-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they do a 6CM, I hope they use a 1-7. I loaded some 115 Bergers for my Barrett, just a starting load, and they did just fine. A bonded slug of the same weight ought to be pretty effective on even a fairly large critter.

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
If they produce LH rifles in short actions, I'll pick one up.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Originally Posted by 375PigGuy
Originally Posted by okie john
I've never handled a NULA and I wish everyone concerned all the best. But based on 30 years of hunting in very thick brush, I have a big problem with this statement:

Many assume lightweight rifles are difficult to shoot off-hand. They can be, but it’s not the lack of weight that’s the problem—it’s poor balance. Lots of lightweight rifles are butt heavy. This makes them handle lithely but also makes them hard to hold on target. This rifle, just as with the original NULA rifles before it, balances at the front guard screw, which is right between your hands.

Balance should be at the front action screw, not the front guard screw. It makes a world of difference.

Apart from that, he got it right.

Okie John

Hello Okie John.

While I haven’t handled the rifle that may be a mistake in his description - my ULAs balance at the front action screw except for the 24” #2 .25 cals which are a bit more front heavy than the short actions

NULAs/ULAs balance differently depending the action and barrel weight--and sometimes even the stocks. Melvin would sometimes make the stocks somewhat differently to tune the balance.

As I have pointed out in more than one article, a more accurate description of balance point is how many inches it's in front of the trigger, not the screws. (The same is true of break-action shotguns, instead of the hinge-pin.)

What might that distance be for a rifle?
https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/tips-on-rifle-balance/372426

I read that and am lost on why the trigger vs. the front action screw on a bolt action rifle as a datum matters? I am fiddling with a 416 Rem M70 that I picked up from Karl Feldcamp's shop yesterday after a pretty healthy barrel fluting (among other things). In my hands the rifle "balances" far better that it did prior to the fluting in part because the McM stock weight 8 oz less than the factory wood stock.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The trigger is a relatively fixed point that would be comparable on all types of rifles, whether bolt action, lever, or something else entirely.
For example, use the front action screw balance point on a Remington 700 long action vs a Remington 700 short action as a comparison, when both are set up with the same barrel contour, bore diameter and length, along scope, mounts, and stock. The long action will have more weight behind the front action screw, since the front action screw isn't a fixed point between both rifles.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
It seems to me this morning that, while a more consistent reference point than the front action screw, even the trigger isn’t ideal. The rifle is not supported (in part) by the trigger finger but by the hand behind it, which acts as sort of a fulcrum. Grip geometries vary substantially, which causes variation in the distance from grip to trigger, along with the curvature of the finger to reach the trigger. A more closed, vertical grip changes the relationship between grip and trigger, versus an open, straight grip. Given the difficulty in consistently pinpointing and measuring the “center of grip,” however, using the trigger as a reference may be the best we’ve got.

IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yep, agreed on all of that. Plus, there's there's both "static" and "dynamic" balance, but the dynamic is discussed more among shotgunners and rifle people who shoot moving targets--whether animals or paper. There are professional running-boat target shooters in Europe--especially in Germany, of course--who have their own ideas about rifle balance. Have shot the running-boat targets over there and even in Texas, on a pig hunt hosted by Sauer, which set up a standard running-pig range for pre-hunt practice.

But the trigger is a far more meaningful point for static balance than any action-screw....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Yep, agreed on all of that. Plus, there's there's both "static" and "dynamic" balance, but the dynamic is discussed more among shotgunners and rifle people who shoot moving targets--whether animals or paper. There are professional running-boat target shooters in Europe--especially in Germany, of course--who have their own ideas about rifle balance. Have shot the running-boat targets over there and even in Texas, on a pig hunt hosted by Sauer, which set up a standard running-pig range for pre-hunt practice.

But the trigger is a far more meaningful point for static balance than any action-screw....

I hope those euros are using whalers!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Balance is EASILY skewed,but Mechanics ain't. Hail Robbie. Hint.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I'll wait for their 7x57 and 404 Jeffery builds.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BwanaCat

Grin...

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by BwanaCat

Grin...

And wait … 😂

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I hope to get my new NULA in 308 with a 20 inch barrel in the next 10 days or so. If I was a betting man I would bet that it shoots as good as Melvins rifles did.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I hope to get my new NULA in 308 with a 20 inch barrel in the next 10 days or so. If I was a betting man I would bet that it shoots as good as Melvins rifles do.

FIFY

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 375PigGuy
Originally Posted by okie john
I've never handled a NULA and I wish everyone concerned all the best. But based on 30 years of hunting in very thick brush, I have a big problem with this statement:

Many assume lightweight rifles are difficult to shoot off-hand. They can be, but it’s not the lack of weight that’s the problem—it’s poor balance. Lots of lightweight rifles are butt heavy. This makes them handle lithely but also makes them hard to hold on target. This rifle, just as with the original NULA rifles before it, balances at the front guard screw, which is right between your hands.

Balance should be at the front action screw, not the front guard screw. It makes a world of difference.

Apart from that, he got it right.

Okie John

Hello Okie John.

While I haven’t handled the rifle that may be a mistake in his description - my ULAs balance at the front action screw except for the 24” #2 .25 cals which are a bit more front heavy than the short actions

NULAs/ULAs balance differently depending the action and barrel weight--and sometimes even the stocks. Melvin would sometimes make the stocks somewhat differently to tune the balance.

As I have pointed out in more than one article, a more accurate description of balance point is how many inches it's in front of the trigger, not the screws. (The same is true of break-action shotguns, instead of the hinge-pin.)

Sorry, but I agree with Okie John. When they say "guard screw", that makes it sound like he's referring to the trigger guard. Or he just doesn't know wtf he's talking about. On most well balanced hunting rifles, I prefer the balance point to be right at the front action screw as well. It's just easier to see it that way, rather than saying 4 inches in front of the trigger. KISS.. Most of us here are talking about bolt actions. As the NULA or Wilson is: A bolt action rifle. We are not discussing a box lock, Merkel, or Fox side by side.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Brokedick Beezer has never even fhuqking seen one,let alone shot same. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Owned a NULA for several years in 7/08. Fabulous rifle and builder, and glad I scratched that itch before Melvin retired. Sold it and kept my heavier Sako 75 Finnlite 7/08 which for me has a perfect weight of a little over 7lb.

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Guessing balance isn’t to important for riding the bench and photo ops.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Sorry, but I agree with Okie John. When they say "guard screw", that makes it sound like he's referring to the trigger guard. Or he just doesn't know wtf he's talking about. On most well balanced hunting rifles, I prefer the balance point to be right at the front action screw as well. It's just easier to see it that way, rather than saying 4 inches in front of the trigger. KISS.. Most of us here are talking about bolt actions. As the NULA or Wilson is: A bolt action rifle. We are not discussing a box lock, Merkel, or Fox side by side.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
She can't even produce a picture. Hint.

Fhuqking LAUGHING!...................

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wilson/NULA #49 is for sale.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/1008060743

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
I'll stick with my Fieldcraft 270 4 shots 4 elk. 2 running although close.

MOLON LABE
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1badf350, 160user, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,275 guests, and 1,178 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,005
Posts18,500,074
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.