S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Go away.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Funny. The banner ad at the top of the screen is suddenly for some New Mexico something or the other.

“They are watching” lol

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by SLM
Go away.

No.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A favorite drive in SE NM coming up from Texas is from the high plains of Artesia west 90 miles to Cloudcroft (9,000 ft). From Cloudcroft you can look down on White Sands and the Organ Mts 50 miles out.

Comfortable lodging to be had in town, nice campgrounds with showers in the adjacent Lincoln National Forest.

Beautiful 30 mile drive from there across the Mescalero Reservation to Mescalero : Pine forests, high mountain meadows, elk in the road at night. The Mescalero Rez ain’t like many, at least the parts you need to cross, never had a problem there over forty years of visiting.

The Silver Lake Campground/RV park on the Rez en route is a quiet and pleasant stay, many repeat clientele, mostly from El Paso.

The Mescalero Apache Mission just outside the town of Mescalero is among the nicer churches I’ve seen, 30 years in the making with a real story behind its construction.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

From there the tourist town of Ruidoso is just over the mountain. Lots of comfortable places to stay or, more upscale, Inn of the Mountain Gods resort on the rez.

OTOH if ya wanna camp primitive at 11,000+ feet and get nosebleeds take the Ski Apache road up Sierra Blanca.

Other side of Ruidoso lies the Smokey Bear museum and gravesite (allegedly, local rumor has it Indian firefighters hopped the wall and stole the bones one night). Capitan is a quiet town with a nice old motel and a good restaurant.

A little ways further down the road is Lincoln and the Billy the Kid museum.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
Best like green or red chili pepper on most everything. I do.

ALB, I have heard, has lots of crime. I would pick you up from the airport, but I misplaced my vehicle.

Santa Fe, to many libs.

Gallup, if the world needed an enema the tube would be inserted at Gurley street.

Las Cruces, see first sentence. Also at the other end of the most boring straightest section of road in the world, see below

Deming, at the other end of the most boring straightest road in the world, see above

T or C, go swimming in Elephant Butte, just be ready to wring sand out of your shorts. Have hot springs but most it is pay by the hour.

Hatch, see first sentence.

Las Alamos, to many gmen

Roswell, besides aliens (the ones from way out there) not much else, OH wait it is south of Billy the Kids supposed grave site on I40

Grants, I think I found my vehicle there

Farmington, not a single thing comes to mind

Silver City, I use a gun smith there

Lordsburg, it sits between Silver and Deming

Edgewood, Jason Andersons hometown

Pie Town, piñon and red chili pie, who came up with that combination?

Quemado, campfire get together, have a uncle in the cemetery, RIP. Has a 1200 yard (at least) range.

Palomas, across the border from a popular dentist and the pink store

Great place to visit!

Well there's an obscure reference.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by hitandmiss
Best like green or red chili pepper on most everything. I do.

ALB, I have heard, has lots of crime. I would pick you up from the airport, but I misplaced my vehicle.

Santa Fe, to many libs.

Gallup, if the world needed an enema the tube would be inserted at Gurley street.

Las Cruces, see first sentence. Also at the other end of the most boring straightest section of road in the world, see below

Deming, at the other end of the most boring straightest road in the world, see above

T or C, go swimming in Elephant Butte, just be ready to wring sand out of your shorts. Have hot springs but most it is pay by the hour.

Hatch, see first sentence.

Las Alamos, to many gmen

Roswell, besides aliens (the ones from way out there) not much else, OH wait it is south of Billy the Kids supposed grave site on I40

Grants, I think I found my vehicle there

Farmington, not a single thing comes to mind

Silver City, I use a gun smith there

Lordsburg, it sits between Silver and Deming

Edgewood, Jason Andersons hometown

Pie Town, piñon and red chili pie, who came up with that combination?

Quemado, campfire get together, have a uncle in the cemetery, RIP. Has a 1200 yard (at least) range.

Palomas, across the border from a popular dentist and the pink store

Great place to visit!

Well there's an obscure reference.

Who the hell is Jason Anderson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Verylargeboots
Who the hell is Jason Anderson

"El Hombre"
Motocross racer / supercross champion

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
People drive through on I-40, think they've seen New Mexico.

We're I a stranger wanting to explore on wheels, I'd drive all the forest roads in all the mountains I could each day, then find good eats in the small towns at night, have a beer, talk to the locals.

If you like architecture and history, just finding really cool old churches could be a thing, without even bothering with the big, well-known ones. Also some cool Pueblo ruins scattered about.

Where New Mexico truly shines is off the beaten path.

Haul ass, haul ass! - Pappy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ShaunRyan
People drive through on I-40, think they've seen New Mexico.

We're I a stranger wanting to explore on wheels, I'd drive all the forest roads in all the mountains I could each day, then find good eats in the small towns at night, have a beer, talk to the locals.

