Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jackson_Handy
Military rucking studies have shown muscle strength and endurance matters more than cardiovascular training when rucking with heavy weight, which is why I have no issue carrying a bit more muscle mass.

Do you have any kind of a link to one of those studies? I’d be interested in reading one as I have noticed a somewhat different conclusion. The lighter a person is, the better off they generally have been hiking around, IME. The exception is having some muscle on your core, as it does help with carrying pack weight.

More muscle requires more oxygen and more muscle also is more weight that a person has to carry around with them. It it better positioned for center of gravity than a heavy pack, however.

I have seen some incredibly in shape college football players with serious muscle straight up get whooped by what I consider easy morning hikes.

GB1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Military rucking studies have shown muscle strength and endurance matters more than cardiovascular training when rucking with heavy weight, which is why I have no issue carrying a bit more muscle mass.

Do you have any kind of a link to one of those studies? I’d be interested in reading one as I have noticed a somewhat different conclusion. The lighter a person is, the better off they generally have been hiking around, IME. The exception is having some muscle on your core, as it does help with carrying pack weight.

More muscle requires more oxygen and more muscle also is more weight that a person has to carry around with them. It it better positioned for center of gravity than a heavy pack, however.

I have seen some incredibly in shape college football players with serious muscle straight up get whooped by what I consider easy morning hikes.

For clarification I said "a bit more muscle". I'm not a body builder. Also muscle strength does not always equal huge muscle mass. But let's be clear, the study showed the worst performing group in the study was the one that only trained aerobically.

Video discussing NATO rucking study

Football in general is an anaerobic sport. I am not surprised that football players would not excel at rucking.

Last edited by Jackson_Handy; 08/06/23.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T_Inman

For clarification I said "a bit more muscle". I'm not a body builder. Also muscle strength does not always equal huge muscle mass. But let's be clear, the study showed the worst performing group in the study was the one that only trained aerobically.

Video discussing NATO rucking study

Football in general is an anaerobic sport. I am not surprised that football players would not excel at rucking.

👍
I’ll check it out.

Thanks!

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
intresting points on this thread.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brad
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

A rifle's weight is NOT the same as your body's weight, and there is not much correlation between lowering one vs the other.

A rifle is a static thing that you carry. It's typically in your hands or on your shoulder, away from your center of gravity. Those pounds are, in the real world on a mountain, heavier pounds than what extra you may be packing on your body.

It stands the test of good sense to have a lean body mass, but as anyone that has spent a lifetime climbing and backpacking will tell you oz's make pounds quickly. And extra pounds on your back or in your hands conspire to deplete energy.

I'm a 60 yo, 5'10", 148 lbs man that eats a whole food, plant-based, low inflammation diet and works out hard. Last weekend I did a 20.3 mile day (actual miles - not fitbit bullchit) here in the Montana Rockies. I felt great, and can promise you there aren't a lot of guys that could have kept pace. But I will pare away ounces mercilessly to preserve energy. OUNCES MAKE POUNDS, POUNDS DEPLETE ENERGY. A rifle is just one place to lose weight, but it's an important one because it's away from your center of gravity through much of a hunting day.

Another important place to lose weight is your footwear...

Well said Brad. Why can a smaller kid further out from the fulcrum of a teeter-totter balance with a bigger kid closer in on the other side? A rifle is on a lever away from the fulcrum — the body’s center of gravity — and thus that 10 lb rifle is going to feel a lot heavier than the 7.5 lb rifle at the end of the day. Much heavier than the 2.5 lb difference would suggest. The length of the lever will accentuate the felt weight.

Making an either-or issue of it with extra body weight is a red herring. Lose the extra body weight too if you are embarking on a true mountain hunt. That has nothing to do with rifle weight issue.

It’s an old thread. But, I see the trend for many new rifles tending heavier, at least the one I heft. And making an argument that army issue weapons were heavier..well, yeah, 18 to 20 y/o kids carry them. Still, would you rather hump a BAR all day or an M1 carbine if weight alone is the issue?

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rifle weight is a personal preference. I prefer 8-9ish lbs. I find I shoot a rifle of that weight much better from field positions.

I would suggest everyone find their optimal body weight as well. Mine is around 210lbs. I'm a little over 6'1 and lift weights 5 times a week and perform cardiovascular training 5-6 days a week.

