Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Yes, but is the manufacturer's accuracy guarantee getting him what he wants?

If you had read my original outlook on this supposed accuracy guarantee then you would know why it’s BS. Believe it’s Seekins or somebody else that says if you fugg with it don’t call us. I wouldn’t buy a rifle from them or Weatherby with BS like that.
Got 3 rifles that came with an accuracy guarantee of 1/2” , 3 shots @100. Match grade or premium ammunition is the only caveat. All 3 have never failed that as normal is less than that for 5 shots.

My take, they can’t or won’t fix it. Down the road it goes.

Swifty
GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Wby notoriously adds a pressure point to their stocks. I had a Wby Mk V 280 UL. I had the stock pressure point removed, action bedded & that gun was so accurate with several loads that it surprised me.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
M
OP Offline
M
Thanks for the input. I have checked the bedding, and free float... as well as beginning to start load development.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Swifty52
Originally Posted by Ramblin_Razorback
Yes, but is the manufacturer's accuracy guarantee getting him what he wants?

If you had read my original outlook on this supposed accuracy guarantee then you would know why it’s BS. Believe it’s Seekins or somebody else that says if you fugg with it don’t call us. I wouldn’t buy a rifle from them or Weatherby with BS like that.
Got 3 rifles that came with an accuracy guarantee of 1/2” , 3 shots @100. Match grade or premium ammunition is the only caveat. All 3 have never failed that as normal is less than that for 5 shots.

My take, they can’t or won’t fix it. Down the road it goes.

Are you sure that’s Seekins policy? Seems quite the opposite of what I understood so I’m genuinely curious. I called and asked about stock modifications (shortening LOP)and they basically told me give it a try and if I fug it up they would send me a new stock. I’d never do that to them I’m any case.

Totally agree that the accuracy guarantee manufacturers offer is such a gimmick. You can take any rifle and shoot enough three shot groups until you get one that is less than MOA to validate it’s capable of doing it once in a while. Certainly doesn’t mean it will do it consistently.

Sean
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Montana64
Hello, I am new to the forum. I recently purchased a new Weatherby Backcountry 2.0 in 308. Weatherby’s guarantee is that it is a cold bore 3 shot sub-MOA rife. It only has delivered its guarantee with two commercial loads… with some outstanding groups. However, in a quick three shot string… like the Elk bull is still standing, the first shot is spot on… the second shot is often about 1.5-2 MOA away in no patternable location, and the third shot is even further from the cold bore point of aim. It’s already been back to Weatherby twice fixing issues, and verifying the cold bore guarantee… I haven’t found a single 150, or 180 grain loads that will mildly perform at 100 yards. Only the Barnes 168 gr TTSX, and Federal’s 175 gr Terminal Accent are single shot lasers. My best cold bore group is under 1.5 inches at 330 yards in a light variable wind prone from my hunting bipod. I have tried at least 5 other quality elk capable loads… all of these rounds have radically different points of impact regardless of how close in weight they are to the two “good” cold bore loads. Looking for suggestions from Cryogenic treatment, to ideas where to start reloading to address this hot string nightmare. While I love the rifle for it’s weight, appearance, it’s still a 308 I want to be able to take into the backcountry and chase elk, etc. and have the faith that the rifle can reliably perform to 350 yards on an elk sized animal in a 3-shot hunting situation string. The scope is mounted to OEM torque specs with Tally mounts, and verified ring lapped alignment, bubble leveled, Schmidt & Bender German made 6X, verified on other rifles. Rifle bore was broken in exactly per specs to Weatherby’s barrel break-in procedure. Please help find the gremlin so I can take the rifle into the Bob Marshal this fall. Thank you in advance.
It's a hunting rifle, correct?
My advice is to try and put the first shot where you want it at a random range and quit shooting groups!
I have hunting rifles and I have match rifles, my hunting rifles don't get groups shot out of them and my match rifles aren't for hunting.
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Montana64
My best cold bore group is under 1.5 inches at 330 yards in a light variable wind prone from my hunting bipod.

I have tried at least 5 other quality elk capable loads… all of these rounds have radically different points of impa

I'm not seeing gremlins around this rifle. 1.5" group at 330 yards with a hunting rifle is fantastic. That's less than 1/2 MOA.

