Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’m much more a hunting rifle guy but always thought one of these days I’d pick up a Gold Cup since I really enjoyed shooting one many years ago. Living in CA under Comrade Newsom that is no longer an option - legally.

So I’m now thinking I should buy an accurate 45 while I still can. Its use would be plinking at my range more than anything might be 1st gun out in emergency rather than 38/357. We have mountain lions & tweakers nearby no bears. Unlikely to be used in competition.

Under $1000 since I’m not getting a Gold Cup & it’s not going to be high volume - must be CA legal. Thanks for suggestions.

GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Several non residents on here might have good suggestions if offered a list, but like me, they may not know what's compliant.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
At the risk of being called a shill for them, I’ll nevertheless tell you that Armscor/ Rock Island Armory offers such a thing:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If by chance it doesn’t shoot quite as precise as you’d prefer, right out of the box (they’re actually doing pretty well these days), dropping in an Ed Brown match barrel from Brownells and upgrading the sights should still have you under $1,000. And, don’t overlook its limited lifetime warranty.

Every day’s an adventure.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dan Wesson Commander Bobtail and Pointman 7 are CA legal (I believe), both good and accurate options.
The list can be found at:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/certified-handguns/search

sorry, missed the under 1K part.

Last edited by dvnv; 08/22/23.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by specneeds
I’m much more a hunting rifle guy but always thought one of these days I’d pick up a Gold Cup since I really enjoyed shooting one many years ago. Living in CA under Comrade Newsom that is no longer an option - legally.

So I’m now thinking I should buy an accurate 45 while I still can. Its use would be plinking at my range more than anything might be 1st gun out in emergency rather than 38/357. We have mountain lions & tweakers nearby no bears. Unlikely to be used in competition.

Under $1000 since I’m not getting a Gold Cup & it’s not going to be high volume - must be CA legal. Thanks for suggestions.

Not long ago I seen S&W 6-shot light alloy frame revolver, steel cylinder, 4 inch? shrouded barrel (two-piece). The price was $800 because it had slight cylinder ring, no box or papers. Once you eliminate boomers from buyer pool the prices can be reasonable. This is type of gun I would be looking for. I can deal with larger gun as long as it does not pull my pants down, I hate heavy stuff. I do not want to wear both belt and suspenders.🤭

IC B2

D
dla Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Exchipy
At the risk of being called a shill for them, I’ll nevertheless tell you that Armscor/ Rock Island Armory offers such a thing:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

If by chance it doesn’t shoot quite as precise as you’d prefer, right out of the box (they’re actually doing pretty well these days), dropping in an Ed Brown match barrel from Brownells and upgrading the sights should still have you under $1,000. And, don’t overlook its limited lifetime warranty.
Well thank you for the stupidest possible post on the subject! Now anything anyone posts has to be better, since you've established the floor.
"Buy a POS 1911 and then spend more than the pistol on a barrel that won't do a damn thing unless you are a gunsmith"

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the input. I’m afraid my ignorance of pistols in the marketplace is a limiting factor. In rifles today accuracy has gotten inexpensive with1” guarantees common. Was hoping there was something similar available in a 45.

I’ve shot a few Springfield XD’s, a Sig 220, various 1911’s & I like 45’s but really never shot anything with the same feel & accuracy of the gold cup. I’m unlikely to ever carry this pistol concealed so weight isn’t a concern.

I own an old high standard target 22 & I know the gold cup I shot way back when was more accurate past 20 yards than my 22.

Here is what I see on gunbroker CA legal under $1K:

Springfield 1911 various models
Springfield XD
Glock various
Sig 220 & 1911 versions
Rock Island 1911
Several Versions of 1911from Armscor

It’s a bit confusing & the models need to be exact

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'd avoid the 1911's with the mil-spec sights, like in Exchipy's picture. I had a Colt with the same sights and IMO the sights are a challenge.

I had a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm. Initially had several issues, sent it back on their dime and it ran fine with no issues after I got it back.

I've not had an XD, but I had an XD-s and now have an XD-s Mod2 45 acp and Glock's G30 & G21. They all ran fine, but I much prefer the trigger on a 1911, though every 1911 I've had need some trigger work.

Negatives on the XD-s are magazine capacity (6+1), but I like the pic rail for a weapon light and that it's factory cut for an optic, also it's rather trim for carry.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you really like the gold cup, then pick a 1911 that works for you and go with it. Lot of great 1911's out there for less than a 1000. And don't listen to anyone that says a Rock Island is not good. They are fine 1911's. There is a 1911 web site that you can get a lot of info from. Google 1911 forum. Or you can go the way of the Glock or S&W M&P full size or even S&W Shield. Lots of great 45's out there. You could even go used and get a couple of 45's.