I packed out three elk last year while carrying a 10lb rifle. I noticed the bone in rear qt, front qt, and neck meat on the heaviest load. I didn't notice the rifle.....

And most have no idea what their optimal body weight is.

Including me.

Turned out to be a good 20 lbs. below what I considered "fightin' weight."

And that's with a 5-day/wk. run/lift/handball schedule.

GR

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
I'm sure an 8 lb rifle feels heavier to a 140 lb. little scrawny fugger than to a 240 lb. heavily muscled brute.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
And making an argument that army issue weapons were heavier..well, yeah, 18 to 20 y/o kids carry them.

The funny thing is that infantry guys aren't happy carrying more weight either. They're still shaving pounds and ounces off their gear where possible (i.e. field stripping MREs). Also the military isn't overly concerned if it blows out the knees of 18 to 20 year olds. The VA can deal with that problem down the road. Not quite the same situation as recreational backpacking/hunting.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 08/21/23.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Some very good points by all, with a lot of repetition from what might appear to be a single point of view. Yet some are of a somewhat contrarian stance, which is also needed to bring balance.

I rarely visit this forum for backpack hunters as I rarely carry a backpack on my back while tregging bogs or steep ridges in search of moose or other fauna. I do use them - and own several - but leave them at a spot that's handy. But I know what it is to spend days on end going through tough bogs and over rough and steep ridges. I've owned rifles of all sorts (levers, bolts, semis and single-shots) in multiple calibers and cartridges - all with handloads. Today, as in the past, I much prefer heavier rifles for offhand shooting - and most of it is from offhand - over light-'n- handy. I shoot them more accurately if that's called for without a rest. On the other hand, like others, I prefer the light-'n-handy rifles for toting long distances or in rough terrain.

However, of my four big game rifles, two are relatively light -'n - handy and two are 10 pounders: a .35 Whelen single-shot with a 3-9 x 40 scope at 7.5 lbs with a round in the chamber, and a 9.3 x 62 Tikka T3 Lite at 7.65 lbs with a 3 - 9 x 40 scope, plus 3 in a magazine clip. Both are capable of ~ 40 ft-lbs + recoil. The two brutes are a .375 H&H and a .458 Win Mag. My favorite rifle is the .458 Win Mag in a Ruger No.1 at 10.65 lbs with a Nikon 2-7 x 32 and one in the chamber plus 4 in a buttstock cartridge holder. For offhand shooting, I shoot the .458 as well as a .223.... maybe better. It has a Mag-na-Port brake that actually works. I sometimes wonder why I have the others for it's good for anything when loaded right for varmints to elephant. I do have some very lightweight .22LRs that also can kill most things when pointed right, including plenty of African game within range using solids to the brain - just ask my oldest son who spent years in Africa as a missionary and shot scores of game for protein with brain shots. He was a licensed big game hunter.

Oh, by the way, I'm 87 with a bear ticket in my pocket. Round 2 begins in a couple of weeks. My main rifle will be the .375 H&H.

Bob
www.bigbores.ca

"What shall it profit a man if he gain the whole world and lose his own soul" - Jesus

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd
And making an argument that army issue weapons were heavier..well, yeah, 18 to 20 y/o kids carry them.

The funny thing is that infantry guys aren't happy carrying more weight either. They're still shaving pounds and ounces off their gear where possible (i.e. field stripping MREs). Also the military isn't overly concerned if it blows out the knees of 18 to 20 year olds. The VA can deal with that problem down the road. Not quite the same situation as recreational backpacking/hunting.

I have (no shït) seen grunts cut the legend off a paper map to save weight. This was circa 2005, so GPS was a thing and dead reckoning wasn't a necessity, but it still blew my mind.

There usually isn't any complaints about carrying plenty of smokes of cope though....

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
There is a LOT of emphasis on lowering rifle weights as much as possible for mountain hunting, but I seldom read anything on an equal emphasis on lowering body weight for the same benefits. Lets say you are not overweight: your bmi is right where it should be. And you can either reduce your rifle weight by even 1-2 lbs, or you can work on your body weight and lose say 4-5 lbs. Is the loss of body weight going to have the same benefits on your your ability to walk at a good pace in rough conditions as that 1-2 lbs. of less rifle weight to carry. I've never seen anything on this question.

In short:

If you lose muscle and/or water and become weaker and are not focused on conditioning, then no. If you lose some excess fat (BMI is a bit out dated) while working on conditioning, then yes.

