Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Unfortunately, I’ll be getting my Dads Remington 700 ADL in 7mm much sooner than I’d like. This was his main hunting rifle, and the first rifle I hunted with in High School….. The trigger has been replaced by Remington and now the bolt doesn’t lock when on “Safe.” The original trigger actually discharged twice over the years, and a I’ve heard rumors the replacement trigger have issues as well. I’d like to replace the whole damn thing so that’s not always in the back of my mind, and I’d like the bolt to lock when on safe. Does anyone make a drop in replacement trigger that does that, and if so, who makes the best one? TIA.

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Skip the lock and put in a triggertech.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Without the lock you can cycle the bolt without take it the trigger off safe, it makes loading and unloading a little safer.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Optics planet has a TriggerTech independence for $124.
I bought a couple last year and may grab another

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Remington replaced the 1946 Walker trigger in new rifles starting in 2007 with their new trigger. That DESIGN solved the problem of unintentional discharges. The problem is that a handful of guns made 2007-2014 somehow got adhesive inside the trigger housing during assembly that led to a handful of unintentional discharges. Remington did a recall on those guns to inspect them and replace any with adhesive in the trigger group.

If your dad's rifle was returned it has the new design and should be safe to use. I have no personal experience with the new trigger, but by all accounts, it isn't as smooth and light as the original nor most of the aftermarket triggers. If you're worried about the gun discharging on its own that shouldn't be a problem. If you want a better trigger, then I'd go after market.

FWIW Remington changed the safety so that it could be opened with the safety in the "SAFE" position in the early 80's. That was their response to the multiple lawsuits from guns discharging. MOST of them would discharge as the safety was moved to the "Fire" position. Routine handling of guns with those triggers could lead to the sear disengaging. When that happened the guns safety was the only thing holding the firing pin back. When shooters moved the safety to the "Fire" position to unload their rifles the firing pin would fall with no trigger pull.

Changing the safety so that it no longer locked the bolt down did greatly reduce incidents. You could open the action to unload with the safety in the 'SAFE" position. But it didn't really solve the problem. My 1974 production 700 locked the bolt down. Mine also dropped the firing pin on 2 occasions. Fortunately for me it was on an empty chamber both times. In my case I pulled my rifle out of the safe and as always, I'd open the action to verify it was unloaded. Each time I heard the firing pin fall as soon as I touched the safety. It was pretty rare. Only twice in 40 years of ownership. The 1st time I thought it was a fluke. I even questioned if I'd somehow hit the trigger by mistake. But after the 2nd time I bought a Timeny.

To my knowledge none of the aftermarket triggers will allow you to keep the bolt locked down. You'd have to go back to the 1946-2006 design.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Put in a three position one!

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
I have never seen a 700 trigger that came from the factory discharge accidentally with a factory setting. It is when individuals start messing with the trigger and no knowledge of that trigger that things take place.

Last edited by vixen; 08/25/23.
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by vixen
I have never seen a 700 trigger that came from the factory discharge accidentally with a factory setting. It is when individuals start messing with the trigger and no knowledge of that trigger that things take place.

The original trigger was 110% from the factory. My dad bought it brand new and he wasn’t one to tinker with guns. Me on the other hand, I can’t stand a 100% factory rifle. 🤣

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jkob
Put in a three position one!

That is another option, as I love my Kimber and M-70 three position safeties. However, I’m still gun-shy about the gun even with the new Remington trigger. One of the discharges occurred when I was closing the bolt with my hand nowhere near the trigger. The gun hasn’t been hunted with since, but I’d like to use it now that my dad is sick and it’s mine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Try and re-set the trigger, sounds like too light or not enough sear engagement

+Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Jkob
Try and re-set the trigger, sounds like too light or not enough sear engagement

Remington paid to have one of their authorized smiths put a new trigger in it back in the mid early to mid 2000’s, but the gun hasn't been shot since. I will say the new trigger definitely has the lawyer trigger in it, and it hasn’t been touched either. Im still leery of it though. My dad has late stage dementia and I want to hunt with the gun now that it’s mine, that’s why I was thinking new trigger. With a new trigger it won’t ever be on the back of my mind, and the TriggerTech Primary might be a great option.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Great Scott, just buy a Timney trigger for $106.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1026242441?pid=344480

“To expect defeat is nine-tenths of defeat itself. It becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. It is best to plan for all eventualities then believe in success, and only cross the failure bridge if you come to it."
Francis Marion - The Swamp Fox
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Skip the lock and put in a triggertech.

Or a Timney, either will work great for you. But the bolt will not be locked.

NRA Patron
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I much prefer the Shilen trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd be tempted to track down a Geissele Super 700 2 stage trigger for it.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Let me know if you ever want a lesson in shooting and actually using a MEASURING device... ha ha.. .
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for all the replies. I’ve read great reviews about the trigger tech, so that’s what I’m going to go with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good choice you will be happy with it.

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

57 members (300_savage, 257robertsimp, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 10 invisible), 1,622 guests, and 841 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,448
Posts18,528,817
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.