-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Pondered this thread a bit before posting. I had a 20 year love affair with the big 7. Killed lots of deer and things with it with 140 to 160 grain bullets of various makes. Some created a mess on 50 yard deer, some worked very well without all the mess.

When Re 26 came out, I happened to have a Kimber Montana 270. My pet load ran a bit over 3000 ft/sec with a 150 Partition. Killed a couple elk and a few deer with that combo until my rifle, and everything else in the truck, became "liberated" in Independance, MO (quite the naming coincidence). Various 7mm mags I had could break 3100 with a 150 and 3000 with a 160. Damned if I could tell the difference in ability to kill things between the 270/150 and the 7mm/160. Plus the 270 recoiled less. I don't own any 7mags of any flavor but do own a 270. If I ever stick my toes back into the 7mag game, it will likely be a 7 SAUM.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by comerade
Some valid , some invalid info here for my situation.
I live on the West slope of the Rockies, I hunt horseback and I find any repeating rifle with a 24" tube...just a little too long for my needs.
My 25/06 stays home, the .270 or 30/06 goes up the mountain for that reason.
I remember Warren Page speaking of this" he was damn sure not going to do any pole vaulting on his hunts"
His Mashburn short tubed 7, must of been a tad loud to use.
Warren had the advantage of of eternal deafness on his side though

I always thought that rifle probably had a decent bark to it myself.

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Garandimal
Be interesting to shoot some big white tail deer and hogs at a few different ranges, with rifles of assorted chamberings... and then have observers try to figure out what they were shot with, hit/run/field dressed, not seein' the shot, say, from an adjacent blind.

GR

Sounds like a complete waste of time to me, but whatever floats your boat.
Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

Kinda the point.

GR

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by beretzs
Be interesting to shoot some big white tail deer and hogs at a few different ranges, with rifles of assorted chamberings... and then have observers try to figure out what they were shot with, hit/run/field dressed, not seein' the shot, say, from an adjacent blind.

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

The closest I ever came to that was culling deer in an apple orchard. Back when I was 15,16 and 17 my dad made lumber for apple crates for a local orchard. As a young man I overheard they have a bunch of depred tags but couldn't ever get enough people to shoot em..

Well I was such a lad. I laid on top of stacks of apple crates, covered in sleeping bags. First used my 7 Rem with 140 Partitions over a full load of H870. Worked pretty slick, some deer flopped at the shot, some ran a bit. Well, I was a kid and had a 22-250 with a 52 grain Speer HP load over a load of H380.. I shot alot of deer with that and they never moved. I would say over those 3 years, I had about 70+ deer to my credit. So if I had to make a call back then, I'd have said the 22-250 was better.. I know a bullet swap in either one could've changed my perspective on what was better. I sometimes wished I had that same opportunity now to do it. But I don't have much inclination of sitting and freezing to kill deer without horns grin

Noticed a difference shifting from a hot 130 gr. to the 150 gr. at a moderate speed.

Not as many droppin' in their tracks, but none of'em runnin' very far.

GR

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

The closest I ever came to that was culling deer in an apple orchard. Back when I was 15,16 and 17 my dad made lumber for apple crates for a local orchard. As a young man I overheard they have a bunch of depred tags but couldn't ever get enough people to shoot em..

Well I was such a lad. I laid on top of stacks of apple crates, covered in sleeping bags. First used my 7 Rem with 140 Partitions over a full load of H870. Worked pretty slick, some deer flopped at the shot, some ran a bit. Well, I was a kid and had a 22-250 with a 52 grain Speer HP load over a load of H380.. I shot alot of deer with that and they never moved. I would say over those 3 years, I had about 70+ deer to my credit. So if I had to make a call back then, I'd have said the 22-250 was better.. I know a bullet swap in either one could've changed my perspective on what was better. I sometimes wished I had that same opportunity now to do it. But I don't have much inclination of sitting and freezing to kill deer without horns grin

Noticed a difference shifting from a hot 130 gr. to the 150 gr. at a moderate speed.

GR

Well, if you've hunted a while, and killed lots of game animals, you'd know that you can shoot identical animals (say a cull, mature whitetail doe) with the same rifle/ammo combo, shooting them in the same place (outside of DRT CNS shots) and they may react differently and often times do. This proves nothing, zero, nada.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I’d agree JG. Typically I don’t care if a deer runs anyhow. Honestly dying exactly where I’ve shot it doesn’t change anything about my hunt.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I’d agree JG. Typically I don’t care if a deer runs anyhow. Honestly dying exactly where I’ve shot it doesn’t change anything about my hunt.
Jg’s right, and most of us know that. Plus some shots you may not really know anyway. So many variables. I remember one buck I shot in the deschutes canyons. Hit him with a 165 from a 300wsm at 600 yards. Perfect shot, but the only reaction I saw was him cartwheeling off the side of the steep hillside. Sob landed 150+yards from where he was shot. Then the next one in that same canyon was shot at 648 yards with the 7mm rem mag and a 160 btsp. He did a little kick when the bullet hit, a little death wobble and then he was down. I’ve seen many elk drop quicker than that. You never know what they are going to do. Deer generally die quickly, but you punch a clean hole right through the heart and they could run another 80 yards. We’ve all see that, if we’ve hunted long enough

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, if you've hunted a while, and killed lots of game animals, you'd know that you can shoot identical animals (say a cull, mature whitetail doe) with the same rifle/ammo combo, shooting them in the same place (outside of DRT CNS shots) and they may react differently and often times do. This proves nothing, zero, nada.