Being in shape trumps all. That means cardio, core, legs, shoulders, and core. And core.

Fretting about ounces on a rifle is fun but generally not where the most bang for buck/time will be found.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by bwinters
Not surprisingly, I agree with Brad on physical stature and conditioning. I'm 58, 5 ft 8, 155 lbs and 11-12% body fat. I spend all year staying in elk condition. Pounds on the body means something different. 2-5 lbs of muscle is not the same as 2-5 of body fat which is simply dead weight. I've weighed as much as 182 lbs back when I was into being as big and strong as I could. Elk hunting at that weight plain sucked because I had little aerobic conditioning. Mitochondria and ATP is where it's at for mountain hunting. Deadlifting 400 lbs or squatting 300 lbs wont help you at all if you dont have the aerobic base/conditioning to capitalize on that strength. Suffice to say, I'll take 2-5 lbs on my frame over 1-1.5 lbs of rifle weight.

I'm taking my Kimber Montana 308 next week (CO 1st season). Weighs 6.7 lbs with a NF SHV on board. It will likely be rebarreled after season to the Lilja 84M modifed contour. I did my 338 Fed with that contour 2 years ago. It points better and is easier to shoot offhand that the standard Kimber 84m contour.

Another factoid in the same vein is boot weight. I forgot the exact equivalent but think its 1 lb on your feet equals 10 lbs on your back. I switched to shoes for hiking this summer (Brad may have told me that several years back....). Have done a bunch of 15-17 mile days with 22 lbs pack this summer. Did several over 20. Weight on your feet is a real thing. Salomon makes their X-Ultra with 200 gr Thinsulate and waterproof plus it has a better tread pattern than the Quest 4d. I'll know how they work after next week. I literally saved 2lbs by switching from my Crispi Guide to the Salomons. Still taking the Crispis in the event it doesnt work so well.....

Good post, bump for a reread.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And again... the elephant in the room continues to be ignored.

E=MC2

A rifle dangling at arm's length being tossed around to acquire/maintain balance punches way above its weight class. Those "minor" bursts of speed require intense energy far beyond expectations.

Everyone carrying a rifle in hand while climbing a nasty incline instinctively knows it makes a difference. That rifle is live weight.

The formula points out energy equals mass times velocity squared, period.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

E=MC2

A rifle dangling at arm's length being tossed around to acquire/maintain balance punches way above its weight class. Those "minor" bursts of speed require intense energy far beyond expectations.

Everyone carrying a rifle in hand while climbing a nasty incline instinctively knows it makes a difference. That rifle is live weight.

But C in that formula is the speed of light???

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MikeS

E=MC2

Yeah, that formula is describing mass/energy duality. Nothing to do with classical mechanics in terms of inertia or kinetic energy. A more relevant equation would be E_k = 0.5mv^2.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by MikeS

E=MC2

Yeah, that formula is describing mass/energy duality. Nothing to do with classical mechanics in terms of inertia or kinetic energy. A more relevant equation would be E_k = 0.5mv^2.

Always one darned smarty pants in the crew
whistle

Semper Fi
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm sure an 8 lb rifle feels heavier to a 140 lb. little scrawny fugger than to a 240 lb. heavily muscled brute.

And I'm sure that the guy who absolutely smoked my ass on a 12 day backpack hunt in the Chugach Mountains was a scrawny little 145-lb. fugger who packed out 2/3 of his body weight.

And he would've smoked your ass too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Blackheart

And I'm sure that the guy who absolutely smoked my ass on a 12 day backpack hunt in the Chugach Mountains was a scrawny little 145-lb. fugger who packed out 2/3 of his body weight.

And he would've smoked your ass too.

That's been my experience as well - especially when the hunt drags out for a whole week. There is zero advantage in the mountains with extra weight, even muscle if it isn't contributing to helping you carry out 60-100 lbs of dead weight.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Used to work with a pretty compact ex airborne ranger guy. Once commented something along the lines of "after 24 hours without food, the Delta guys were just like the rest of us." ...

Too close for irons, switching to scope...
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I don't get the "either this, or that" false dichotomy. Go ahead and lose alll the weight you want, get in the best shape of your life; it is -still- easier to carry a significantly lighter rifle in the mountains, or anywhere else for that matter. Obviously there are a lot of other variables that go into what you decide to carry or how much you care either way, but lighter things are are easier to carry than heavier things.

Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,934
Posts18,498,740
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.