Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Good evening guys. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask some of you more experienced bow hunters may could help with.

My son has a Bowtech Razors Edge. The draw length is set about 26-1/2" and pull weight is maxxed out at 58lbs. (checked with a pull scale). Those are verified real numbers the bow is at.

With 26" arrows, he's getting around 260-265 fps with them when shot over the chrono. I know Bowtech specs says it should be closer to 300 fps, but maybe that was with the full 30 inch draw length which is too long for him? This one certainly isn't getting near bowtech's velocity numbers.

With all of that said and out of the way and everyone knows what the particular bow is shooting, for his hunting setup, he wants to use an illuminated nock (I think those weigh around 25gr).

He's looked at a metric ton of broadheads over the last month and this is where we could use some advice. Most broadheads seem similar and all have really great marketing which isn't really helping narrow down the choices. whistle

Since the bow is shooting on the lighter end, he's not going to use a mechanical broadhead like the rage that I have used with good success on my crossbow.

He'll be using a fixed broadhead so none of energy is wasted on trying to flip the arms out while trying to get in there as deep as he can.

First on his list of broadheads is a 2 blade Magnus Stinger (with the two small bleeder blades--not sure if that would still be considered a 2 blade or 4 blade because of the small bleeders?).

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Our thoughts are since the bow is shooting on the lighter side, having a large 3 or 4 blade broadhead would likely get less penetration especially after trying to go through rib bone and why the magnus stinger buzzcut is top on his list because it has 2 blades and not as wide of a cut. I think it's 7/8" blade width.

I have always had complete pass-throughs with my crossbow on the several I have gotten with it and appreciate a really easy to follow blood trail due to the terrain and brush and everything else up there. So, we're trying to get as much penetration as we can squeeze out of it.

We've also talked about our thoughts that the 2 blade would may be able to get between the rib bones easier than a larger 3 or 4 blade fixed broadhead with the energy it has.

The Magnus stinger generally has decent reviews. Seems to be a decent company too.

I forgot to mention, where we hunt, average shots have always been between 17-24 yards. There are no long shots up there so there's not going to be any hotrodding trying to get some ridiculous 78-3/4 yard shot or anything. Everything is close enough to hit with a rock. I've been so close to some of them I could've spit on them.

The 100 gr field points he has been practicing with seem to be hitting OK with the arrows he's using. Though, I wouldn't be against considering the 125 tip if you guys don't think it would hurt it too bad in the penetration department.

This pic below, he was just shooting for groups and kept aiming at the first arrow he had shot at 20 yards. Again, basically the distance we'll be shooting up there so shot placement isn't a concern if he does his part. Just trying to figure out how to squeeze as much penetration out of the arrow as I can.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wouldn't worry about the speed - 26" DL, he's never going to see advertised.

I've killed deer with Buzzcuts. 2 blade version is fine, prone to rolling tips. Not the end of the world if you treat broadheads as a one and done item.

Would not recommend the 4 blade (bleeders). The slot for the bleeders weakens the ferrule and fuggers will snap if you hit something hard as has been known to happen if you tuck tight to the shoulder. Offside results in dead deer but weak bloodtrail with no exit. Entrance side leads to very little penetration and small probability of recovery.

If he is not stuck on a COC head I would push QAD Exodus.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The Magnus Stingers are are a fine broadhead, if you guys like them the next step is get and pack and shoot them. I’ve seen plenty of bows that will shoot groups like the one you have in the picture that don’t shoot that well with broadheads. Arrow flight is most important part of penetration. Adding a broadhead can/will change the way an arrow flies and it’s point of impact.

All fixed blade broadheads will amplify shooter error and a tuning issues with the bow. At 17-24 yards any broadhead that’s flying straight will be a solid killer for your son on deer sized game. I would recommend he waits for a broadside or slightly quartering away shot targeting both lungs.

Get a pack and start practicing with them. On another note, he’s going to need a foam target for shooting broadheads.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Don't over think this. His setup is fine with the stingers as long as the arrows are tuned for the bow. Personally I don't care for serrated heads because you can't sharpen them as easily, but that doesn't mean they won't work and a lot of people swear by them. I do disagree with hill on the bleeders. I'm a huge believer in 3 and 4 blade heads (with bleeders) and believe the benefits significantly outweigh any perceived weakness. Personally I've cleanly killed deer with self bows and recurves down in the low 40 lb range, and my buddies daughter took her first with a Matthews youth bow set at the legal lower limit of 35lbs using a 3 blade thunderhead. All were clean, quick kills.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd second the Qad Exodus or G5 Strykers.

IC B2

johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I would like to thank each of you for the time you took to reply and your advice. It is very appreciated since I have no experience hunting with a compound. I love my crossbow but I've never hunted with a compound so I'm a little out of my area there.

We are going to get some arrows cut after school today because he has to take the bow with him.

Then will be ordering the broadheads. I was just waiting to see the weight of the arrows so I'd know whether to buy the 100 or 125 grainers.

Was also going to get a foam target for the broadheads because I'm sure that we'll need to rezero his sight for them, especially after changing arrow, probably arrow weight and arrowhead both. That's expected.