I've had hand loaded groups change point of impact from changing only one component! So, changing loads with different POI would be normal to me.
re adjust scope settng as req'd.
Happy Hunting

M
OP Offline
M
Just to follow-up, I did cryo the barrel and action with significant results. The rifle from the factory was about a 3-4 MOA hot string rifle (pre-cryo), to about a 1 MOA hot string rifle (post-cryo). The rifle is still very particular in the two loads it likes. I have a lot more testing and load development to do. Appreciate the input and advice from everyone.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
First mistake was "WBY".... in my opinion, of course. smile. smile

But how many accurate loads do you need for the rifle? 1.5 at 300 is more than sufficient! You trying to shoot them in the eyehole or something??? smile

My .260 won't shoot well with anything but 140 gr loads, factory or reloaded, apparently. MOA with those, most any factory flavor, or the limited hand-loads I've rolled. POI almost always changes, between brands, component changes, tho I have two factory rounds, same 140, different flavors, that go same POI, at least from these two lots.

I can live with that. Trust, but verify.

True, I've not extensively trialed it.... no needn't, IMO.

But if that's your beaver stick, float it any way you want, and good luck!

I've not done it myself, but from the hype, you should have bought a Tikka in 6.5 Creed. Me too, probably. smile

Over the years, I have had at least two rifles that significantly improved their likings at or a bit after about 100 rounds down the bore.

Interesting on the cryo.

Last edited by las; 09/13/23.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I'd pick that good shooting load and run with it.

But then again I'm not a gun writer, so there is that.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Leave that rifle in the safe and use one of the Tikkas.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Originally Posted by las
First mistake was "WBY".... in my opinion, of course.

My opinion since at least the early 2000s is that Weatherby rifles tend to be very accurate, both Vanguards and Mark Vs. This is based on multiple examples--though as with many factory rifles some tweaking of the bedding can help, though have had excellent results from some with the pressure-point in the forend tip.

My first experience with a Vanguard with a walnut stock in .257 Weatherby. This was around the time the Barnes TSX was introduced, but a little before the TTSX. It's most accurate load used the 100-grain TSX with enough Ramshot Magnum to get around 3550 fps from the 24" barrel. It would only do around 1.5" for 3-shot groups--at 300 yards. Had similar results around five years later with a Mark V .270 Weatherby, also with a walnut stock.

Have also owned several other synthetic-stock Weatherbys since then, in chamberings from .240 to .300. All were very accurate.

But whatever....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Many (most) people prefer/suggest free floating the barrel with a glass bedded action area…..I like a slightly different route, which may help with your lightweight barrel!

Go with “full- length bedding! This will remove the flex/harmonics from the barrel until it exits the stock! Worst case scenario, it doesn’t work…..then you open-up the bedding and try other methods!

As a side benefit…..the full- length bedding eliminates all gap between the barrel and stock. This will stop any debris from entering the barrel channel or when hunting getting water or snow in the channel and then freezing….either which could create a pressure point, altering the barrel harmonics, and giving you a change of zero! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my experience full-length bedding only works consistently in a very stiff and stable stock--as in Melvin Forbes' Ultra Light rifles. Not all synthetic stocks are that stiff and stable, and in general neither are wood stocks--though if "cured" long enough they can be.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
In my experience full-length bedding only works consistently in a very stiff and stable stock--as in Melvin Forbes' Ultra Light rifles. Not all synthetic stocks are that stiff and stable, and in general neither are wood stocks--though if "cured" long enough they can be.

I guess that I got lucky with my old McMillan!

I have another rifle that definitely has a flexible stock….I was considering an attempt to stiffen the stock by placing and bedding into the stock a thick walled aluminum square tubing!

Possible…….or a pipe dream? memtb

Last edited by memtb; 09/13/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I've full-length bedded 4 rifles. It worked 50/50. The M98 30-06 with heavy 27 inch heavy barrel will consistently put 3 into an inch at 300 yards with most any factory. Have yet to "bother" with 5 shot trials or hand loads. smile. Still messing with the M70 fwt 7 Mauser tho.

I just don't like Weatherby's, and it has nothing to do with inherent accuracy, or not. I have a list.... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
From a clean, cold barrel, shoot it on a good day, no wind, good rest…only one shot and hope it is a good one. Take it to the house, clean it put in safe, go mow the yard. Next good day, do same thing over again. Do this for 3 or 5 days, your choice, see how the groups look. If you can get 1/2 to 3/4 MOA groups, go hunting. Nothing wrong with the gun if you can do this. That 2nd and 3rd shot on that bull will put him down if on a pie plate.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

645 members (12344mag, 1moredeer, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 73 invisible), 3,016 guests, and 1,378 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,231
Posts18,485,673
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.