If you like architecture and history, just finding really cool old churches could be a thing, without even bothering with the big, well-known ones. Also some cool Pueblo ruins scattered about.

Where New Mexico truly shines is off the beaten path.
This.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by sidepass
Most of the state is a chit show.

Please tell the rest of California and Texas this so they stop coming here in such high numbers.

Politics suck but there is absolutely great food, history, breweries, and outdoor sights.

Good Shooting!
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by sidepass
Originally Posted by StGeorger
Gallup on a Saturday night.

I could only imagine. Dodging drunks all night. Ate well at Ella's in Reserve NM many times.
Right about Ella's. But, health caused Ella to move to lower elevation. Someone else took it over and kept the name going - was still good food when last I was there - 2022.

Right about Gallup, too. Always kept driving through there and through Shiprock as well - Cortez a welcome sight.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Anybody know of any good places to eat ?

Adam's Rib in Chicago has great BBQ...

Per Hawkeye

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Albuquerque

Atomic museum
Sandia peak cable car

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Santa fe

Georgia okeefe
Taos pueblo

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by LRoyJetson
Anybody know of any good places to eat ?

LRoy,

I've heard there are some really great Italian restaurants:

Trombino's
Saggios
Mario's
Buca di Beppo
M'Tucci's
Caruso's
Bravo!
Scalo
II Vicino
Piatanzi
Farina Alto
Luigi's
Luca

That's about all though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fgold767
October/November maybe.....
no rock climbing we be old farts so car riding is all....did the walking around stuff 15 years ago....

Well ok. Lots of things are too late for lots of people.

At my wife's request we drove down to Santa Fe to spend part of a day on "museum hill". If you have any interest in that sort of thing there is a bit of SW native art in one of them, a good native history spread in another, and a nice botanical garden to walk around in full of local plants, all in the same complex. Also a "folk art" museum that was not at all to my taste but I did a decent job of pretending to be interested.

That whole area was absolutely crammed with boomers so might be a good fit. Herds of them.

Later, not far away, we ate excellent red chili sauce on some mexican food.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Santa Fe was already becoming Disney-fied when I first went there as a kid in the early/mid 70’s. I shudder to think now. I was actually just there, about a month+ ago, but I had just taken a bus down from Ghost Ranch and was catching a train to the ABQ and didn’t have time (or desire) to hit Santa Fe proper.

The Santa Fe/ Taos area got overrun by pretend-artsy (mostly) east coasters in the 70’s and really wrecked it. I don’t need to see some New York heiress parading around in faux Native American garb. Yuck.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the terrain in the Taos area. The mix of people is all right by me, since I consider the self delusions of art hippies to be pretty harmless. Outside town there are more lots crowded with dilapidated RVs and school buses and mobile homes than I care to be around, but also fairly harmless.

Now that reefer is legal in NM I think it has drawn in a lot of longhairs. Lot more here now than I remember from previous visits.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by K1500
Originally Posted by batch
More practical is there is a ten round limit on magazines, few places off limit.

Pretty sure there is no capacity limit in NM. They were trying for 9, but I believe it failed.

It is my understanding that the mag limit was stalled in committee and didn't pass. Of course, MLG vowed to bring it back next session.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CashisKing
Adam's Rib in Chicago has great BBQ...
Per Hawkeye
Wonder of they still deliver. grin
I was thinking Italian...

Originally Posted by Tide_Change
LRoy,

I've heard there are some really great Italian restaurants:

Trombino's
Saggios
Mario's
Buca di Beppo
M'Tucci's
Caruso's
Bravo!
Scalo
II Vicino
Piatanzi
Farina Alto
Luigi's
Luca

That's about all though.

Good list, thanks

Anybody ever been to "Pisanos" in Albequerqe ?

Roy

What this world needs is a few more Rednecks.

The Dildō Of Consequence Rarely Arrives Lubed

Waterboarding isn't illegal if you use diesel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Stickfight
I like the terrain in the Taos area. The mix of people is all right by me, since I consider the self delusions of art hippies to be pretty harmless. Outside town there are more lots crowded with dilapidated RVs and school buses and mobile homes than I care to be around, but also fairly harmless.

Now that reefer is legal in NM I think it has drawn in a lot of longhairs. Lot more here now than I remember from previous visits.

I bought legal weed in Cuba a couple months ago and it made my day. After spending my teen years dodging getting popped by cops <grin> it was awesome to be back there and walk into a store like a free man. Hell yeah. Let freedom RING.

Was it you mentioning climbing? There’s an area down near Socorro we used to party at called Box Canyon that I guess has become a bit of a thing. I didn’t start climbing until I’d moved to Oregon.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

183 members (35, 2UP, 44mc, 264mag, 338rcm, 2500HD, 20 invisible), 1,627 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,965
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.