so I took some pictures and did some checking. Maybe someone changed the bolt stop on my 7mm rem mag, but the bolt face is back far enough that it will pick up a cartridge that is loaded as far back as possible:

I mean the bolt face is even/flush with the bottom part of the machined out receiver at the mag well, where the box goes. The black/blued box is out of my XTR 300WBY:

Yet, it fits in the classic stainless 7mm rem mag.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
BSA you are absolutely correct! Pulled out my rifle which was a factory low six digit 7 mag (106xxx). It is just as you describe the face of the bolt is even with the rear of the receiver. But the back of my receiver which is a small square between the magazine and bolt face, overhangs the magazine by a small amount. I think I see the same condition in one of your pictures also, I wouldn’t think this would matter because it is well back of the ejector and the base of the round is larger than this square. Maybe the second one could get hung up under this piece of the receiver???

Not sure if shorter ejector would be needed? I think I will try to locate a 375 spring but it may be harder to come by.

Last edited by ldg397; 08/19/23.
IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by ldg397
BSA you are absolutely correct! Pulled out my rifle which was a factory low six digit 7 mag (106xxx). It is just as you describe the face of the bolt is even with the rear of the receiver. But the back of my receiver which is a small square between the magazine and bolt face, overhangs the magazine by a small amount. I think I see the same condition in one of your pictures also, I wouldn’t think this would matter because it is well back of the ejector and the base of the round is larger than this square. Maybe the second one could get hung up under this piece of the receiver???

Not sure if shorter ejector would be needed? I think I will try to locate a 375 spring but it may be harder to come by.

It sure can hang up under there. That is why the ones with long boxes from the factory are modified there.

Also, the ejector should sit flush with back of the box which is why the bolt stop needs to be shortened. The bolt face needs to be behind the box, not flush with it.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Seems like you could just knock it down with a file. Not very much metal maybe the thickness of the magazine wall. Wouldn’t affect anything if you converted back to shorter mag box later.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Ok had to dig to the back of the safe as my curiosity was peaked. Pulled out the six digit stainless 375 h&h.

Pathfinder is correct as you can see in picture below as compared to BSA 7 mag which is identical to my stainless 7 mag.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I sent a bunch of the parts that you are talking about to Jim Wisner, if needed check with Jim.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Easy to get rid of the rear block on the existing mag and you'll have COAL = 3.600". You'd need to braze or silver solder the rear seam, but if the stock is well inletted or bedded that'll hold the lengthened mag together and in place.

Last edited by Wildcatter264; 08/20/23. Reason: Added info

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

IC B3

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I already have the correct box and follower bought in the classifieds. I located and purchased the bolt stop, ejector and spring.

I think will file the back of the action flush with the larger box mag and try it from there adding pieces if I need them.

Worried with all parts installed it won’t eject properly because the action opening isn’t big enough.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hint.

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]

Just sayin'..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Stick what bases and rings are those??

Notice you also purchased an ejector spring and pin, are they different on the 375 length as well??

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Due logistics,I like to have extra extra's and especially with itty bitty schit that can go flyin'. The pin and spring are same/same. Hint.

Reupold MK 4 base and Swiffer rings. Hint.

Sound platform. Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Makes sense I have sure spent some time on all fours looking for little bitty pieces.

That is a good lookin rifle in a great caliber and I like the split cross slot bases rather than the solid rail. I will have to try some of those out.

Last edited by ldg397; 08/21/23.
L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Well I got all the parts installed and the block at the back of the mag well modified. Something isn’t quite right the rounds go in fine although the second round isn’t held very tightly. With three rounds it holds them well and it picks up the first round out of the magazine just fine but when you eject that round with two in the magazine the top round jumps out of the mag and messes up the ejection and would jamb rifle if you tried to ram it home. The third round stays in mag and is picked up out of magazine fine if you clear the mess ahead of it. The ejection isn’t as positive without the larger mag port but will clear the action and i don’t think would be an issue if second round wasn’t jumping out.

Any insight into what is going on or fixes?

Last edited by ldg397; 11/27/23.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Hint.

Just sayin'..................

You must've gotten one of the last mag boxes, cause they say discontinued there now.

Semper Fi
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ldg397
Well I got all the parts installed and the block at the back of the mag well modified. Something isn’t quite right the rounds go in fine although the second round isn’t held very tightly. With three rounds it holds them well and it picks up the first round out of the magazine just fine but when you eject that round with two in the magazine the top round jumps out of the mag and messes up the ejection and would jamb rifle if you tried to ram it home. The third round stays in mag and is picked up out of magazine fine if you clear the mess ahead of it. The ejection isn’t as positive without the larger mag port but will clear the action and i don’t think would be an issue if second round wasn’t jumping out.

Any insight into what is going on or fixes?

EXACTLY what are the parts you changed? Hint.

Can you take pics? Hint.

Better be FAST,today is a (5) airport day for me. Hint.............(grin)

'retzs,

I never learned how to linger. Hint............(grin)

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I can get a picture but I can confirm the mag box is marked 1460 which the last four of the part number, the bolts stop is marked DS and that is the number on the bag it came in. The follower is marked with a D 3 and fits the 1460 mag box my 7 mag follower and another 375 h&h follower are too wide for this mag box. This follower will not fit in 7 mag MLS mag box. I am using the spring with the bend in it which is matches the one in my 375.

L
ldg397 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Beretz I bought the follower and mag box from someone on the forum getting rid of the parts. I bought bolt stop and ejector and mag spring from mgw.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,620 guests, and 904 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,289
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.