Last edited by COLORADO_LUCKYDOG; 08/24/23.

A 380 in my pocket is better than a 45 in my truck!

Violence may not be the best option... but it's still an option.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet." General James Mad Dog Mattis
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I'm a Kalifornia resident, and long time 1911 fan. There are lots of good, accurate 1911's to choose from. I still have two. One is a Kimber Custom Target and the other is a Mk.IV, Series 70. Both will put five into 1.5-2.0 inches at 25 yds. But here is the "trick". Not with all ammo or loads. Do you hand load ? That makes it easier.
The Mk.IV does it with Federal Hydra-Shok ammo. The Kimber with my loads. It will feed lead wad cutters. But not after the brass has been reloaded more than three times.
My suggestion is go to a well stocked gun store, like Sportsman's Warehouse, and try them for fit and feel. Buy the one that "talks to you." E

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The Gold Cup isn’t truly a match accurate gun as the barrel isn’t fitted like competition gun would be but the sights are superb. Prowl the gun shops around you, you might find a used 1911 that has what you’re looking for but changing sights isn’t a big deal. Kart makes an easy to fit match barrel that even a novice with some patience can excellent results with. I fitted one myself using all 10 of my thumbs. Getting the barrels throat right so it will feed was the biggest challenge for me but it feeds anything I try now.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks again. Yes I reload for about 10 rifle calibers today so I shouldn’t be surprised that’s an accuracy cure. My 9mm shoots a feeds one brand best too.

I’ll handle several 911’s pick the best knowing new sight’s & potential barrel change will be required to make it as accurate as I would like.

Unfortunately I have the same issue with AR’s - don’t like crummy accuracy or the price to make a really accurate one I’d like for no practical purpose. Hunting rifle accuracy fills the freezer. Pistol or AR accuracy just fills my need not to miss.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
You may want to consider an HK or a Glock.

Both are ultra reliable and well known to be consistently accurate right out of the box.

Speaking of HKs, years ago Todd Green, who was well known in the industry (sadly passed away from cancer) took an HK 45 and ran a rather well documented test on it. He had just previously wrapped up testing an HK P30, where he fired over 90K rounds though it.

With the HK 45 .45 ACP he was putting a high volume of rounds though it. At around the 50K round mark he did an accuracy test. The gun had not been cleaned in about 7000 rounds. Even after firing 50,000 rounds, the HK .45 still fired a 5 round group at 25 yards that measured 1.8"s.

You can read about some of it here :

https://hk-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/HK_News-Release_HK45-Endurance-Test_JAN_2011.pdf

The point is that you can get a superb .45 out of the box that does not need any gunsmithing and just shoot it.

Your typical 3rd Gen Glock 21 is pretty much the same in my experience.

A friend was involved in the development of the HK45. He was hired by HK as a consultant. He and Larry Vickers, who is a retired Delta SGM. They worked with HK on the project and the result was the HK45 and HK45C. Both have a well deserved reputation for ultra reliability and accuracy.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks again for the information, the HK sounds very interesting- but no 45 model from HK is legal in CA. 9mm & 40 caliber but not 45.

The Glock 21 is legal, I’ve never shot a Glock 45 but I’ve been disappointed in how I shoot a 19. I might try one at the local Glock store. It was so busy the last time I stopped by it wasn’t worth waiting.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
The one thing about a G21 is that it is a bigger gun and some with smaller hands find the grip a bit too large. I have trained a bunch of people on the G21 as it was an issued gun for an agency I worked for, and know that even people with small hands can be taught how to shoot it extremely effectively. It is just a matter of quality training and putting in the work (like most shooting).

The G21 has a great reputation for accuracy though. Put a red dot on it, and you can really optimize its performance.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B

Last edited by BMT; 08/26/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I’ve only shot one IPDA match & the fancy Kimbers had failures to feed & eject it was likely the quality of the reloads but it left a negative impression.

If it’s $1500 to get something accurate & reliable it doesn’t make much sense for me. That’s a diy Wyoming antelope hunt. Only a couple of years from retirement so I do want to make long term purchases now but maybeI’ll wait until I see a great pistol at a bargain price locally.

Again thanks for the information.

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Accurate, reliable, CA Legal .45, and in your price range is the P220.

Link:

https://wbtguns.com/handguns/sig-sauer-p220-california-legal-45-acp/

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 08/27/23.

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
In CA you have the ability to purchase a Gold Cup from a private party and transfer at a FFL. Also gun shops can consign from private parties. It may take some looking but if a Gold Cup is what you want you can find it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

194 members (10gaugemag, 300_savage, 308xray, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 26 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,160 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,116
Posts18,483,457
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.