JG,

I've done quite a bit of culling over the decades, including in Texas, but also in Africa and a few other places such as Ireland and New Zealand.

The only real trend I could discern was during a big cull in South Africa which I mentioned recently on another thread. A total of 184 animals were taken by me and a dozen other hunters during the month-long cull. After analyzing the results, the only really noticeable trend was that none of the animals that were wounded and either got away, or needed long trail-ups, were shot with rifle chambered for cartridges under .300 magnum recoil level. My interpretation is that many of the hunters using .300 Magnum+ cartridges flinched in varying degrees, especially after they'd been shooting for a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Related to this, I am always amazed at the number of claims of bullet failures without evidence.

We have all seen a well hit animal run 75 yards out in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, the blood tail might start say in 25 yards. Yet, I consistenly see claims from people that they took a 150 yard shot and the animal disappeared into a large thicket say 10 yards away and was never found. The shooter is thouroughly convinced the bullet pencilled thru (failed him/her) and that was the cause of losing the animal. They are 100% certain of this even though they have no physical evidence. All they have is a lack of evidence which is not a very strong case for 100% certainty.

Last edited by Mike_Dettorre; 08/18/23.

Internet analysis: 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact

Fools & fanatics are always so certain and wise people are always so questioning

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can’t understand the need or use for magnums in a culling operation. Bring a 308 Win and you’ve covered your needs nicely.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mike_Dettorre
Related to this, I am always amazed at the number of claims of bullet failures without evidince.

We have all seen a well hit animal run 75 yards out in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, the blood tail might start say in 25 yards. Yet, I consistenly see claims of from people that they took a 150 yard shot and the animal disappeared into a large thicket say 10 yards away and was never found. The shooter is thouroughly convinced the bullet pencilled thru (failed him/her) and that was the cause of losing the animal. They are 100% certain of this even though they have no physical evidence. All they have is a lack of evidence which is not a very strong case for 100% certainty.

It is amazing how you could know so much from no animal.

The funniest part is why would you hunt with a bullet that you have one iota of thought that would perform poorly?

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
RossImp,

Many of the shooters on the South African hunt brought larger rifles because they'd either never been to Africa before, or been once or twice, and were also planning to take bigger game--and trophies could be taken along with cull animals. And quite a few of the culls were "elk-sized," from gemsbok (cow elk) to blue wildebeest (bull elk).

Plus, many had fallen for the often-heard theory that African big game is far harder to kill than American game--which is BS. (I have my own theories about how that myth started, and have mentioned them on the Campfire before, but don't want to stir up that stuff right now.) And the gemsbok and blue wildebeest mentioned above have reputations for being even tough than average for African game.

As a result, many brought two rifles, one for smaller animals and one for larger and/or trophy animals. Some did bring a .308 as their lighter rifle, or something similar like a .270 Winchester, 7mm-08 or 7x57. I was invited on the trip both to hunt and to accompany some of the other hunters, who liked to BS about rifles. Consequently I not only got to witness 59 of the animals taken--and the two quickest kills on blue wildebeest were with a 7mm-08, and a .300 Winchester Magnum which the guy could shoot well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Curious JB, if you had any info on the bullet used in the 7/08 and shot placement, etc. Thanks.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

GR

But there is a noticeable trend curve... if one has, "hunted a while, and killed lots of game animals."

The question is RE: the 7RM, which have no experience with, and other suitable cartridges that, have a great deal of experience with.

If one does not notice, then one is not payin' attention.

GR

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

GR

Be very interesting to observe results in a quicker twist .270

History May Not Repeat, But it Rhymes.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 338Rules

GR

Agree.

No way to sort that out.

DF

GR

Be very interesting to observe results in a quicker twist .270

Heavy, high BC bullets at extended ranges, sure.

The 130's with good presentations and not too close generally work exceedingly well.

But the 150's at moderate speed will still drop'em, and up close or off angles aren't as critical.

Suits my hunting.

GR

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Last fall my son shot a whitetail at about 40 yards with his 7-08 and 139gr Hdy soft points. That thing left an obscene blood trail for over 100 yards. The shot was quartering and the lungs were soup. Sometimes things make you scratch your head.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I love snowy blood trails myself.

Semper Fi
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
I love snowy blood trails myself.

I do as well! I can even track them. Lol

He was so used to seeing game go down within sight he was a bit worried. He was leaving for two years in a couple of weeks and this was his last hooray for hunting for that amount of time. He said that when he saw the deer make the timber that he was a goner. After 100 yards of trailing him I started to think the same. :-)

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by 65BR
Curious JB, if you had any info on the bullet used in the 7/08 and shot placement, etc. Thanks.

Yeah, I was sitting right beside him when he took the bull. Range was around 150 yards, and he put a 140-grain AccuBond behind the shoulder as the bull stood broadside.

He was one of several guys on the trip who brought a "deer" rifle for the smaller animals (the 7mm-08) and a rifle chambered for a bigger cartridge for elk-sized animals, in his instance a .300 Winchester Magnum. But he also recognized partway through the hunt that he'd started flinching with the .300, so switched to the 7mm-08 for the rest of the hunt.

Another guy did the same thing with his pair of rifles, a 7x57 and 9.3x62--which is the combo I brought. He started flinching with the 9.3 so used the 7x57 on everything--and it worked fine.

John Steinbeck
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 57 invisible), 2,236 guests, and 1,191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,659
Posts18,493,580
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.