As for the serrated blade, they have both serrated and straight edge. And looks like they now sell replacement blades if one gets bent up real bad or dull which would be cheaper than buying a new pack of broadheads every year. I've never re-used a point after taking a deer with them.

He has a handful of G5 Montec that was given to him with the bow, but I thought the 2 blade would get through the ribs and penetrate deeper than the larger 3 blade and again, I prefer to get through the deer and a good blood trail and put it down quickly before it crosses over into the state's animal preserve/forest.

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use the 125 grain Rocky Mountain 3 blade. They work well on deer and pigs, also a few aoudads.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
muzzy makes a 3 blade in 100 & 125 gr that work well with my recurve at 42 lbs pull wt. comes with target blades to check arrow flite

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The G5 Monec is a great broadhead. I would shoot them and test flight and accuracy, before I made a purchase. What’s on hand will provide a baseline to work from.

johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
We got the new arrows yesterday. They are a bit heavier and have better penetration. At 20 yards, sink up almost to the fletching in the foam target (turned long ways). I'd say around 22 inches.

He did try the montec broadheads and they shot very similar to the field points. I'll have to adjust the sights since the heavier arrows are a little lower (about 3 inches) but he was happy wiht them.

Plus, the guy that owned the archery store said he loved them and had taken a lot of deer with them too.

So, looks like that's what he's going to be using this year.

Thanks for all of your help guys. If he's able to cross paths with a deer I'll keep you in the loop of how it went.

IC B3

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Reminds me.............I still have a G5 Montec stuck in a tree (shot a groundhog by my deerstand) LOL

C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
With the setup you described you’re golden. One of my sons and my wife have both killed with similar draw lengths and less weight with the same head.

Bleeders are fine. More cuts = more bleeding so why not?

The serrations are also great heads. Actually my son is now up to 28.5 “ draw and 70lbs and still uses the same stingers he did when he started at 11 years old. He called the buzzcuts good luck because every buck he has shot has been with a buzzcut.

My wife uses buzzcuts and regular stingers at 43lb and 27” draw and had no issues.

Good luck

Hunt...
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thank you for reassuring me that the arrow/broadhead should work. Sometimes I get hung up trying to figure out things and tweak everything to no end trying to squeeze everything I can out of things.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by johna1
Good evening guys. I have a couple of questions that I'd like to ask some of you more experienced bow hunters may could help with.

My son has a Bowtech Razors Edge. The draw length is set about 26-1/2" and pull weight is maxxed out at 58lbs. (checked with a pull scale). Those are verified real numbers the bow is at.

With 26" arrows, he's getting around 260-265 fps with them when shot over the chrono. I know Bowtech specs says it should be closer to 300 fps, but maybe that was with the full 30 inch draw length which is too long for him?

I have a Matthews that is 18 years old and it shoots 265 fps with a Muzzy 100gr 4 blade broadhead. Haven't shot a deer that the arrow stayed in yet... Oh yeah, it's set at 56 lbs.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by tzone

With 26" arrows, he's getting around 260-265 fps with them when shot over the chrono. I know Bowtech specs says it should be closer to 300 fps, but maybe that was with the full 30 inch draw length which is too long for him?

I have a Matthews that is 18 years old and it shoots 265 fps with a Muzzy 100gr 4 blade broadhead. Haven't shot a deer that the arrow stayed in yet... Oh yeah, it's set at 56 lbs.

Same here. My old Matthews bow has driven those old 4 blade Muzzys through several deer and feral hogs.

Had 3 hogs lined up perfectly once, several years ago.
Zipped right through the first two, and stayed in the 3rd pig, with the broadhead sticking out the opposite side by about 4 inches.
I think mine is set at 58 lbs of pull.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/25/23.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by 44mc
muzzy makes a 3 blade in 100 & 125 gr that work well with my recurve at 42 lbs pull wt. comes with target blades to check arrow flite

This is the route I'd recommend.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by tzone

Same here. My old Matthews bow has driven those old 4 blade Muzzys through several deer and feral hogs.

Had 3 hogs lined up perfectly once, several years ago.
Zipped right through the first two, and stayed in the 3rd pig, with the broadhead sticking out the opposite side by about 4 inches.
I think mine is set at 58 lbs of pull.

Exactly. Sharp blades and they'll zip right along.

Even with some mechanicals they've gone through, but not all. So, I switched back to the Muzzy's. If it ain't broke...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cut on contact broadheads will penetrate much better with lower poundage, it takes some KE to drive expandables clean through....2 holes are always better than 1.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Had good results w mechs.
But I shot medium weight arrows from 70# rigs.

Didn't use mechs as a work around for a tune/arrow issue.
3 fletch helical feathers, medium weight arrows, decent FOC.

Same bows shot fixed blades on same arrows fine.

Last edited by hookeye; 09/01/23.
johna1 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
He's been practicing with the G5 montec's.

Season starts tomorrow and we have several coming in during the day on the camera, so with any luck, there will be some meat in the freezer before the weekend is over.

I printed out a target online and he shot a few times this evening just to verify his zero and he's feeling pretty good. For what it's worth, this was shot at 20 yards and smaller than life size. Probably 3/4 scale.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

80 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, Akhutr, 300_savage, 15 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 930 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,747
Posts18,495,214
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.